MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Cheekies
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Cheekies
BugBrand
Oh dear, someone found out they didn't have any long M4 bolts!

But a pic anyway for the weekend:

First attempt getting some laser-cut cheek designs done - designed on Inkscape (lots still to learn) and then cut out of 12mm birch ply. They don't cost very much! (this pair was £12 inc VAT). I've got some boot-ish 5Frames coming because I personally really want that sort of setup.

Once I'm happy with the files I'll share them (free) for people to DIY at their local laser shop. I think it'll be easier that way - then I don't have to stock a whole range and figure the often slightly awkward shipping - and it keeps the costs down for everyone.

Not 100% sold on the laser cut look, but it is cheapish and easy - I was also wondering about acrylic.

*********FILES**************
SVG Files (from Inkscape) in Zip File - see attached file.
My inkscape skills are MINIMAL! These designs are pretty rough & ready!
But free for people to make use of with Bug Frames (holes are placed for frame design standard from at least 2013 onwards)

2Frame Bomber - Oct18:

3Frame Bomber - Nov18:

3Frame Boot - Nov18:

5Frame Boot - Oct18 (the 3 top frames might be a little too tight):
fever606
Hot dang those look great! This is fun!

2-tier with maybe a controller frame out front is my dream Bugs setup...
T. Jervell
Very, very nice, indeed!! applause
chrisdermo
5 frame boot is the one!
This little 2 frame boot would make a lovely processing rack Mr. Green
BugBrand
Oh, well actually it turns out the shop did some sort of boo-boo, slightly shifting one set of holes.. You can actually see it on the photo. Not the end of the world and good to catch such issues at early proto stages.

Ideas on further setups - sure I can whip other ideas up - now I've got a template for the frames themselves it is quite quick to draw up cheeks around them in whatever size/arrangement.

Very much feeling the need for control/event stuff to be more out front / horizontal.
BugBrand
OK - got the 2Frame built.
The 5Frame boots somehow lost some mounting holes so being reworked today..

For this particular setup I'll use a DC splitter to take a single DC supply to each frame (+0V connection via banana) - but would probably mod frames to a single DC input and internally connected 0V for future builds.
a100user
Look very nice Tom, simple and functional.

Any chance of 3 tier?
lud
Looks good... And the module at the bottom right is.??
BugBrand
Dual DC Mixer proto...
chrisdermo
Nice - low profile frame. Looking forward to seeing the 5 framer. Or maybe a couple of 2 framers could be good. Decisions, decisions!

If anyone is in need of a 4 frame boot that will fit old AND new frames I may be passing mine on once this 5 frame boot design becomes available. Now to look for laser cutting places....
BugBrand
Here's the first build of the 5Frame - interesting that it is vertically almost the same as my old 12U (4Frame) racks:::

(this doesn't really show how shallow it is at the back. Only thing for me to continue to think somewhat about is how best to approach DC and 0V inputs and sharing - I did internal for the bottom two frames as otherwise the banana connector tended to bump the desk underneath)
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
Here's the first build of the 5Frame - interesting that it is vertically almost the same as my old 12U (4Frame) racks:::

(this doesn't really show how shallow it is at the back. Only thing for me to continue to think somewhat about is how best to approach DC and 0V inputs and sharing - I did internal for the bottom two frames as otherwise the banana connector tended to bump the desk underneath)

Good god that's a beautiful sight! So much eye candy.
I did wonder about space for the dc/0v underneath. Reckon you'll just bump the height up a touch? The internal share for those two would actually be fine probably? Is there enough room for an angled dc connector? Wonder if some sort of super low profile banana connector exists.
BugBrand
There is a little space underneath (as the lowest frame is angled) but banana plugs are quite bulky. So instead I did the effective 2Frame joining on the next up Frame (the one with QDiv & DDSR in) - that takes the DC input and 0V and then it joins internally down to the lowest frame.
There's a neat small gap between the frame & the desk - you can see the green cable coming out - that allows a 0V connection to whatever might sit in front (shame I don't think I'll squeeze my LXR in that position)
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
There is a little space underneath (as the lowest frame is angled) but banana plugs are quite bulky. So instead I did the effective 2Frame joining on the next up Frame (the one with QDiv & DDSR in) - that takes the DC input and 0V and then it joins internally down to the lowest frame.
There's a neat small gap between the frame & the desk - you can see the green cable coming out - that allows a 0V connection to whatever might sit in front (shame I don't think I'll squeeze my LXR in that position)

Yeah it looks awesome! A 3 framer would look real good like this too - chopping off the top two rows would be a nice miniature 'console' appearance. thumbs up
lud
Looks super nice. Not in a hurry to get rid of the metal bomber cheeks but something less deep would fit nicer on my desk.
T. Jervell
Yes! Look very nice indeed thumbs up
/\/\/\/
BugBrand wrote:

I don't say this that often these days, but:

Daaayyyum.
/\/\/\/
Pocket-size:

Eventually going to install 3 x 11FW frames. (Although I sort of like the idea of making a 3FW tower.)

Thanks to Tom for providing the template. Took under 2 minutes to cut the two cheeks.

Still going to sand down the burns from the laser, and apply some oil to finish. It looks like Tom doubled up with two boards per cheek for the 5Frame. Good idea for that size, but for 3Frames I think a single layer (roughly 0.8 cm) will be sufficient.
chrisdermo
/\/\/\/ wrote:
Pocket-size:

Eventually going to install 3 x 11FW frames. (Although I sort of like the idea of making a 3FW tower.)

Thanks to Tom for providing the template. Took under 2 minutes to cut the two cheeks.

Still going to sand down the burns from the laser, and apply some oil to finish. It looks like Tom doubled up with two boards per cheek for the 5Frame. Good idea for that size, but for 3Frames I think a single layer (roughly 0.8 cm) will be sufficient.

Haha that dinky 3fw tower is super cool! w00t
batchas
chrisdermo wrote:
/\/\/\/ wrote:
Pocket-size:

Haha that dinky 3fw tower is super cool! w00t

Unique w00t
Corbeau
BugBrand wrote:

I've been wondering how I'd get that "final" fifth frame to fit well on my desk - I need that 5Frame like yesterday MY ASS IS BLEEDING beautiful work!
BugBrand
Oops I still haven't actually shared any of the design files here!
Will try to upload them this evening.
BugBrand
Updated with design pics & files!
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:

Thanks! Getting a quote for a 3 frame bomber, I figured I could configure a decent 'performance' system with reds and blues across 3 frames, and still small and light enough to transport.
lud
chrisdermo wrote:
BugBrand wrote:

Thanks! Getting a quote for a 3 frame bomber, I figured I could configure a decent 'performance' system with reds and blues across 3 frames, and still small and light enough to transport.

Let us know how much they cost! If it saves money to do together and you're still in London I'd be up for a pair of 3 framers too
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2