MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Boss Waza reissue Dimension C chorus - DC-2W
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Boss Waza reissue Dimension C chorus - DC-2W
Jason Brock
This looks great, I'm very tempted.
It can also switch into Dimension D rack mode.
https://www.boss.info/global/products/dc-2w/
Henfield
So,

They will recreate their effects units as with Analog Circuitry, but they won't do the same for their synthesizers and drum machines?
tim gueguen
Henfield wrote:
So,

They will recreate their effects units as with Analog Circuitry, but they won't do the same for their synthesizers and drum machines?

It's often a lot easier to duplicate an old pedal than an old synth. A lot of them use components that are still in production, or can be made with currently produced components, versus having to replicate the filter chips in a Juno 106.
Jason Brock
Henfield wrote:
So,

Honestly it's a excellent business strategy. Don't give people exactly what they want, just make a product that is almost what they want - close enough so they'll buy it. Then in a couple of years you can manufacture another "almost" something and they'll buy that too.
chamomileshark
I've seen loads of demos for guitar, one with the SH101 boutique - like to hear it on a poly synth.
felixer
wondering if it's as noisy as the original. which i have btw
thetwlo
how does it sound compared to the Behringer clone from a few years ago?
They were $20 for a while on Amazon.

Sadly, the better made TC branded one doesn't have stereo outs.
moremagic
chamomileshark wrote:
I've seen loads of demos for guitar, one with the SH101 boutique - like to hear it on a poly synth.
isnt the sh-01a (aint that what they callin it?) a 4 voice poly?
definitely, i agree more than 4 vcos would be nice, if thats what you mean
thetwlo
so, can you not have all 4 buttons engaged(or more than two)
I saw that mentioned, but couldn't verify.
chamomileshark
moremagic wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:
isnt the sh-01a (aint that what they callin it?) a 4 voice poly?
definitely, i agree more than 4 vcos would be nice, if thats what you mean

True, but it was being played monophonically
chamomileshark
thetwlo wrote:
so, can you not have all 4 buttons engaged(or more than two)
I saw that mentioned, but couldn't verify.

I've seen demos with two buttons down simultaneously.
MindMachine
Bought.
I recently purchased a Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water which was DOA.
After a not best cure to the DOA, this will do for now with a more modulating pedal in front/after.
Rex Coil 7
Jason Brock wrote:
This looks great, I'm very tempted.
It can also switch into Dimension D rack mode.
https://www.boss.info/global/products/dc-2w/
I've been eyeballing that one for a while now. I've been using the "Dimension" chorus model in the Line 6 M13 and been pretty happy with it, but I'm open to trying something else as well.

I'm just a bit ~eye rolling~ over the "Waza Craft" nonsense. It seems like a method to simply add 25% to the price without any demonstrable sonic difference.

Innocent until proven guilty, though ... I guess. seriously, i just don't get it

chamomileshark wrote:
... like to hear it on a poly synth.
I really would like to hear one of these ~Dimension~ units with a full-on analog poly synth myself. Big string sounds, big synthy-brass sounds, and bass sounds. In a musical and a mix context, not just some ~drone~ garbage.

Damn I'm a cranky bastard today. Sorry folks. Rage!
Revok
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I'm just a bit ~eye rolling~ over the "Waza Craft" nonsense. It seems like a method to simply add 25% to the price without any demonstrable sonic difference.

Innocent until proven guilty, though ... I guess. seriously, i just don't get it

They're made in Japan. That's about it. The Dimension D aspect of this one is pretty cool though. It'd be cooler if it was designed to handle line level.
chamomileshark
Revok wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

They're made in Japan. That's about it. The Dimension D aspect of this one is pretty cool though. It'd be cooler if it was designed to handle line level.

so do you just need to turn the output from a modular down for it? I've seen videos with the SH101 re-issue but I think they have lower output levels?
PapaLazarou
Eenteresting
Revok
chamomileshark wrote:

so do you just need to turn the output from a modular down for it? I've seen videos with the SH101 re-issue but I think they have lower output levels?

