MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Boss Waza reissue Dimension C chorus - DC-2W
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Boss Waza reissue Dimension C chorus - DC-2W
Jason Brock
This looks great, I'm very tempted.
It can also switch into Dimension D rack mode.
https://www.boss.info/global/products/dc-2w/
Henfield
So,

They will recreate their effects units as with Analog Circuitry, but they won't do the same for their synthesizers and drum machines?
tim gueguen
Henfield wrote:
So,

They will recreate their effects units as with Analog Circuitry, but they won't do the same for their synthesizers and drum machines?

It's often a lot easier to duplicate an old pedal than an old synth. A lot of them use components that are still in production, or can be made with currently produced components, versus having to replicate the filter chips in a Juno 106.
Jason Brock
Henfield wrote:
So,

Honestly it's a excellent business strategy. Don't give people exactly what they want, just make a product that is almost what they want - close enough so they'll buy it. Then in a couple of years you can manufacture another "almost" something and they'll buy that too.
chamomileshark
I've seen loads of demos for guitar, one with the SH101 boutique - like to hear it on a poly synth.
felixer
wondering if it's as noisy as the original. which i have btw
thetwlo
how does it sound compared to the Behringer clone from a few years ago?
They were $20 for a while on Amazon.

Sadly, the better made TC branded one doesn't have stereo outs.
moremagic
chamomileshark wrote:
I've seen loads of demos for guitar, one with the SH101 boutique - like to hear it on a poly synth.
isnt the sh-01a (aint that what they callin it?) a 4 voice poly?
definitely, i agree more than 4 vcos would be nice, if thats what you mean
thetwlo
so, can you not have all 4 buttons engaged(or more than two)
I saw that mentioned, but couldn't verify.
chamomileshark
moremagic wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:
isnt the sh-01a (aint that what they callin it?) a 4 voice poly?
definitely, i agree more than 4 vcos would be nice, if thats what you mean

True, but it was being played monophonically
chamomileshark
thetwlo wrote:
so, can you not have all 4 buttons engaged(or more than two)
I saw that mentioned, but couldn't verify.

I've seen demos with two buttons down simultaneously.
MindMachine
Bought.
I recently purchased a Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water which was DOA.
After a not best cure to the DOA, this will do for now with a more modulating pedal in front/after.
Rex Coil 7
Jason Brock wrote:
This looks great, I'm very tempted.
It can also switch into Dimension D rack mode.
https://www.boss.info/global/products/dc-2w/
I've been eyeballing that one for a while now. I've been using the "Dimension" chorus model in the Line 6 M13 and been pretty happy with it, but I'm open to trying something else as well.

I'm just a bit ~eye rolling~ over the "Waza Craft" nonsense. It seems like a method to simply add 25% to the price without any demonstrable sonic difference.

Innocent until proven guilty, though ... I guess. seriously, i just don't get it

chamomileshark wrote:
... like to hear it on a poly synth.
I really would like to hear one of these ~Dimension~ units with a full-on analog poly synth myself. Big string sounds, big synthy-brass sounds, and bass sounds. In a musical and a mix context, not just some ~drone~ garbage.

Damn I'm a cranky bastard today. Sorry folks. Rage!
Revok
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I'm just a bit ~eye rolling~ over the "Waza Craft" nonsense. It seems like a method to simply add 25% to the price without any demonstrable sonic difference.

Innocent until proven guilty, though ... I guess. seriously, i just don't get it

They're made in Japan. That's about it. The Dimension D aspect of this one is pretty cool though. It'd be cooler if it was designed to handle line level.
chamomileshark
Revok wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

They're made in Japan. That's about it. The Dimension D aspect of this one is pretty cool though. It'd be cooler if it was designed to handle line level.

so do you just need to turn the output from a modular down for it? I've seen videos with the SH101 re-issue but I think they have lower output levels?
PapaLazarou
Eenteresting
Revok
chamomileshark wrote:

so do you just need to turn the output from a modular down for it? I've seen videos with the SH101 re-issue but I think they have lower output levels?

