MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PCB MANUFACTURE IN UK?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author PCB MANUFACTURE IN UK?
303monkey
Can anyone point me in the direction of reliable/cheap PCB manufactures in the UK.
I know you get what you pay for, but some pointers would be appreciated.
neil.johnson
What sort of PCB? Is it your own design, or one from the web? How many copies do you want? What is your budget?

For hobby use you're not going to get much better that Seeed, but they're in China.

You might want to look at PCBTrain run by Newbury Circuits.

Local PCB fabs provide rapid turn-around for companies needing boards quickly, and don't mind paying more.

Neil
303monkey
It's one from the web. It'a gerber file
cygmu
My enquiries with UK fabricators have always sent me back to China. The UK fabs cost a factor of 10 - 20 more than the Chinese ones. Allpcb ships boards by DHL or TNT to the UK for free so the total turnaround time is about a week, which is very hard to believe and harder to beat.
cretaceousear
There was a guy on Ebay who used to advertise milled boards quite cheaply - I never tried one and don't have a link - sorry, bit of a useless comment!
Bartimaeus
I don't know of any PCB manufacturers in the UK, but if you really want to avoid Chinese boards then I'd recommend OSHpark. They aren't too expensive, they let you order small batches, and the boards are great quality. Oh, and they're purple!
whoop_john
Minnitron used to deal a lot with magazine orders for hobbyists, back in the day, so they are used to people like us. I had a few boards made by them in recent years, but nothing competes with the Chinese prices and turnaround.

I've also had good service from Spirit circuits.

My personal favourite right now is Elecrow in China. I've made dozens of PCBs through them. Why them especially? Because they include different colours as standard and, more importantly for me, if I want milled shapes and complicated cutouts then they are included in the price.

Most Chinese will charge you a panelisation fee if they detect more than one circuit on a PCB, but with Elecrow they accept milled tabbed multi-circuits without a problem. Also Elecrow have always been responsive if they detect a problem.
neil.johnson
303monkey wrote:

Try Seeed then, low cost and reasonable postage.

https://www.seeedstudio.com

I do use local PCB fabs, but only for exotic stuff or for fast turn around. Either way expect to pay ££££.

Neil
whoop_john
neil.johnson wrote:
303monkey wrote:

Try Seeed then, low cost and reasonable postage.

https://www.seeedstudio.com

I do use local PCB fabs, but only for exotic stuff or for fast turn around. Either way expect to pay ££££.

Neil

I used to use Seeedstudio. But I see they still have the usual issues which made me leave them.

1] You don't get to see the shipping fee until right to the end after you entered payment details etc. This is usually where these places make their markup. It's a devious tactic.

2] You can't split different designs up on the same PCB - it says "So if you want to separate multiple boards with V-cut or milled slots, please make sure each sub-board is the same".

So I shall stick with Elecrow, who have similar prices without the aggro.
neil.johnson
whoop_john wrote:
1] You don't get to see the shipping fee until right to the end after you entered payment details etc. This is usually where these places make their markup. It's a devious tactic.

Oh, ...odd. When I place an order with Seeed I can select the postage options and see the price before I enter payment details. In fact, you can't proceed to the payment page until you have completed the shipping selection:

Neil
neil.johnson
And for the ultimate online gocompare-for-pcbs:

https://pcbshopper.com/

Neil
gabba@gabi
hm,
that have sounded promising " but with Elecrow they accept milled tabbed multi-circuits without a problem"
but i found this:
https://www.elecrow.com/blog/how-to-reduce-cost-with-panelizing-servic e/

do they have changed something?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1