MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Scrotum Lab - Radio Music v3.1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Scrotum Lab - Radio Music v3.1
batchas
I changed a few things on this version I made for the BugBrand modular system.
- Some legends have different names now (more "sample player" oriented so to say).
- CV IN for sample selection and for pitch have now attenuators.
- CV IN for sample selection and for pitch now accept -5v/+5v range.
- The firmware was modified because pots and CV IN are handled differently. So logcally the official firmware won’t work on this module.
- Some new variables can be set via SD Card, like note range. It allows to experiment with extreme lower pitches for instance.

Img 1
Img 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmZdjor39M

FIRMWARES:
First if you want to upload a firmware on your module, you do that on your own risk. Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any question or anything is not clear in my following explanations.
I mean you should take care by doing this, because the module is out of the system and powered.
So it should not touch anything metallic (avoid any short), nor you should touch any component or any connection on the board, or touch any pin or component on the Teensy.

Radio Music v3.1 firmware is installed on the Radio Music v3.1 module. So it works straight away with the 16GB micro SD Card and the 16 banks of samples I provide with the module (incl. micro SD Card adapter).

I also modified the Chord Organ alternative firmware, so it can work on this version of the module.

These firmwares can be found here. I’ll put everything on Github later on.

The Chord Organ hex firmware file for Radio Music v3.1 module: click to download.

The Radio Music v3.1 hex file for Radio Music v3.1 module: click to download.

The Teensy loader app can be found here:
App for OS X: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_mac.html
App for Windows: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_win10.html
App for Linux: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_linux.html

You connect the Teensy in the back of your module to your computer via USB. You also power on the module (see warnings above).
You unzip the hex file, open it in your Teensy loader app and follow the screen instructions.

You might need to click in the back of the Teensy if not automatically uploaded, like I show in this quick video. Again take care during manipulation of the module and of the Teensy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97CxD7KRpwQ
DickMarker
Very cool - that pitch control is a nice feature.
T. Jervell
Superb work applause
Looking forward for some sample playback in my BugBrand case thumbs up
chrisdermo
Fantastic work as always batchas! Excellent upgrade - looking forward to having another in the rack!
/\/\/\/
MIDI is a cool bonus - can you control everything with it?
batchas
/\/\/\/ wrote:
MIDI is a cool bonus - can you control everything with it?

Sorry I was not precise enough. I meant MIDI clock in on the Grilles module.

I will edit my first post.
batchas
Firsrt jam with v3.1 and joystick excessss:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM6TmU2Cg4c
fredguy
Well done as usual. we're not worthy
batchas
Also from very first jam yesterday with the v3.1
For fun.
Goes in ever direction hihi

Here with alone PT Delay:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB9-EonTVhs

Here with other RM versions. S&H goes to pitch on v3.1:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB0e7fSSjfE
batchas
My post in the FRAC part of the forum was deleted by the admin, so if someone with FRAC format is seing this post, I can make the Radio Music with Johnson bananas too. And the MTA power header you need. I can also put a Eurorack header, no prob. Also black panel is available.

And this is the video which was posted in the FRAC section:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmZdjor39M
werock
Is it easy to change the bananas to mini jacks? If so i'd be interested in one with a black panel. Thanks!
batchas
werock wrote:
Is it easy to change the bananas to mini jacks? If so i'd be interested in one with a black panel. Thanks!

I'll check which mini-jacks fits in the 8mm banana holes of the panels and also of the PCB behind and let you know.
lud
Looks great Batchas, the attenuators are a smart addition
batchas
batchas wrote:
werock wrote:

I'll check which mini-jacks fits in the 8mm banana holes of the panels and also of the PCB behind and let you know.

I checked and it's ok with the 3.5mm I have. I might need to bend the legs so they do not touch the PCB behind the panel, but it remains clean and I'll show you anyway before doing anything.
Tajnost
I'm probably getting a couple of them if possible. Please check your email!
werock
batchas wrote:
batchas wrote:
werock wrote:

I checked and it's ok with the 3.5mm I have. I might need to bend the legs so they do not touch the PCB behind the panel, but it remains clean and I'll show you anyway before doing anything.

Cool, thanks for looking into it.
/\/\/\/
A note of caution for those interested in changing firmware:

The USB power trace on the Teensy is cut, meaning that you need the module powered by your system when uploading the firmware via USB. Simple enough but...

Be careful when the module is loose and powered on. Part of the module contacted the case when I was doing this, resulting in a spark and flashing of lights from all the other modules. Yeah...

