MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[OPEN SOURCED] Buchla style panel for Furthrrrr Generator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author [OPEN SOURCED] Buchla style panel for Furthrrrr Generator
mritenburg
Prototype panel was delivered today. The brushed aluminum and printing look excellent.

If you want to get one of these panels, please PM me. I'm getting a final count.

Target price is $55 USD + shipping.

I will be ordering from Front Panel Express.

The final panel will have a few changes from the prototype to address feedback and requests:

1. FURTHRRRR GENERATOR (4x R's)
2. ENDORPHIN.ES VIENNA AUSTRIA
3. Bi-polar arrows for attenuvertors
4. Different increment markings for CV inputs
5. low/high instead of lo/high for modulation oscillator

Kent
Is this in 3u or 4u?
mritenburg
Kent wrote:
Is this in 3u or 4u?

Euro (3U)

I updated the description above.

Thanks!
sempervirent
If you're going to use someone else's graphics it would be nice to ask permission first... in this case you've borrowed the knob graphics from my Buchla module mockups in order to sell something of your own design.
mritenburg
sempervirent wrote:
If you're going to use someone else's graphics it would be nice to ask permission first... in this case you've borrowed the knob graphics from my Buchla module mockups in order to sell something of your own design.

I'm sorry. I'm confused, do you work for Buchla, Endorphin.es, or Rogan?
mritenburg
sempervirent wrote:

Oh, you're Grayscale. You have a business selling alt panels. You don't have to worry. This project is no threat to your business.

Just so we are clear. All of the graphics used in this project were created by me, by hand, in Adobe Illustrator - including the knobs.

I began with the milling template for the holes and then designed each and every graphic element by hand.

So before you start accusing some one of something dishonest, you should take the time to ask a few questions and get your facts straight.

huffnPuff
So what sempervirent just did was list the module as his own, take the picture down and lock it.
Dead Banana

Besides being a bully you are also abusing modular grid - an asset the entire community and your own business benefit. Not a smart move.
mritenburg
huffnPuff wrote:
So what sempervirent just did was list the module as his own, take the picture down and lock it.
:deadbanana:

Besides being a bully you are also abusing modular grid - an asset the entire community and your own business benefit. Not a smart move.

Shrug. I'm only doing this for fun and because I want a Buchla style panel for my Furthrrrr Generator. I'm not trying to make any money off this. I only opened up the order because of the interest that was shown in the Furthrrrr Generator thread.

Even if sempervirent / grayscale somehow had exclusive rights to the look and feel of Buchla panel graphics and Rogan Knobs, which he doesn't, he could have simply sent me a PM to discuss this.

Instead he just shits on the project.

Definitely a bully...
huffnPuff
Bravo sempervirent for using modulargrid as a weapon. I reported that in the relevant thread.
x2mirko
I can see why sempervirent could think that these knobs are copied - they're similar, but that's also because the graphics are simple. They certainly aren't identical (e.g. the middle part is definitely different), but if one was already suspicious, one could assume you copied knobs from their picture and changed them just slightly.

edit: This was written under false assumptions - the mobile device I looked at the images with must've scaled the image wrong or something - anyways, I don't see a difference, either.

I also think it's an absurd overreaction from them, but instead of everyone escalating this further and getting aggressive about it, maybe you could just put up an image with some other or slightly changed knobs? It's not like the knobs are the important part.

Then they'll have to shut up about it and this can move forward in peace? seriously, i just don't get it
Rex Coil 7
... hol'up hol'up hol'up ... stop the damn bus ... wait a second here ... I'm probably too stupid to understand what's going on here. But is this major hissy fit panty wedgie all about party#1 (sempervirent) claiming that party#2 (mritenburg) used an image of party#1's knobs in party#2's rendering of a module panel?

So all of this is over some fucking knobs? hmmm.....

I feel as though I'm missing something here. seriously, i just don't get it

Actually, I'm not feeling like I'm missing something ... I'm totally confused is it what it is!

Put it up?

Took it down?

Locked?

Somehow sullied Modular Grid?

Bullied?

Say what?

hmmm..... d'oh! seriously, i just don't get it
sempervirent
Thanks for the diplomatic response @x2mirko

As for @Rex it's a lot of work to design and manufacture modules and every aspect of the process is time-consuming and important to the finished product.