Yes. Quite a bit. This pedal expects -20 dBu. It's easy enough to build a voltage divider in a 1/4" plug though.
Rex Coil 7
Revok wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes. Quite a bit. This pedal expects -20 dBu. It's easy enough to build a voltage divider in a 1/4" plug though.
Do you use an output VCA on your modular?
chamomileshark
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Revok wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes
Rex Coil 7
chamomileshark wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Revok wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes
Thanks ...

... and Member *Revok, yourself?
Revok
I usually go straight into a mixer that can handle the modular levels or use a cable with the voltage divider from CGS60 built into the plug if I want to use it with guitar pedals or amps. The values are 22k and 1k.

edit: plug not jack
Rex Coil 7
Revok wrote:
This pedal expects -20 dBu. It's easy enough to build a voltage divider in a 1/4" plug though.

Revok wrote:
I usually go straight into a mixer that can handle the modular levels or use a cable with the voltage divider from CGS60 built into the plug if I want to use it with guitar pedals or amps. The values are 22k and 1k.

edit: plug not jack
This is clever. I've done the same with clipping diodes.

RE; VCA as output module ... I guess I'm used to setting up my modular patches using a VCA at the end of the signal chain. Not purely for signal attenuation but mostly as part of the patch itself. Then again, I also use modular synths in the role of performance synth so that's another thing that drives me to using a VCA on the end of the patch. I see the entire chain as "the patch" .... that is to say, from wave form source (VCO or whatever) all the way through the FX devices until the signal hits the main desk mixer. Stompboxes included. So from VCO to stompbox, that's my interpretation of "patch". That said, I typically use two VCAs, one at the end of the modular signal chain, and another at the very end of the patch ... meaning after some stompboxes. I find it useful to place stomp boxes between two VCAs ... the output VCA of the modular and another one after some stop boxes. Many FX are very input gain sensitive, which means placing some after a VCA is useful. Some other FX go after the modular signal VCA but before the final VCA.

Typical Patch:

Modular synth (VCOs, VCFs, output VCA-Mixer/Panner) ---> FX/stomp boxes ---> VCA ---> other stomp boxes/FX ---> desk mixer.

I've been using modified Oakley Dual VCAs lately for this audio chain. So far, so good.

The dual VCA architecture works for the way I use my synth. Careful design allows the creation of a "stereo" primary VCA which is also used as a mixer of sorts, and a secondary VCA with FX/stomp boxes "sandwiched" in between the primary and secondary VCA ensemble.

Everyone has their own idea of what ~good~ is. thumbs up
MindMachine
Just received the Boss DC-2W yesterday.

The effect is much greater than I thought it would be, even in Mono use.

Played with electric bass in mono sounded great. Put a Mad Professor Golden Cello in front of it and it really came to life. Huge.

Currently using it with a Yamaha CP Reface in mono. Sounds good. I have a DOD Vibrothang in front of it to make it move a little. The CP has enough built in effects (that are good) that any pedal is not a game changer.

Still need to try stereo rigging to get the full effect. I would say that for the price you could get another chorus pedal with much more variability (obvious). I like the finite presets. Sounds real good so far.

Next to run the Casio Sk-1 Harmonic Synth through it. Then going to play alto Recorder through it.
Rex Coil 7
MindMachine wrote:
Just received the Boss DC-2W yesterday.

The effect is much greater than I thought it would be, even in Mono use.
applause

MindMachine wrote:
Played with electric bass in mono sounded great. Put a Mad Professor Golden Cello in front of it and it really came to life. Huge.
Trampoline

MindMachine wrote:
Currently using it with a Yamaha CP Reface in mono. Sounds good...
Dancing Star spinning (I'm a CP-70 fan from way back, btw).

MindMachine wrote:
I like the finite presets...
I agree! yes .. very appealing!

MindMachine wrote:
Next to run the Casio Sk-1 Harmonic Synth through it. Then going to play alto Recorder through it.
Yes! thumbs up Do some '70s synthy/stringy stuff, '80s poly-synthy "Jump!" type stuff, and mono bass to! OH! .. and some DX7-ish electric piano type sounds!

Good news all 'round so far.

Worth owning? seriously, i just don't get it

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Any more examples or impressions on this one?

w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2