Everything seems to be working fine still, but obviously this scenario is to be avoided. I'm really not an electronics expert, so no idea how risky that sort of thing might be.
batchas
/\/\/\/ wrote:
A note of caution for those interested in changing firmware:

The USB power trace on the Teensy is cut, meaning that you need the module powered by your system when uploading the firmware via USB. Simple enough but...

Be careful when the module is loose and powered on. Part of the module contacted the case when I was doing this, resulting in a spark and flashing of lights from all the other modules. Yeah...

Everything seems to be working fine still, but obviously this scenario is to be avoided. I'm really not an electronics expert, so no idea how risky that sort of thing might be.

Looks like ground and power were you briefly shorted (a LED maybe touching the frame).
Indeed need to be careful that nothing touches the metal frames, no matter how well each module is protected.

As a few people I decided to cut power traces on the Teensy after people destroyed there Eurorack DIY module, by having it powered and plugged into USB to upload.

I pers. put a protection behind the module when uploading firmwares and testing in the system, like a cardboard for instance.

If the next Teensies were not already cut (the ones for v3.1 PCBs that I'm still wating for) I'd leave the traces after your comment, as it does not look like a protection when a new risk arises like what you described. First time it happens, but still, not cool.

I'll add a warning in the text I send with the Radio Music then.
And I'm sending a message to friends using it as well.

I'll add one warining also then for the Tresses, because this one with ARM chip needs to be powered to be flashed. I have no influence on this. Nor on the Grille with ATMEGAm though the ATMEGA does not need to be powered to be flashed.

EDIT:
While thinking about firmware upload on Tresses for instance, I'll also add some comments in the text I send with the module (still waiting for PCBs for this one too).
Because it's possible to upload the firmware via the FM input, using a WAV file. It's not the method I use, but it might be yours. And we have to think about the missing GND connection using the banana if you decide one day to upgrade. Like using crocodile clips in between for instance.
batchas
Thinking about the question of alternative firmware on upcoming v3.1:
I had to adapt the official code, and I changed it as well as modified the circuit so the pots are not going anymore directly to the Teensy and handled by code, but are instead mixed with CV IN to handle the bipolar signals on the BugBrand system and an attenuator is also present at CV IN now.

So I’ll check asap for instance the Telharfauxnium alt. firmware and see, but if there’s a different alt. firmware you think is worth it, please let me know so I see what I can do.

/\/\/\/ wrote:
A note of caution for those interested in changing firmware

Did you uploaded an alternative firmware?
Can you let me know if you think it's interesting?
/\/\/\/
Thanks for the reply, batchas. I think it was indeed one of the LED legs that touched the frame -- the cardboard isolation is a good idea, and with a little care should be totally sufficient. Good thing that the module is protected, and I was on to jamming soon after that. Mainly just a "oh **** did I nearly kill the module?" moment.

New version looks great, btw. The attenuators especially are an enhancement for the Bug 10V world.

I decided to try the most vanilla of the alt firmware, that being the Chord Organ. Fun experiment, but I prefer the RadioMusic as a sampler.
batchas
batchas wrote:
As a few people I decided to cut power traces on the Teensy after people destroyed there Eurorack DIY module, by having it powered and plugged into USB to upload.

Actually it primarly recommended by Music Thing... I forgot that but found out today while looking for something else.
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/wiki/Preparing-the-Teensy
batchas
/\/\/\/ wrote:
I decided to try the most vanilla of the alt firmware, that being the Chord Organ. Fun experiment, but I prefer the RadioMusic as a sampler.

Yeah. Chords are interesting but the module is then a bit too limited compared to what we can do with samples.
batchas
Okay. Since the last post in this thread, I modified the Chord Organ alternative firmware to go with the Radio Music v3.1 and I have it as .hex file, to be uploaded easely via USB with the Teensy app.

The USB power traces on the Teensy are cut on my builds, so the module needs also to be powered from your BugBrand system or frame.
I can show how to do to upload once its needed.

As I mentionned earlier I am not using this firmware, but I thought I'd adapt it if someone want to try it once he got the module. So you know it's also possible to use it with this version of the Radio Music module.

Some frequencies in this video are hurting my ears... More than when I recorded on cam. But at least it shows that the firmware works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3grno_6KLvQ

Still waiting for the dip switches to arrive to be able to finish the modules Dead Banana
T. Jervell
Thanks for the demo Batchas! I guess the Chords organ FW is OK, but personally I’m getting this for sample playback++ capabillities
Looking forward to have this in my BugBrand system thumbs up
DickMarker
Mine just arrived, along with Tresses.

Many thanks Robert!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2