Yes. Quite a bit. This pedal expects -20 dBu. It's easy enough to build a voltage divider in a 1/4" plug though.
Rex Coil 7
Revok wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes. Quite a bit. This pedal expects -20 dBu. It's easy enough to build a voltage divider in a 1/4" plug though.
Do you use an output VCA on your modular?
chamomileshark
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Revok wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes
Rex Coil 7
chamomileshark wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Revok wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Yes
Thanks ...

... and Member *Revok, yourself?
Revok
I usually go straight into a mixer that can handle the modular levels or use a cable with the voltage divider from CGS60 built into the plug if I want to use it with guitar pedals or amps. The values are 22k and 1k.

edit: plug not jack
Rex Coil 7
Revok wrote:
This pedal expects -20 dBu. It's easy enough to build a voltage divider in a 1/4" plug though.

Revok wrote:
I usually go straight into a mixer that can handle the modular levels or use a cable with the voltage divider from CGS60 built into the plug if I want to use it with guitar pedals or amps. The values are 22k and 1k.

edit: plug not jack
This is clever. I've done the same with clipping diodes.

RE; VCA as output module ... I guess I'm used to setting up my modular patches using a VCA at the end of the signal chain. Not purely for signal attenuation but mostly as part of the patch itself. Then again, I also use modular synths in the role of performance synth so that's another thing that drives me to using a VCA on the end of the patch. I see the entire chain as "the patch" .... that is to say, from wave form source (VCO or whatever) all the way through the FX devices until the signal hits the main desk mixer. Stompboxes included. So from VCO to stompbox, that's my interpretation of "patch". That said, I typically use two VCAs, one at the end of the modular signal chain, and another at the very end of the patch ... meaning after some stompboxes. I find it useful to place stomp boxes between two VCAs ... the output VCA of the modular and another one after some stop boxes. Many FX are very input gain sensitive, which means placing some after a VCA is useful. Some other FX go after the modular signal VCA but before the final VCA.

Typical Patch:

Modular synth (VCOs, VCFs, output VCA-Mixer/Panner) ---> FX/stomp boxes ---> VCA ---> other stomp boxes/FX ---> desk mixer.

I've been using modified Oakley Dual VCAs lately for this audio chain. So far, so good.

The dual VCA architecture works for the way I use my synth. Careful design allows the creation of a "stereo" primary VCA which is also used as a mixer of sorts, and a secondary VCA with FX/stomp boxes "sandwiched" in between the primary and secondary VCA ensemble.

Everyone has their own idea of what ~good~ is. thumbs up
MindMachine
Just received the Boss DC-2W yesterday.

The effect is much greater than I thought it would be, even in Mono use.

Played with electric bass in mono sounded great. Put a Mad Professor Golden Cello in front of it and it really came to life. Huge.

Currently using it with a Yamaha CP Reface in mono. Sounds good. I have a DOD Vibrothang in front of it to make it move a little. The CP has enough built in effects (that are good) that any pedal is not a game changer.

Still need to try stereo rigging to get the full effect. I would say that for the price you could get another chorus pedal with much more variability (obvious). I like the finite presets. Sounds real good so far.

Next to run the Casio Sk-1 Harmonic Synth through it. Then going to play alto Recorder through it.
Rex Coil 7
MindMachine wrote:
Just received the Boss DC-2W yesterday.

The effect is much greater than I thought it would be, even in Mono use.
applause

MindMachine wrote:
Played with electric bass in mono sounded great. Put a Mad Professor Golden Cello in front of it and it really came to life. Huge.
Trampoline

MindMachine wrote:
Currently using it with a Yamaha CP Reface in mono. Sounds good...
Dancing Star spinning (I'm a CP-70 fan from way back, btw).

MindMachine wrote:
I like the finite presets...
I agree! yes .. very appealing!

