MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Distortion... is overused
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Distortion... is overused
Panason
Just dial it down already.... w00t
silverstrider
+1 on that. Its nice and all that but sometimes I wonder if its the music or my headphone battery is on the way out.
Panason
Without a contrast with clean sounds it just makes the whole thing sound flat and tiring.
solaris
reverb abuse is even worse
cv_rave_on
Panason

All of your posts are so negative. Like you know everything about everything and no one can tell you that they are wrong. There is a word for people like you, but it is too early in the morning for it to come to mind. Maybe insatiable or pantomath. I need my coffee.

Have you ever thought about getting laid? Maybe read a book on the middle way of Buddhism or something?

I would love to hear your music. Links?
Panason
I have been getting laid (in fact I need a break!) and have got the message from the Buddhist teachings, thanks.
I'm more of a punk Daoist. It's through the negative that we can arrive at the positive, yo!

Anyway, buster , are you questioning my authoritah!!!! I am a sought-after professional style consultant and cultural advisor, I'll have you know! lol

It would be boring if I prefaced every statement with IMO... you should know that discussions on sound quality and what is "good" music are always subjective and not really any different than teenager discussions on which is the best metal band in the world...

The point is: distortion is overused and is not so cool if applied indiscriminately. Nobody cares about your tubes.

IMO!
lisa
I don’t like to use distortion much myself, it tends to hide all the work I’ve put in, but loads of distortion often sounds cool when others do it.
thevegasnerve
Panason wrote:
I have been getting laid (in fact I need a break!) and have got the message from the Buddhist teachings, thanks.
I'm more of a punk Daoist. It's through the negative that we can arrive at the positive, yo!

Anyway, buster , are you questioning my authoritah!!!! I am a sought-after professional style consultant and cultural advisor, I'll have you know! lol

It would be boring if I prefaced every statement with IMO... you should know that discussions on sound quality and what is "good" music are always subjective and not really any different than teenager discussions on which is the best metal band in the world...

The point is: distortion is overused and is not so cool if applied indiscriminately. Nobody cares about your tubes.

IMO!

give us some examples. I will say when I was younger I thought distortion was crap. Then I started playing in live bands with very good guitar players and listened to really good synth players that used distortion or overdrive at times. The harmonics can be beautiful if done correctly.
thevegasnerve
I love around the 2:55 mark of this song with the distorted organ, so sweet sounding.

Flaming Lips
BugBrand
thevegasnerve wrote:
Panason wrote:
I have been getting laid..

give us some examples. ...

Umm, NO!
Panason
Can ask Metasonix
thevegasnerve
Panason wrote:
Can ask Metasonix

I would love to work with some Metasonix gear, would be fun to see what I could coax out of it.. Seriously, listen to the Flamings Lips tune. Its really stunning when it kicks in. Amazing band. Their sound engineer loves to crunch the heck out of their stuff from time to time.
Scories
Thanks for the tip, but I think I haven't used distortion over the last 17 years.
memes_33
i like distortion. for some it's an aesthetic. i've been on a huge ty segall kick lately and his stuff is distorted AF.
thevegasnerve
Scories wrote:
Thanks for the tip, but I think I haven't used distortion over the last 17 years.

Not even a little teeny weeny overdrive from your modules or pedals?!
listentoaheartbeat
How can a fundamental concept in signal processing be overused? Distortion is everywhere!
Reese P. Dubin
How can you be a sought-after professional style consultant and cultural advisor and have time to post 1700 times in 7 months?

everything is overused because there is just too much of everything
matthewjuran
The difference is using it to try to sound good versus adding it to make the sound better.
pricklyrobot
This whole ‘music that exists in the audible spectrum’ fad is pretty played out if you ask me.

I’m going strictly dog-whistle-and-earthquake-machine-core from now on!
Panason
pricklyrobot wrote:
This whole ‘music that exists in the audible spectrum’ fad is pretty played out if you ask me.

/

That's the spirit!
Quote:

How can you be a sought-after professional style consultant and cultural advisor and have time to post 1700 times in 7 months?

That's NOT the spirit!

This seems perplexing to a few people here but if you do the maths you will see this averages out to 8 posts per day which only takes about 20 minutes to do... Also, the job description is a joke. whoooosh.
Reese P. Dubin
Panason wrote:
. Also, the job description is a joke. whoooosh.

I figured as much.

I have some good distortions but I never use them. Finding patch sweet spots that overload and bog down and sound shit is much more fun.
Dragonaut
8 posts a day. Jesus.
Trilo
Your mom.... is overused.

(sorry, I had to)
thevegasnerve
pricklyrobot wrote:

absolutely, one day my music will be heard properly as technology improves..
matthewjuran
cv_rave_on wrote:
Panason

All of your posts are so negative. Like you know everything about everything and no one can tell you that they are wrong. There is a word for people like you, but it is too early in the morning for it to come to mind. Maybe insatiable or pantomath. I need my coffee.

Dragonaut wrote:
8 posts a day. Jesus.

She turned me into a newt!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3