MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
lasesentaysiete
sanders
That is impressive for single-turn trimmers an no oscilloscope. A few things:

1. You can calibrate the HP (or LP) to close fully. It sounded like your HP section was not cutting off completely.

2. I suspect that the lower amplitude of the LP is down to calibration. Part of the process for each stage of the LP is setting the amplitude relative to DC offset. It is possible that you are not getting optimal amplitude out of one (or more?) of the filter's stages. Otherwise, double check component values.

3. Not sure about the noise. I have used the 191 with linear and switching supplies and have not experienced what you describe.
sanders
lasesentaysiete wrote:

That is impressive for single-turn trimmers an no oscilloscope

why thank you : )

lasesentaysiete wrote:

1. You can calibrate the HP (or LP) to close fully. It sounded like your HP section was not cutting off completely.

I'm pleased to report they all close; I wasn't turning through the full range in the video. I used your calibration notes-- wouldn't have gotten anywhere without them-- and adjusted the range and scale suitably.

lasesentaysiete wrote:

2. I suspect that the lower amplitude of the LP is down to calibration.

Turns out it was something more simple. The first LPF output jack which was silent in the video was accidentally grounded; I discovered it, adjusted the jack, it began working again naturally, but also all at once, the volume jumped up on both jacks to full level.

lasesentaysiete wrote:

3. Not sure about the noise. I have used the 191 with linear and switching supplies and have not experienced what you describe.

So this is the only remaining issue now. It's interesting. The noise doesn't start when the panel touches the cabinet chasis (as one would expect). It only starts getting noisy when I lean the module into the boat. There happens to be a power-line boat connector cord right behind this module, so I think I'll try moving the 191 to another space.
lasesentaysiete
sanders wrote:
It's interesting. The noise doesn't start when the panel touches the cabinet chasis (as one would expect). It only starts getting noisy when I lean the module into the boat. There happens to be a power-line boat connector cord right behind this module, so I think I'll try moving the 191 to another space.

Yes, try that. It sounds like airborne noise pickup.
sanders
In case anyone else wants to try calibrating the 191 without an oscilloscope, I'll describe what worked for me:

I followed the instructions by ear as best as I could, i.e. I adjusted the 4 LPF pole trimmers to maximum volume (at the specified check points) and minimum offset. Then I adjusted the range and scale trims, again as per instructions.

I did the same for HPF pole trims, without any audible effect, so I left them centered as per instructions.

Next, I listened to audio through the Band Pass Filter mode, I found that I could only get a clear sound out of it within the most narrow range of slight re-adjustment to all four LPF-pole trims. I got the BPF mode sounding close to perfect with these slight LPF trim adjustments (surprisingly!); I then went back to listen to the LPF audio in Independent Mode, thinking it would be silent again. however, I found that it was actually vastly improved, and now filtered smoothly through each pole.

So by calibrating the LPF, and then re-adjusting the same trims for optimal BPF audio output-- I was able to get a great sound out of all three filters.
diophantine
lasesentaysiete wrote:
The link did not work for me. Was it a oscilloscope still showing an XY reading?

I was unable to get the two signals to form a perfect circle across the entire frequency range, but it did look acceptable

Sorry about that, yes, here we go: https://youtu.be/xKnZ_DrqgMM
Just want to know if this is "close enough" or similar to yours, or if I should attempt to trim it better.
lasesentaysiete
diophantine wrote:

Sorry about that, yes, here we go: https://youtu.be/xKnZ_DrqgMM
Just want to know if this is "close enough" or similar to yours, or if I should attempt to trim it better.

Is that a single sweep across the entire VCO range? I am pretty sure I had mine a little less wobbly, but yours looks in the ballpark. Just trim it as best you can without unnecessary frustration, I guess. As mentioned, you are likely to need minor adjustments during final assembly of the 185.
diophantine
diophantine wrote:
Yes, I am using the manual offset knob, but no, it is not affected by the positive slew setting. With positive slew FCCW (min) and negative slew FCW (max), if I set the input to +14V (or less) and leave it there for a few minutes... when I turn the input back to 0V the 155 output immediately starts to go down according to the slew rate.

But if I input +15V and leave it there, even for only a few seconds, when I turn the input back to 0V the 155 waits 5-15 seconds before the output starts decreasing.

This weekend I will try it with the 112 or 123, to see if that makes a difference.

I tested the 155 with the 112a and it is working as I would expect! thumbs up Clearly it was just some oddity when using the max voltage out from the 156...
diophantine
lasesentaysiete wrote:
Is that a single sweep across the entire VCO range? I am pretty sure I had mine a little less wobbly, but yours looks in the ballpark. Just trim it as best you can without unnecessary frustration, I guess. As mentioned, you are likely to need minor adjustments during final assembly of the 185.

