MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
edwinm
Panel and PCB for me, silver or white. Not keen on black Buchla, just seems wrong somehow
lasesentaysiete
Here is a little cross modulation patch using only the 158a.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/lasesentaysiete/158a-fm [/s]
Leverkusen
Wow, two Buchla 100 DIY options are coming at at the same time! I hope, both of them will evolve well, especially since this one is Europe based! Also the PCB prices sound fair to me.

Regarding the panels, I might purchase PCB/panel combos or do my own panels. It depends a bit on the relationship between price of the panel and personal laziness at that point in time. Generally I tend more to the comfortable side. But I would prefer white panels then.

An important criterion for me to dive into this would be the trust in long term availability and the opportunity to build up a system over time.

SlayerBadger!
lasesentaysiete
Leverkusen
Quote:
two Buchla 100 DIY options are coming at at the same time! I hope, both of them will evolve well, especially since this one is Europe based! Also the PCB prices sound fair to me.

Yes, the plan is to keep these available long term, and also to provide a reliable and dependable source of pcbs (i.e. shipping, restocking, etc. all done at reasonable rates).

Quote:
Regarding the panels, I might purchase PCB/panel combos or do my own panels. It depends a bit on the relationship between price of the panel and personal laziness at that point in time. Generally I tend more to the comfortable side. But I would prefer white panels then.

The panel situation is so far undecided. I can say that the white panel I had made for the 158a (photos soon smile) cost just under 50€. For me, the goal in offering a panel/pcb combo would be to keep the cost down as much as possible. It is easier, too, when purchasing.
fluxmonkey
you could zip the individual FPD files, if your host allows zip...

Quote:
EDIT: Panel files are available via Dropbox.
I am not yet sure how I will go about sharing the panel files. My web host does not allow .fpd files to be linked to, so if anyone has any suggestions, please. Ideally, I would just leave the panel files up for anyone to use.
fluxmonkey
no need to wait for the Ringmod, Noise, or BPF PCBs, since i've had them on offer for a couple of years: http://www.fluxmonkey.com/fluxmerch_buchla.htm
lasesentaysiete
Quote:
you could zip the individual FPD files, if your host allows zip...

It does not seem to offer .zip files, either seriously, i just don't get it
lasesentaysiete
Just a note:

While I have been able to "reverse engineer" the layouts and values for a few models whose schematics are not widely available, not having direct access to original modules limits me quite a bit.

Any help with photos or schematics heretofore unknown to me is greatly appreciated. Modules like 196, 195, 130, 114. Otherwise, I have got it pretty much covered.
lasesentaysiete
I finished the 192 layout today. I will be able to have this ready sooner than I originally thought smile

FYI, all layouts allow for the use of carbon composition resistors, in case the builder so chooses.

luchog
lasesentaysiete wrote:
The panel situation is so far undecided. I can say that the white panel I had made for the 158a (photos soon smile) cost just under 50€. For me, the goal in offering a panel/pcb combo would be to keep the cost down as much as possible. It is easier, too, when purchasing.

I would be very happy with a PCB/Panel combo, rather than just the PCB.

My personal preference on panel colour would be, in order, white, red, or silver; but I'd be perfectly happy with any of those, or even black.
lasesentaysiete
luchog wrote:

My personal preference on panel colour would be, in order, white, red, or silver; but I'd be perfectly happy with any of those, or even black.

I prefer white, too. There may end up be both white and silver available in the end. Red almost certainly will not make the cut, though smile

But, the panel files will be there for those who want to have a go at it themselves.
Leverkusen
If I got it right and a panel/PCB combo would be around 100,- I would be happy with the panel option. If non-white panels get more votes I would probably make my own panels at home and just go for PCBs. On the long run I can see me ordering 2 - 4 PCBs per quarter of the year. Oh, I really love the idea of building 100 system! spinning
lasesentaysiete
Leverkusen wrote:
If I got it right and a panel/PCB combo would be around 100,-

I will not speak for the panel manufacturers, but I would guess that to be a good estimate. The white panel I ordered from Schaeffer cost 50€.
djs
lasesentaysiete wrote:
I finished the 192 layout today.

Not familiar with the 192 circuit- are those vactrols, or separate LED/ photoresistors? If it's the second, do you leave them open, or create some sort of tube between them?
lasesentaysiete
djs wrote:

Not familiar with the 192 circuit- are those vactrols, or separate LED/ photoresistors? If it's the second, do you leave them open, or create some sort of tube between them?

Its like a proto vactrol made using a lamp and a photo resistor. The Buchla modules encased the 2 in a sort of heatshrink. The decay is much slower than a vactrol, though. I will make demos as soon as possible. It is a seldom heard filter.

Here is an original 192. You can see the 4 black tubes containing the lamp+photo resistor pairs. On the pcb render I posted above, L1 is he lamp and PR1 is the photo resistor (same goes for L2 + PR2).

lasesentaysiete
For anyone looking for a power supply solution for a 100 series only system, I plan on using the following:

https://www.mouser.es/ProductDetail/International-Power/IHB15-15?qs=sG AEpiMZZMtl%252b%2ft8G5TWgG6t7N41i4QNqqwiahIcSZA%3d

I will probably make some type of power distribution pcb to facilitate installation of modules. Nothing too special, though.

Anybody else looking to do a 100 only system in need of some type of power distribution setup? It would not use EDAC connectors.
KSS
Definitely prefer separate PCB. With panel optional.
lasesentaysiete
lasesentaysiete wrote:

I will probably make some type of power distribution pcb to facilitate installation of modules. Nothing too special, though.

Something like this could work--enough for a full cabinet (15 modules). It is laid out for 2-pin mta-156 connectors, and the tracks are 2mm thickness. Power entry to the distro board is via spade connectors.

djs
Any general thoughts (Mike Peake?) about the 106? I have a faux 106 made up with CGS04 mixer pcbs.. What does the 106 circuit do that a standard mixer doesn't do? I'm guessing it's all discrete, but is there some mojo that I don't know about?
lasesentaysiete
djs
I have not compared the 2 directly, but my guess is that the CGS04 would not sound the same because it has greater headroom. The 106 works within the 100 series line-level range to produce a slight drive when pushed. Buchla audio levels are lower than most other modular formats.

Also, the 106 is AC coupled and the CGS04 is not.
vladosh
i made a little demo of the 192 VCF ,built it from Mike Peake layout and included the resonance mod suggested by someone https://soundcloud.com/r25990127/buchla-400-vcf
lasesentaysiete
vladosh
nice demo. The filter sounds a little sluggish. I like it smile I did not know about the resonance mod. Any further info or opinion on it?
vladosh
i think you can implement that resonance mod if you haven't and without pot just to make it sound fatter i think the schematics can be found at emcloned ,i like the filter too ,have not tried the 194 yet so looking forward to that hyper
lasesentaysiete
Thanks! I found this:

Seems simple enough. I will try it and if it makes sense, I may add the option to the pcb layout.
snaper
Bookmarked your site, surely I'm in for a 158 and for the clock generator!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Page 2 of 28