I've responded in the Euro subforum and that's all I have to say about this for now.
jersupereq
I'm so confused by this argument, everyone is copying buchla's panel style. Arn't they the only ones that would have a real reason to be upset?
flts
So basically...

We've come to the point, where there's an online quarrel / dispute, because using the very same style knob images in a mockup of a non-profit panel that aims to look like it would be a Don Buchla design, as in other person's previous designs, that aim to look like they would be a Don Buchla designs, both of which are panels for something chiefly / wholly designed by someone else, just adapted to look like Don Buchla's designs because people want their synths to look like Don Buchla wanted to when he was aliv... Um. I lost track already.

(Thanks to mirko for being easy-going and sensible, this doesn't need to be a fight of principle as they're just mockups, I'm wondering why this was brought out to public in the first place as it probably could have been solved with a simple PM ...)

Can we talk about taco sauce recipes instead like on the other subforums or is that forbidden? Do people have any good ones? I'm an amateur when it comes to that, just did some tomato relish from homegrown tomatoes but guessing that's going to be pretty vinegar'y for that specific purpose...
flts
Btw.

x2mirko wrote:
I can see why sempervirent could think that these knobs are copied - they're similar, but that's also because the graphics are simple. They certainly aren't identical (e.g. the middle part is definitely different)

You certainly have better eye than I do. One is Grayscale MSV mockup, another the Furthrrrr repanel mockup, both from MG. Can you tell which is which? No peeking on which one has the worse compression artifacts on MG as that (and my laziness to put both to exact same scale) are the major differences I see here.

Looking at the details in the zoomed images, it seems pretty unlikely that they are two different images made by two different people from scratch, unless one of the designers was looking at the other designers' work very closely trying to replicate the look to a pixel level including the exact shape of the arc. And was very skilled at doing it.

Sorry for butting in for something that isn't really my business, and how about the taco sauce recipes?
stuartsayes
mritenburg

I'm super into this panel, any more info?
stuartsayes
so, are there ANY gray panels available or in the works for the Furthrrrr?

very confused at the moment...
flts
stuartsayes wrote:
so, are there ANY gray panels available or in the works for the Furthrrrr?

very confused at the moment...

The info in the first post is correct - the "Buchla style" panel in the picture should be in preproduction and coming up soon, probably best to PM mritenburg and express interest / ask for pricing.

The debate in the thread is just about some of the visual elements used in the "mockup" image and not the final panel, so I would assume / hope it won't affect the production of the panel in any way.
x2mirko
flts wrote:
Btw.

x2mirko wrote:
I can see why sempervirent could think that these knobs are copied - they're similar, but that's also because the graphics are simple. They certainly aren't identical (e.g. the middle part is definitely different)

You certainly have better eye than I do. One is Grayscale MSV mockup, another the Furthrrrr repanel mockup, both from MG. Can you tell which is which?

You are absolutely right. I'm a bit confused because before I wrote that post, I zoomed into the original image above and the middle of the knobs was all blurred out (more than was to be expected from the lower resolution). I don't know what was going on there, maybe bad scaling by my browser/device. But now that I'm doing the same operation on my pc, I don't see differences, either. I stand corrected.
flts
^- Thanks, and I hope I didn't come across as (too) sarcastic in my reply before. It was pretty late at night, being tired I was genuinely perplexed whether there were some minute differences I simply couldn't see even with a zoom.

(And pretty annoyed I couldn't find any lol )
Pailo
... it makes me laugh that people just take other peoples
work and then call them bullies....
jersupereq
flts wrote:
Can we talk about taco sauce recipes instead like on the other subforums or is that forbidden? Do people have any good ones? I'm an amateur when it comes to that, just did some tomato relish from homegrown tomatoes but guessing that's going to be pretty vinegar'y for that specific purpose...

mritenburg
stuartsayes wrote:
mritenburg

I'm super into this panel, any more info?

I'm still doing this panel. I will be receiving my prototype this Wednesday.

And just to piss everyone off further, I have been asked if I could do a panel that would fit with a Verbos system. Since you know, I have no creativity or graphic design skills, I never could have created this on my own:

Send me a PM if you are interested.
mritenburg
Prototype panel arrived. See first post.
bartelswashere
mritenburg
Hey! I am very interested in a panel for a furthrrr!
Let me know what i need to do and when!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2