Ok, thanks! Yes, that's a sweep across the whole VCO range. Maybe I'll trim the ones in my 185 sometime and then go back to the 196.
diophantine
sanders
Nice work on the 191! Hopefully I can get mine sounding that good... there's a few artifacts left that are bugging me & that I'm trying to get trimmed out.

Mine is also very susceptible to interference. My hand too close to some of the transistors while trimming makes it noisier, for instance.
diophantine
What worries me about my 191 is all the artifacts in the sound. I'm having a tough time trimming them out.

LPF: https://soundcloud.com/k-a-wright/191-lpf-test/s-Dhm4O
HPF: https://soundcloud.com/k-a-wright/191-hpf-test/s-xF9G7
These are sweeps from open to closed to open. Yeah, there's some range issues that I need to address (I'd been tweaking those a lot), but that's not the only issue. You can hear the two "noise bands" in the HPF when sweeping both directions.

Is this stuff that I should be able to trim out? Or are my transistors perhaps not matched well enough? Or do you think there is some other issue?

UPDATE: By accident, I discovered that I'm able to move these noise bands (and drop-out bands) in the LPF by turning the HPF cutoff knob, and vice-versa. Same happens when I have external control of both filters: both the internal & external HPF pots affect the noise bands in the LPF section.

So I think it is some sort of grounding issue or short. This should be fun to debug... Dead Banana MY ASS IS BLEEDING
lasesentaysiete
I just had a listen to my 191 to see how/if the LP & HP knobs affected each other. The HP output is completely unaffected by the LP knob, but the LP output has a slight change in pitch if the HP is at one extreme or the other of its travel (i.e. fully open of fully closed). This might be down to range calibration.

No other noise issues, though.

EDIT: I hear slight pitch variation if I go around to the back of the cabinet and put my hand close to the components. Nothing from the front panel side, though.
sanders
I noticed quite a bit of interaction b/t filters before ear calibrating the 191, not noticeable afterwards.

If I move the 191 to another space in my cabinet I can get nearly all of the pick-up noise to quiet down. I'm pretty sure now this noise is being picked up by the large 2000uf cap that sticks out of the back of the PCB, and seems to act as an antenna. If I had the chance, I would look for a shorter electrolytic cap.
ST.P
@lasesentaysiete:

in the near future i´ll need panel files (.fpd) for the 114, 185 and 191
- if you can put them on your shop site :-)

thanks,
ST.P
lasesentaysiete
ST.P
I will get all the panel files up to date this weekend thumbs up
lasesentaysiete
Does anyone have a photo of the 176 module? I cannot seem to find that one blurry photo of the module with a red panel.
diophantine
lasesentaysiete wrote:
Does anyone have a photo of the 176 module? I cannot seem to find that one blurry photo of the module with a red panel.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3vtscdga0oa43do/AABnftjbtT2aekv8PRsBIW_0a?p review=IMG_20140425_111702_474.jpg
lasesentaysiete
diophantine
cheers. I will get to work!
lasesentaysiete
102, 165, 170 PCBs & panels have arrived at Modular Addict. They should be up for sale soon. Meanwhile, I have posted the BOM files on my website.
lasesentaysiete
Oh, and it seems I forgot to post this little demo of the 165:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzQGgjtogLM/
diophantine
lasesentaysiete wrote:
102, 165, 170 PCBs & panels have arrived at Modular Addict. They should be up for sale soon. Meanwhile, I have posted the BOM files on my website.

thumbs up Keeping my eyes on their site for the new ones! Not sure yet if I'll build the 170... doubt I'd use it much and the transformers are pricey. Will try to take a look at the BOMs over the weekend or on Monday.

Hope to get back to trimming the 196 soon. Was out-of-town a while and came back to everything broken at work... Dead Banana

Any idea when we can expect the 112b and 146?
lasesentaysiete
diophantine wrote:

thumbs up Keeping my eyes on their site for the new ones! Not sure yet if I'll build the 170... doubt I'd use it much and the transformers are pricey. Will try to take a look at the BOMs over the weekend or on Monday.

I understand about the transformers. The Switchcraft XLR inputs are quite expensive, too. Besides having to build the 170, I am mostly attracted by its looks smile

diophantine wrote:

Any idea when we can expect the 112b and 146?

I will receive the 146 and 112b PCBs next week. If all goes well, they will be available early August.

Then I will spend August trying to get the 148 to work. I will also find time to complete the 176.
guitarfool
Since I'm now waiting on parts, I took the time to put up some Buchla 100 build info on my website HERE. Not much on build notes yet, but at least I uploaded board scans of most of them (all the ones I have). Feel free to PM me if you have anything to add, corrections, omissions, whatever. wink
lasesentaysiete
guitarfool wrote:
Since I'm now waiting on parts, I took the time to put up some Buchla 100 build info on my website HERE.

Excellent work applause
lasesentaysiete
The 165 schematic is now up on my website in case anyone wants to take a peek.
yan6
I'm somewhat of a completist and was holding off showing this. But seeing as things are slowing down, why not

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Page 26 of 28