MindMachine wrote:
Next to run the Casio Sk-1 Harmonic Synth through it. Then going to play alto Recorder through it.
Yes! thumbs up Do some '70s synthy/stringy stuff, '80s poly-synthy "Jump!" type stuff, and mono bass to! OH! .. and some DX7-ish electric piano type sounds!

Good news all 'round so far.

Worth owning? seriously, i just don't get it

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Any more examples or impressions on this one?

w00t
MindMachine
Casio SK-1 Harmonic Synth sounded GREAT. Like a digital Eliane Radigue when building chords through an echo.Have not got to the Yamaha soprano recorder, but will try. I love recorder ensembles and this may be cool.

Maybe sample recorder into SK-1 into Instant Lo-Fi Junky > mono in of Boss. Try to get a warbly tone like 'Long, Long, Long' without the organ.

It's a keeper for sure. For $29.00 my Behringer clones of the original are pretty good though. hihi
Rex Coil 7
thumbs up applause
chamomileshark
Somehow rather than saving a specific video I saved a search on Youtube. There are now some videos where the Dimension C is being used on poly synth.

On a Boutique Juno 60 thingy

and on a Matrixbrute (yes I know it's a mono but they've detuned the oscillators)

Rex Coil 7
chamomileshark wrote:
Somehow rather than saving a specific video I saved a search on Youtube. There are now some videos where the Dimension C is being used on poly synth.

On a Boutique Juno 60 thingy ...
Hmm .. hmmm..... .. doh'no man.

With the Boss engaged sometimes it just sounds as though some reverb was added to the Roland. Maybe a little "too invisible".

I think that new Boss chorus may be better suited for guitar sounds or sampled acoustic instruments. Something with quite a bit more upper harmonics seems to be able to take better advantage of the way this new one works. Y'know, like a clean guitar.

seriously, i just don't get it
chamomileshark
I think on the first one there is some delay or reverb - at the start when he is using the Juno chorus you can still here it.

I think the second video is perhaps clearer - the sound quality is better too.

I'm still thinking of getting one but it won't be until the new year at the earliest.
Rex Coil 7
chamomileshark wrote:
I think on the first one there is some delay or reverb - at the start when he is using the Juno chorus you can still here it.

I think the second video is perhaps clearer - the sound quality is better too.

I'm still thinking of getting one but it won't be until the new year at the earliest.
I know there is reverb already on the Juno toy, that doesn't take away from the fact that the new chorus seems to add reverb to the sound. This is because of the way that "transparent" chorus FX react with sounds that have long-ish release times. A bit of reverb on a synth sound with some release time on it can sound like a chorus FX (due to how the different frequencies interact with one another as different notes are played... it can create a light "VCO beating effect" ... and vice versa. That was the point I was making.

chamomileshark wrote:
Everyone has their own ideas about "what good is" .... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

It's just not within my own definition of what a good chorus is. I'm not saying that it's "bad" ... I'm just not into what it does as a chorus. I look for something different than that out of a chorus.

Easy peasy!

cool
rjungemann
I have the Behringer and it's great, but I ordered the DC-2W and I'm really excited about it. A touch of overdrive into the Behringer at least is a beautiful sound but the Behringer clips very quickly, so I'm interested to see how the DC-2W handles it.

I am really looking forward to trying my Prophet '08 through it.
Fallen_lassen
The demo with the ju06 sounds great.
I have the original but i would really like to try the new one .
It adds so much space it’s indeed almost like a reverb .
MindMachine
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

On a Boutique Juno 60 thingy ...
Hmm .. hmmm..... .. doh'no man.

With the Boss engaged sometimes it just sounds as though some reverb was added to the Roland. Maybe a little "too invisible".

I think that new Boss chorus may be better suited for guitar sounds or sampled acoustic instruments. Something with quite a bit more upper harmonics seems to be able to take better advantage of the way this new one works. Y'know, like a clean guitar.

