MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland Space-Echo input mod question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Roland Space-Echo input mod question
pustule
I recently saw a post by EchoFix on instagram (HERE) explaining that they modded the instrument input to be "both guitar and keyboard friendly".

I've noticed that it's very easy to max my RE-150 out when using it with my Buchla modular synth, so i'm interested in having something like this done to my space echo.

I'm wondering if anyone has any info about what might have been done to it? I tried contacting EchoFix, but they (understandably) wouldn't give me much info because they mod these things as a business.

Isn't the whole notion of an "instrument" input designed to be used with line level signals? Or was this instrument input meant to be mainly used for guitar's?
abelovesfun
According to the manual here: http://dl.lojinx.com/analoghell/RolandRE150_OwnersManual.pdf The Instrument input appears to have been meant for mixer effects sends, so: line level (less than modular).
pustule
abelovesfun wrote:
According to the manual here: http://dl.lojinx.com/analoghell/RolandRE150_OwnersManual.pdf The Instrument input appears to have been meant for mixer effects sends, so: line level (less than modular).


Ah, good to know. I was under the impression that a Buchla audio signal was line level even though it's a modular synth, but maybe it's still louder then typical mixer signals... Do you suspect that this mod has some sort of attenuation on the instrument input then?
papz
An easy way to do it is adding a resistor in series with the jack tip and one between the input jack tip and ground.
I did it in my RE-20 pedal years ago because its outputs got overdriven too easily with my Synthi.
I used
- 10k resistor in series with the tip
- 820 ohms resistor between the tip and ring (select on test, the lower the resistance the higher the attenuation of the input signal).
pustule
papz wrote:
An easy way to do it is adding a resistor between the input jack tip and ground.
I did it in my RE-20 pedal years ago because its outputs got overdriven too easily with my Synthi.
From memory I used 10k, but you can experiment with various values to find what best fits your needs.
The lower the resistance the higher the attenuation of the input signal.


Thanks for the idea Papz! That sounds easy enough ;-)
papz
Sorry, looking in my RE-20, I realized that my explanation above was incomplete and I edited it.
N_Salisbury
A pad would be good to build for the input. You could just make a pad cable instead of modding the tape echo. It'd be the easiest solution in my opinion.

This site is a good reference I've used. I would use this to calculate probably a -20db pad. If you need help calculating your values let me know!

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/
pustule
N_Salisbury wrote:
A pad would be good to build for the input. You could just make a pad cable instead of modding the tape echo. It'd be the easiest solution in my opinion.

This site is a good reference I've used. I would use this to calculate probably a -20db pad. If you need help calculating your values let me know!

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/



Thats a really good idea, thanks! Happy to not need to mod my space echo. I'll look into making this soon.
papz
This article may help for the cable : https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-how-to-hookup-guitar-pedal s-to-synth-or-keyboard

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group