MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 pcbs: 158a available now
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 pcbs: 158a available now
lasesentaysiete
I will soon be offering Buchla 100 DIY pcbs through my new webstore linked to below. Sign up to the mailing list for pcb releases, etc:

https://www.lasesentaysiete.com/

These are new PCB layouts done using original Buchla schematics. I have substituted modern equivalents of obsolete transistors when necessary. No other changes were made, except for the "known" errors in some of the schematic drawings.

The first 9 layouts are completed and the modules themselves are in various stages of testing. The first to be offered for sale is the 158a.

I am also doing panels for each pcb. Panel files will be in .fpd format.

The pcbs use 16mm pcb-mounted potentiometers in order to facilitate wiring.

BOM and Mouser cart will also be available for each module. Luckily, there are no exceedingly rare parts used in any of the layouts to date, and almost everything is included in the Mouser carts (not the potentiometers).

EDIT: Panel files are available via Dropbox.
I am not yet sure how I will go about sharing the panel files. My web host does not allow .fpd files to be linked to, so if anyone has any suggestions, please. Ideally, I would just leave the panel files up for anyone to use.

Below is a screenshot of the 158a panel design to give an idea. Renders of pcbs can be seen on the website.

The 158a is tested and working perfectly, I am just waiting on the proper full pcb order to arrive before they go up for sale.

Next up will be the 180 and 140. I hope to get these done simultaneously. Following those will be the 106, 110, and 156. Then will come the 111, 160, and 194. Hopefully all before the holiday season.

the bad producer
Woo, looks great!

(I had similar problem hosting files, when I zipped them the problem disappeared, maybe that works for you?)
cygmu
That’s exciting news.

Would a github space be ok for hosting files?
lasesentaysiete
I will link the panel files to dropbox. Seems to work. Any problems, let me know.
the bad producer
Have you a rough price for the 158 PCB? I always wanted a pink 100 series, and now I can do it!
lasesentaysiete
the bad producer
158a is 60€.

All 1u pcbs will be between 40€ and 60€. 2u stuff will be around 90€.

The prices should be on the individual pages. Shipping is included.
the bad producer
thumbs up

Will you be doing the full range?
lasesentaysiete
the bad producer
After these first 9, I will work on 144, 123, 107, 114, 175, 190. Not necessarily in that order, though.

My ultimate goal would be to get a 196 done so that the 185 becomes possible smile
J3RK
Nice!

Hmm... Blue-chla 100 system... Sounds like fun.
djthopa
Muy interesado!
nvining
Any exotic parts needed to build these - weird transistors, etc.?
lasesentaysiete
nvining
not yet! And mostly everything is available from Mouser.
djs
Very cool! Any thoughts on doing the Buchla 148 (Harmonic generator)? smile

Also- do these run on 15v/0v, or is there a 24v line required as well?
lasesentaysiete
djs
the schematic for the 148 is available, and I will probably have a go at it eventually. Who knows how it turns out, though smile

Everything so far is +15v/0v. +24v is needed for the 190, but that will come later.
hox3d
Interesting.

How hard would that be to adapt it to Serge specs/voltages ?
Hopefully just a few components that would need to be changed for 1V/oct tracking and +/-12V supply ?
the bad producer
hox3d wrote:
How hard would that be to adapt it to Serge specs/voltages ?

I guess it's a bit more than that as Buchla audio is at line level and the CV doesn't like negative V's IIRC... What do you think lasesentaysiete? Is that true on the 100 too?
I'd really like it if it was all bananas and fitted in with my LW stuff, but then I think I'd like it even if it had 1/4" jacks and black panels! (well, maybe not that zombie )
lasesentaysiete
the bad producer
yes, line level for audio.

CV range is different, too. Some of the 100 circuits produce and/or expect a 0-15v range.

For a Buchla osc in Serge, I would go for the 258J from J3rk.
the bad producer
Yeah, for those reasons I think I'd like to keep a little 100 system with your PCBs and some pink panels, I'd probably re-do them in LW format simply as I am set-up for that, but otherwise really looking forward to this (even though I've only known that for a couple of hours hihi )
cygmu
The original circuits involve a fair bit of fun with biasing because of the single supply arrangement, so it wouldn't really make too much sense to make simple adaptations for a dual supply -- you'd want to redo the biasing too. At this point you are out of clone territory and into homage. No bad thing, but a different thing.
julian
the bad producer wrote:
... and black panels! (well, maybe not that zombie )

I know this is off-topic, but black panels were exactly what i was considering whilst walking our hounds today!

I am starting to get a fair few of the buchla panel designs sorted, and was wondering if there would be a market for black panels in that format, rather than just the usual blue and silver.

I did the 208 in black and white, but im wondering about all the rest in the same styling? I mean black seems to be the new silver, when it comes to euro....
J3RK
the bad producer wrote:
Yeah, for those reasons I think I'd like to keep a little 100 system with your PCBs and some pink panels, I'd probably re-do them in LW format simply as I am set-up for that, but otherwise really looking forward to this (even though I've only known that for a couple of hours hihi )

I was thinking something similar. Maybe two of CLee's boats full of blue 100 modules. Or maybe even two 17" x 7" (Serge-style) panels divided by panel graphics in Hammond boats. (still with Buchla 100 style graphics though)
hox3d
cygmu wrote:
The original circuits involve a fair bit of fun with biasing because of the single supply arrangement, so it wouldn't really make too much sense to make simple adaptations for a dual supply -- you'd want to redo the biasing too. At this point you are out of clone territory and into homage. No bad thing, but a different thing.

I'm not feeling that confident enough with pure analog electronics, unfortunately. hihi
lasesentaysiete
A few questions about panels:

1. Would a pcb/panel option be preferable to just the pcb?
2. White or silver panels? Or the option to choose?

I know some of you have already answered indirectly, but the possibility of offering the pcb/panel combo exists. I am just trying to see if it is worthwhile, in general.
Starspawn
I would be up for PCB+Panels, white or silver both good options.
djthopa
I would order panel and pcbs. Silver panel nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4