I'm telling you it is more pronounced than all of the old adages would have you believe. There are just the fixed settings so it is set and play. I'm good with that frankly. It seems a great balance. If I wanted more variability I would get a Sea Machine:
https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/sea-machine.

Rex7 I can post you my unit to test if you want, but it would have to be after the holidays.

If you can find the Behringer version of the original used for less than $75.00 - it will do the trick. A little noisy, but very good. I A/B'd my bass on the Waza and Behringer and they are vey close besides the noise, which is understandable and minimal in my book.
Rex Coil 7
MindMachine wrote:
...Rex7 I can post you my unit to test if you want, but it would have to be after the holidays....
eek! --- woah --- Trampoline --- w00t!! --- Drugs --- nuts --- Dancing Star --- spinning

(PM'd)

cool
pulse_divider
FWIW, behringer bought TC Electronics and now makes it as the 3rd Dimension chorus for $69 new. Guitar Center had them on sale for Black Friday at 3 for $99.
The build quality is far better than the behringer one and I’d absolutely recommend it over that one. It sounds great.
Jean Luc Cougar
Looks like the TC Electronics one is analog chips but is mono in, mono out :(

I got excited for a second, but I think I would want stereo out for this one. I guess I will wait to see if I can find a Waza used after they have been on the market for a minute.
Rex Coil 7
pulse_divider wrote:
FWIW, behringer bought TC Electronics and now makes it as the 3rd Dimension chorus for $69 new. Guitar Center had them on sale for Black Friday at 3 for $99.
The build quality is far better than the behringer one and I’d absolutely recommend it over that one. It sounds great.
I'm going to get all shallow on everyone here and say I think that Behringer/TC 3rd Dimension is as ugly as a mud fence.

It's so ugly that if it were a person .....

1.) It would have to sneak up on a glass of water.
2.) It would have to tie a piece of baloney around it's neck just to get the dog to play with it.
3.) When it was born the doctor didn't smack it's bottom to get it to start breathing, the doctor slapped it's momma for giving birth to something so ugly.
4.) It would make a freight train take a dirt road.
5.) It would scare the white off rice.

Just butt ugly, that one.

pbear :(
suthnear
They dropped the price on the 3rd dimension in the UK to £29...
drowld
It's a bit expensive as is.
But its sounding pretty good. I had a SDD320 and loved the sound but it was too big. Maybe i'll snagg this one. Would love an eurorack version of it.
Does anyone knows if there is one or if it's possible to mod a pedal to fit eurorack standard ?
Rex Coil 7
drowld wrote:
But its sounding pretty good. I had a SDD320 and loved the sound but it was too big. Maybe i'll snagg this one. Would love an eurorack version of it.
Does anyone knows if there is one or if it's possible to mod a pedal to fit eurorack standard ?
You mean physically/mechanically make a stomp box fit a set of Euro rails? Sure, pretty much anything can be repaneled ... it's all a matter of putting in the time and effort.

Or are you meaning the signal level issues? If so, it's no different than any other stomp-box-with-Euro set up. There will need to be a VCA in the input of the stomp circuit --> stomp circuit --> reboost stomp circuit signal to modular synth levels. There are some "all in one" modules that will attenuate the modular signal down to guitar levels (taking 5-to-10 volts down to roughly 1/4 of a volt) to the output jack .... then into the stomp box .... then into the specialty device's input jack where the guitar level signal is boosted back up to modular levels.

Just using a passive attenuator (a "knob") to lower the signal level to guitar levels is lazy and frankly poor workmanship. It's better to use a VCA which is an active buffer and presents the input stage of the stomp box with the impedance level it was designed to be put up against. So use a VCA to lower the modular audio signal down to guitar gear levels, then go through the stomp box circuit, then go into a gain stage (aka "signal booster") to bring the stomp box output back up to modular synth audio signal levels.

You can cannibalize pretty much anything, design/make a new panel, and combine as many circuits as you want to. As I said, it all comes down to having the will and ambition to put in the time and effort. If you don't want to put in time/effort, then put in some money to have someone else put in the time/effort.

