MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Retroactive ssh vs wogglebog/other
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Retroactive ssh vs wogglebog/other
MrTurboparrot
Hi folks,

I’m considering swapping my wogglebug for a diy ssh retrokative (complex s&h).

https://retroaktivsynthesizers.com/collections/modular/products/retroa ktiv-ssh-variable-slope-voltage-controlled-sample-hold

I have never quite got to grips with the wogglebug, and the ssh seem very similar in function but with more sensible layout.

I’m really only in need of a random source in my 6u setup, and the ssh seems a better use of 10hp.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Any experience?
moremagic
the wogglebug is nice as a pitch to voltage convertor when you dont need to use it as a random source, however i swapped mine out for a sport mod and use a doepfer PLL for my pitch to voltage needs
hinterlands303
The Retroaktiv module definitely seems cool - it's basically the stepped and slewed section of the wogglebug without the woggle cv and some extra controls over slew. It seems like it's bipolar where as the wogglebug outputs positive cv (unless you sample a bipolar source). The SSH doesn't have a clock output or any random gates which you might miss.

For what it's worth I traded out my wogglebug for more straightforward random modules but ended up buying one again because I missed it. I have a bunch of modules which can be used for sample/track and hold but the Wogglebug is still my favorite random source.
pugix
The SSH has a nice set of features in a small footprint. You could probably get most of the slewing features using a module like Maths or Mini Slew. It's too bad the SSH doesn't have a clock output.

I had a Make Noise Richter Wogglebug for a while, but it didn't satisfy me somehow. I couldn't get a woggle behavior like my own DIY Wogglebug does. I swapped it for a SSF Ultra Random Analog, which I like pretty much. The only thing I don't like about the URA is that the A sample & hold can only be clocked by the internal clock. Have you looked at the URA?
R.U.Nuts
MrTurboparrot wrote:
Hi folks,

I’m considering swapping my wogglebug for a diy ssh retrokative (complex s&h).

https://retroaktivsynthesizers.com/collections/modular/products/retroa ktiv-ssh-variable-slope-voltage-controlled-sample-hold

I have never quite got to grips with the wogglebug, and the ssh seem very similar in function but with more sensible layout.

I’m really only in need of a random source in my 6u setup, and the ssh seems a better use of 10hp.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Any experience?

If you only need a random source Wogglebug is as straightforward as it gets: Three different random CVs, three random audio rate signals and a random gate output... Do you have a MK1? The panel labelling is a little weird on it but you could get a greyscale panel for it...
cptnal
Funny you should be going through this thought process. I never gelled with the Bug and always thought I'd replace it when the URA came back in stock. When I finally got a URA I decided to keep the Wogglebug, and now I love it, not least because of this ^^^^ wiggler's posts about it. w00t
evs
The ssh seems to be interesting, but it would be interesting to know how slow the slew can get. The wogglebug has, also at slow speed, a very smooth out.
Can the ssh has that, too?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1