MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question regarding power / 50 hz vs 60 hz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Question regarding power / 50 hz vs 60 hz
fwheel
Hi,

I recently purchased the almighty Tachyons+ Vortex Decoder. I live in Europe, so I knew that I should buy a step down converter that drops the volts from 230 to 115, but what I didn't know was the difference of hertz in the US and Europe. In US machines operate on 60hz while in EU it's 50hz.

Now the VD is a modder version of Archer Super Video Processor, on which it says 60hz in the back. My converter doesn't convert the frequency, just the volts. My question is, is the hz of utmost importance? Is it possible that I could break the machine if I plug it in?

Wish we could all live in a unified world where everyone would speak of kilos and meters and use the same power specs waah
joem
fwheel wrote:
My question is, is the hz of utmost importance? Is it possible that I could break the machine if I plug it in?

There's no universal answer to this, since it depends on how the electronics were designed. Often (but not always), if the specific Hz is mentioned on the device, it matters. Unfortunately I have no idea about your specific device. My suggestion: ask Tachyons.

fwheel wrote:
Wish we could all live in a unified world where everyone would speak of kilos and meters and use the same power specs waah

Same. Alas to change things now would require massive changes to existing infrastructure. Not saying it's impossible or will never happen, but it's very unlikely that there's any reason a country/region would take on the kind of costs involved in such a change.

That's one nice thing about devices that use wall warts or laptop-style power supplies... All you have to do is switch that power adapter to use the device in a country with different power specs.
fwheel
Thanks for your response, joem. Thankfully most new devices work with 50/60hz these days.

I asked around from people who deal with electronic device and also looked for options regarding hz converters (which are all crazy expensive and robust), so I decided to bite the bullet and just plug it in – nothing bad happened and my VD seems to work like intended.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1