(image below) This used to be EIGHT separate 5U modules which required TEN MU spaces since two of the eight modules were 2MU wide ... that I put into a single panel ... all of the pathways between all eight modules have been "hardwired" (correctly said = "normalized") how I wanted them patched together. The pre-patched normaled connections are very easily defeated by using the I/O jacks ... all of the jacks are "normally closed switching jacks" so when a patch cable is inserted the normaled connections are defeated. So absolutely zero stock functionality is lost, at the same time a high degree of convenient usability has been introduced.

This approach may be utilized for placing a stompbox circuit into a Euro synth.

This is a dual VCO "voice" (as I described above). I made two identical ones, so I have two dual VCO voice panels. As modules, the pair of dual VCO voices would require twenty MU spaces. However as seen in this repaneled form, the pair of them require twelve MU spaces (12 MU vs 20 MU). There are also a high number of "back panel functions" (like jumper linked stuff) that have been brought forward to the front.

So, as can be seen in this example, pretty much whatever you want to do can get done, one way or another. Time and effort.

thumbs up

Fallen_lassen
drowld wrote:

If you have two Roland 572 modules, like i do Rockin' Banana!
You can make the dimension effect because it uses the same bbd chip. And it is stereo and it has got mod in for time and mix.

But it is cheaper to get the Boss waza.

29€ for the behringer is still too expensive Mr. Green
Chevron87
You don't see them much these days so I don't know if they still go for little money, but the old Boss CE-300 rack unit is am awesome chorus unit, with the benefit of extra controls for tweaking your chorus.

It's intended to use with guitar signals, mono in with stereo output but there is a simple mod you can do to change the input impedance so it works with line levels. I have had one for 10 years and it's a great unit.
chamomileshark
Chevron87 wrote:
You don't see them much these days so I don't know if they still go for little money, but the old Boss CE-300 rack unit is am awesome chorus unit, with the benefit of extra controls for tweaking your chorus.

It's intended to use with guitar signals, mono in with stereo output but there is a simple mod you can do to change the input impedance so it works with line levels. I have had one for 10 years and it's a great unit.

I have one too, but as far as I can tell the Dimensions sound very different, mainly that you can't hear it cycling. As someone said, it's the chorus for people who don't like chorus.

The other thing is, I don't think the CE300 is true chorus, isn't it dry one side and wet the other, maybe with one signal inverted?
Chevron87
chamomileshark wrote:

I have one too, but as far as I can tell the Dimensions sound very different, mainly that you can't hear it cycling. As someone said, it's the chorus for people who don't like chorus.

The other thing is, I don't think the CE300 is true chorus, isn't it dry one side and wet the other, maybe with one signal inverted?

I am not saying that the CE-300 is a direct replacement for the Dimension-D, but I actually got a CE-300 after comparing one to a Dimension-D at Sofa Sound in London when the studio was there. The Dim-D does sound a little more hi-fi with possible slightly less stereo swirl going on, but also very similar when slowing down the mod & depth speed on the CE-300 - plus you get the addition of making the CE-300 go in to crazy chorus territory with high rate & depth settings.. Of course, I always wondered if the differences could be component ageing.

I just did a quick double check on the CE-300, and definitely a wet chorus signal on both sides as confirmed by listening to each side in isolation. It's surprisingly mono compatible too.
Rex Coil 7
chamomileshark wrote:
I don't think the CE300 is true chorus, isn't it dry one side and wet the other, maybe with one signal inverted?
What makes that configuration a "true chorus"? For that matter, what is a "true chorus" and why would it be "true" but others are "not true"? That is a fair and valid question.

I would prefer a panning chorus, myself. You can produce what you've described oh so easily by simply using the chorus in the FX or AUX send of a given mixer. Just send the chorus a signal from the send jack, then bring the chorus signal back into the mixer using one of it's input channels, and mix the chorus-effected sound with the dry sound using the mixer ... to mix.

