MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
lasesentaysiete
snaper wrote:
Bookmarked your site, surely I'm in for a 158 and for the clock generator!

thumbs up
You can also sign up to the mailing list and receive notice whenever a new PCB becomes available.

The 158a is imminent. I take delivery of the test panel tomorrow, and the pcb order will not be far behind (~1 week). 140 and 180 should be available by mid-October.
lasesentaysiete
158a
(btw, I have it for sale to help fund this project: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2937304#2937304)

SoundPool
maybe someone can help set me straight on this since I am kinda buchla ignorant... so these 100 modules are different voltage ranges than the modern buchla? if you used them with other formats since they want positive voltages would something negative actually damage them like a CMOS chip, or just that it won't respond while something is in negative range? if I were to build these I am thinking going banana only because the whole two cable system drives me nuts and I like to use audio as modulation sources, but of course I don't want to set myself up for possibly damaging stuff.
fluxmonkey
it's complicated. this write-up from mark verbos should make things clear as.. um, can be: http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2008/10/good-thing-about-standards-so-m any-to.html

SoundPool wrote:
maybe someone can help set me straight on this since I am kinda buchla ignorant... so these 100 modules are different voltage ranges than the modern buchla? if you used them with other formats since they want positive voltages would something negative actually damage them like a CMOS chip, or just that it won't respond while something is in negative range? if I were to build these I am thinking going banana only because the whole two cable system drives me nuts and I like to use audio as modulation sources, but of course I don't want to set myself up for possibly damaging stuff.
lasesentaysiete
SoundPool
The Verbos article mentioned above is a good start. There also exist a module called CVGT1 by Synovatron which deals with the bi-polar vs uni-polar issue. It remains complicated, though, as fluxmonkey says.
SoundPool
fluxmonkey wrote:
it's complicated. this write-up from mark verbos should make things clear as.. um, can be: http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2008/10/good-thing-about-standards-so-m any-to.html

SoundPool wrote:

thanks- serves as a great reminder why I stayed away from Buchla all these years (in addition to the fact that I couldn't afford it).

but these PCBs are 15v and gnd only- is that because the 24v was just for the lamps which are replaced here with something else? vactrols?
lasesentaysiete
SoundPool wrote:

but these PCBs are 15v and gnd only- is that because the 24v was just for the lamps which are replaced here with something else? vactrols?

+24 is not just the lamps. Certain modules--e.g. 190, 165--use it as well.
Peake
The 190 dual reverb uses +24V wired directly to the two audio transformers. Those transformers typically are screwed down to the top inside of the large wooden 100 series cases with a terminal strip next to them to aid wiring. (The reverb tanks are screwed down to the inside of the cabinet sides.)

It's not hard to get the 100s to be compatible with the later 200 series' 10V range (versus its natural 15V). 68K CV input resistors on something such as the 110 Gates can be changed to 47K so it fully opens at 10V instead of 15.

The oscillator CV range however is something I haven't checked and should be modded in case you're using a 10V CV range system. What I did on the ones I sell was add a unity-gain opamp CV mixer courtesy of Santa, Ken Stone, to sum together both the front panel CV pot and the external CV ins. Normal operation is of course simply a switch selecting either external CV signals OR the internal Frequency pot. It's nice to use them together without a 156 and the benefit is to after calibrating them to the original CV scaling, remove the 100K input resistors for the CV path and install 100K multiturn trimmers which then allow trimming in a range of 1.2 or 1V/Octave, =generally=, which doesn't mean more than an octave of tracking or very well at all within that range.

The 156 is usually used for this sort of process, of course, and was later merged into his 200 series oscillators.
lasesentaysiete
here is a photo showing a little of what Peake is talking about. The 190 is the second module from the left in the top row. The module on the far right with the transformers sticking out is the 170, I think.

lasesentaysiete
I have added the 158a to Modulargrid with a provisional (shite) photo, just in case anyone would like to use it to plan. I will take a proper photo soon.
Jarno
lasesentaysiete wrote:
158a

Tidy looking layout, nice work!
lasesentaysiete
Jarno wrote:

Tidy looking layout, nice work!

thanks thumbs up

The idea is to facilitate the building process.
lasesentaysiete
Building the 180 today:

tronotape
These look awesome, can't wait! Definitely interested in the 123 and 114 when it comes around.
guitarfool
lasesentaysiete wrote:
Thanks! I found this:

Seems simple enough. I will try it and if it makes sense, I may add the option to the pcb layout.

Ha, I did that. It worked quite well for me, but IIRC there were others that didn't get it to work. eek!
I did artwork to silkscreen a panel for it, but haven't had the screens made yet.
[img][/img]
lasesentaysiete
guitarfool
my apologies for not crediting you when I posted that photo d'oh!
I will try the res mod and report back how it turns out.
lasesentaysiete
I was playing around and testing the 180 today. Everything looks good! The panels arrive on Monday.

Tomorrow I will get the 140 pcbs, so it will be possible to test the 180 and 140 together.

SlightlyNasty
I like seeing more of these neat and tidy 4U modules appearing! These PCBs look great lasesentaysiete!
lasesentaysiete
SlightlyNasty wrote:
I like seeing more of these neat and tidy 4U modules appearing! These PCBs look great lasesentaysiete!

Neat and tidy is a main goal of mine with these layouts, so thanks thumbs up It really makes for quicker assembly if everything is laid out with the builder in mind, and luckily the Buchla format allows for fairly "ergonomic" layouts of these circuits.
lasesentaysiete
180 finished today!

lasesentaysiete
158a PCBs are now available in the web store:

https://www.lasesentaysiete.com/product-page/158a-dual-sine-sawtooth-g enerator-pcb

Sign up for the newsletter to receive these types of notices directly via email.

julian
Nice to see some user friendly pricing! : )
jonen
What are the dimensions of the pcb? is it meant for a 4u panel or also possible to adopt to a 3u panel, like this one.
lasesentaysiete
jonen
dimensions are 155x101 mm. It is laid out for Buchla format (4u) and is not compatible with 3u, unfortunately.
lasesentaysiete
julian wrote:
Nice to see some user friendly pricing! : )

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next [all]
Page 3 of 33