MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patching a Strymon Magneto into a Moog Grandmother
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Patching a Strymon Magneto into a Moog Grandmother
black_label
Hi all- please bear with me as I’m new to modular but not new to synthesis.

I’m trying to patch a Strymon Magneto into my Moog Grandmother and looking for advice on the best way to do it. If I patch <eurorack out> on GM into the <L input> on Magneto and then <L out> to my speaker, I get only low level sound - I’m guessing I’d need an external VCA, right?

If I try to patch it before GM’s spring reverb (which is what I’d like to do) by going <filter out> to Magneto and then back to the <VCA input> The delay only triggers as long as the envelope is triggering.

So, what’s he best way to patch it before the spring reverb and so that it rings out like a regular echo?

Thanks for your help!
batch
I don’t have a GM but I do have a Magneto.

On quick peruse of GM manual and specifically the signal flow diagram, the Eurorack out sounds like right out to use, so question would be how you have the Magneto set up? It has a dry level, a recording level, and a wet level. Do you them set right?

You don’t need an external VCA. VCAs are really Voltage Controller Attenuators, not Amplifiers (yes I know some do, but in general they don’t)
LTodd
A couple of different ways to approach this. First of all, look at your gain staging when using the euro out to Magneto L in. There should be more than enough gain coming out of the Magneto to drive a mixer channel or powered speaker.

If you go out of the filter to the Magneto and back to the VCA, try using drone mode on the GM. That will keep the VCA open and allow the echo to continue, but may not be the effect you're looking for overall.

But, what i think you are looking for will require an external VCA since the Grandmother doesn't have an option to output the VCA prior to the reverb. So, filter out to your VCA signal in. Grandmother Env out to your VCA cv in. VCA out to the Magneto in. Magneto out to Grandmother reverb in. Grandmother reverb out to your mixer/speaker.
batch
But if you don’t want the reverb, just turn the knob to dry?
JohnLRice
black_label wrote:
Hi all- please bear with me as I’m new to modular but not new to synthesis.

I’m trying to patch a Strymon Magneto into my Moog Grandmother and looking for advice on the best way to do it. If I patch <eurorack out> on GM into the <L input> on Magneto and then <L out> to my speaker, I get only low level sound - I’m guessing I’d need an external VCA, right?
Like others have said, there are various ways to do it but the first way you suggested has worked fine for me.

In the below video I ran the output of the Mellotron keyboard directly into the Magneto module and the output of the Magneto into a Mackie 402-VLZ3 mixer, with the output of the mixer going to speakers and/or a recorder.
LTodd
Armstrb wrote:
But if you don’t want the reverb, just turn the knob to dry?

The OP didn't say either way, just that they wanted to patch the delay in before hitting the reverb. I was under the impression that reverb was wanted at the end of the chain, after the Magneto?
batch
Magneto has its own reverb
LTodd
Armstrb wrote:
Magneto has its own reverb

It sounds different than the spring on the GM (I have both). I can see wanting to use one of the other depending on the application. Personally, I like to stack them sometimes. GM euro out (with onboard reverb) to Magneto, process and add some Magneto reverb just before going out to the mixer.
batch
LTodd wrote:
It sounds different than the spring on the GM

I can appreciate that. I have two Springrays (v1 and v2) in my studio case because nothing sounds like real springs. Thought I’d sell v1 until I realized the difference in CV control between them. I love cranking up the feedback on the v1 and using as a sound source.
black_label
I think it’s a problem with my GM’s bias. I’m getting osc bleed when I’m not playing and the eurorack output is extremely low - it’s not driving the Magneto (or any other effects I’ve tried at all.)
black_label
That said, is the best signal flow GM eurorack out > magneto L in > magneto L out > GM VCA in > GM output?

Or

GM eurorack out > magneto L in > magneto L out > GM reverb in > GM reverb out?
batch
black_label wrote:
I think it’s a problem with my GM’s bias. I’m getting osc bleed when I’m not playing and the eurorack output is extremely low - it’s not driving the Magneto (or any other effects I’ve tried at all.)

It doesn’t sound right. I would return it if you can, or call Moog if you cant
batch
black_label wrote:
That said, is the best signal flow GM eurorack out > magneto L in > magneto L out > GM VCA in > GM output?

Or

Neither, I think you want your Magneto end of chain and the straight to your mixer.

Look at the signal path on page 8 of the manual. Eurorack out is at the end of the chain and there is no way to come out and back in after the VCA but before the Reverb. If you go back into the GM you are creating a feedback loop. If you go back in at the VCA your sound is being controlled by the envelope on the VCA and you won’t hear the delays (unless you leave the VCA wide open but then you have a drone). If you go back in before the REverb would bet you get feedback.

My suggestion would be to use then Eurorack out and through the magneto and then to your mixer. Play with the combination of reverb in the Gm and Magneto to see what you like.

If the Eurorack out is unable to drive the Magneto when it’s end of chain the. You have something wrong with the GM Eurorack Out, hence comment about taking it back.
LTodd
black_label wrote:

Or

Neither. At least neither will get you the best result from the Magneto. You might find some sounds that you like with one or the other, but:

Using the reverb in will utilize the Rev knob as a mixer for both the Magneto effect and the GM rev. You'll get feedback and a completely washed out sound the higher you set the knob's value.

To your first example, patching anything into the VCA in will break the connection from the filter's output to the VCA, so you'll get no sound other than envelope clicks. Because the signal flow is broken in this example, there is nothing to output from the eurorack out.

**Try running the GM filter output into the Magneto L input. Magneto L output to the GM VCA in. You'll only get trails as long as the envelope holds the VCA open in this case, but it can get some cool sounds.

here's a quick example:

Your best bet (IMO) is running your Magneto L Out into its own mixer channel and blending to taste. GM euro out to Magneto L in, GM output into mixer ch1, Magneto L out into mixer ch2 (Magneto dry signal turned all the way down).
LTodd
Armstrb wrote:
black_label wrote:

Or

Neither, I think you want your Magneto end of chain and the straight to your mixer.

Look at the signal path on page 8 of the manual. Eurorack out is at the end of the chain and there is no way to come out and back in after the VCA but before the Reverb. If you go back into the GM you are creating a feedback loop. If you go back in at the VCA your sound is being controlled by the envelope on the VCA and you won’t hear the delays (unless you leave the VCA wide open but then you have a drone). If you go back in before the REverb would bet you get feedback.

My suggestion would be to use then Eurorack out and through the magneto and then to your mixer. Play with the combination of reverb in the Gm and Magneto to see what you like.

If the Eurorack out is unable to drive the Magneto when it’s end of chain the. You have something wrong with the GM Eurorack Out, hence comment about taking it back.

Ha! You were typing all of this while I was putting together my video. Basically saying the same things, so sorry for all the double info. Hopefully one of us will be able to help.
black_label
Thank you both for the double info! It all helps!

I’ll post an update as soon as I get my GM back from Asheville.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1