But a panning chorus, to me that's more spacious. The best chorus ever created is the Leslie. Bar none. That is a sound that actually and for reals moves within the listening space.

We all have our own ideas about what we want out of a chorus (that's for sure), just looking at the sheer number of different designs offered will verify that!

cool
chamomileshark
I meant "true stereo"
Rex Coil 7
chamomileshark wrote:
I meant "true stereo"
Ok, that's fine ... but still, what does that mean?

Please know I am not challenging you or mocking you, I'm just wanting to understand what it is you mean, ok?
Chevron87
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
What makes that configuration a "true chorus"? For that matter, what is a "true chorus" and why would it be "true" but others are "not true"? That is a fair and valid question.

I would prefer a panning chorus, myself. You can produce what you've described oh so easily by simply using the chorus in the FX or AUX send of a given mixer. Just send the chorus a signal from the send jack, then bring the chorus signal back into the mixer using one of it's input channels, and mix the chorus-effected sound with the dry sound using the mixer ... to mix.

But a panning chorus, to me that's more spacious. The best chorus ever created is the Leslie. Bar none. That is a sound that actually and for reals moves within the listening space.

We all have our own ideas about what we want out of a chorus (that's for sure), just looking at the sheer number of different designs offered will verify that!

cool

I agree the Leslie cabinet effect is glorious, not always so easy to use subtly though.

If you, or anyone else is interested send me an audio file and I can process it through the CE-300 - but it's worth checking on youtube for Boss CE-300 demos, and I seem to recall there was a video comparing the CE-300 with a Juno 6/60 chorus.
Shrigg
I just bought a Behringer CC300, but: Why not two of the 3rd Dimension pedals for "True Stereo?"
Rex Coil 7
Shrigg wrote:
I just bought a Behringer CC300, but: Why not two of the 3rd Dimension pedals for "True Stereo?"
lol lol
Chevron87
Shrigg wrote:

For 'true stereo' you'd probably prefer the 2 stereo sides to be synced rather than running independently. That said, I am not sure the Boss CE-300 or Dimension D is locked and often has a random nature to the stereo movement..
Franktree
Has anyone seen any videos comparing the Waza's chorus to the Juno 60 chorus on a polysynth?
Jean Luc Cougar
I haven’t but just wanted to note they are distinctly different flavors of chorus.

Dimension is more subtle
Yodhan
The second pedal I ever got was a DOD FX65 Chorus. Didn’t warm up to it when I first got it. Got rid of it. 20 years later, I found one for super cheap, so I got it. Now I use it all the time.

That being said, I want the Waza Chorus so bad
Technologear?
Shrigg wrote:

I just did the same thanks to this thread. I too was interested in the idea of 2 3rd dimension pedals returned into 2channels of a mixer, with pan used to find the sweet spot between stereo spread and centre image. But figured I just roll with the stereo outs of the old cc300 while I could still find one (from a ma and pa store here in Oz).

Ps Juno chorus discussion probably best left for that thread, over in General Gear for the recently announced behri clone of it.
MindMachine
Shrigg wrote:

Gives me an idea. Run through my two CC300's one left mono w/ setting A or C and the right mono w/ setting B or D. What would that do?

Also, I see these $29.00 pedals are now selling for $ 150.00 used on Amazon. WTF?
Technologear?
MindMachine wrote:

Gives me an idea. Run through my two CC300's one left mono w/ setting A or C and the right mono w/ setting B or D. What would that do?

Try it and tell us please!
MindMachine
Technologear? wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Try it and tell us please!

I'll try to get to it over this long weekend here. Hard to believe they sell for so much now.

I'll try a Yamaha Reface YC organ w/ no other effects and e-bass w/ full wounds (cheating) too.

edit - you're not out West are you?
Technologear?
MindMachine wrote:

Western Australia, 10 mins south of the city
MindMachine
Technologear? wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Western Australia, 10 mins south of the city

If I ever retire wealthy it is a choice between there and Montevideo. Wonderful. Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 3