MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KLEE! Live patch vid.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author KLEE! Live patch vid.
Dcramer

Live video of a Modular synth patch featuring the KLEE shift register sequencer.
The Klee is in random mode so it is continually receiving incoming gates from the Pittsburgh Game System. If the same pattern of 16 gates is input repeatedly, then the Klee will output the same sequence. To alter the sequence I’m using a four stage switch to switch between the four different tracks of gate sequences. Each 16 step gate sequence plays 8 times before the switch moves. The Klee outputs 3 sets of CV & Gates, each driving one of the 3 voices; A, B & A+B. All the CVs are patched to separate Quantizers. Through the magic of the Klee, the notes and the gates for all parts are interrelated, creating interwoven melodies and synced rhythms. A little echo is added to the mix and a second, slower, echo is periodically sent a short burst of the mix by a random, clocked envelope. In order to keep the mix changing up, Frames is used to fade each of the three voices in and out, controlled by a slowly moving function generator that takes about 30 seconds to sweep. And finally, to help the sequence change over time, I’ve patched 3 clocked random triggers to the Game System controlling the cursor’s movement; down, left, & right. A fourth random trigger flips the status of any step the cursor is sitting on, gates are turned into rests and rests back into gates. As cursor travels randomly around the grid it periodically alters all four Game System sequences and slowly alters the patterns being sent to the Klee.
A few times in the video I clumsily pan over to the meters where you’ll see the Game System, O’Tool, and VU meter.
The Game System is in drum trigger mode so the first two rows of eight are the first track of gates, rows 3 & 4 are the second track, and so on, a Doepfer switch chooses which row is active. The O’Tool is showing the Klee voltage that drives the BassLine: It is patched from the A+B output on the Klee. In a manner similar to a Turing machine, the Klee will spit out very high notes when the incoming gates are densely spaced and the shift registers fill up, conversely, if few gates are passing into the Klee the voltage being output can be very low. The bassline is triggered by the Klee’s Nor gate output meaning that once the registers fill up, the other two gates fire a lot and the bassline doesn’t fire at all. When the registers are sparsely filled the Nor gates fire often and the bassline notes drop very very low. Because of this my bassline would sometimes drop to a flabby bunch of noise when it got too low. I just wanted the bassline to cut out so I used a Ladik Comparator to compare the lowest note I wanted with the one just below it, those are the two voltages shown in the O’Tool. Then I used the Intellijel Plog to stop the gates that come from the Klee and trigger the bassline envelope, worked like a charm.
The VU meter shows the slow rising and falling voltage that sweeps the Frames through its key frames, each one of which is a slightly different mix of the three voices.
w00t w00t w00t
mantiwhore
This is a fantastic vid. And reminds me to pull my Klee off the storage.
cptnal
Generous as ever, sir. Once again you've given me plenty to think about. Guinness ftw!

Not familiar with the Klee. Thought at first you had a few Stages chained together. I wonder if there's anything in that... hmmm..... Anyway, it's very pretty. I'm off now to research what it does, and how I can do that with what I have... This is fun!
Sleipnir
Awesome as always.
Obviously a few people out there have Klees, but there’s a serious lack of videos featuring it.
In the last couple of weeks, I’ve finished 6 diy modules, and I have exactly one left : Klee+daughterboard. I was keeping it for last, but I think it’s time to sit my ass down with a brew, some tunes, and an exhaust fan.
Guinness ftw!
I’ve had the hole in my West Coasy system for about a year now, next to a PNW. Figure the two of them working each other will give me a few solid months of head scratching and “hmmmm..”
cptnal, if you figure out how to get “KLEE-ness” without having one, you are indeed a genius.
cptnal
Appreciate the encouragement, Sleipnir. First I have to work out what constitutes "KLEE-ness". Mr. Green

However, the quest has already begun to yield results. It's more about the journey than about getting there. This is fun!
trigger303
Great video!!
I always use my Klee with random or noise cv on Random jack,
but with gate signal it becomes different beast !
What a flexibility.
xenosapien
... well fuck, now I want a KLEE...

the build instructions are seriously scary to me for some reason,though.
guess I´ll have to keep an eye on the 2nd hand market or practice soldering some more razz
brotherbeard
xenosapien wrote:
... <<SNIP>>practice soldering some more razz

There are a MASSIVE amount of handy DIY projects that you can learn on and have a downright tasty module afterwards. Most of the Bastl line can be had in kit form, as well as a bunch from Erica, 4ms, AIA, Circuit Abbey... Oh, my the list goes on.

The Klee is a "Mount Parnassus" that's for sure, but oooohhhh so worth it! hyper

THANK YOU for the video. As others have stated, it is always a treat to see the rare Klee video out there. I applaud your efforts.
FatRocky
this is a hot looking sequencer! i have a snd sam16 i was about to sell recently but i decided not to do it because i love the way to play it while adjusting the third row of rotary knobs for individual step lenght gradually and not to only some specific time values with switches like in the Metropolis ( i love my MEtropolis for other reasons by the way)

The thing is i wanted to sell the sam16 and get a Klee, but i don´t know really how intuitive would be to play the klee for standard funky beats ( adjusting in real time the individual step length of the sequence) while keeping everything in sync. ??? hmmm.....

Any comment on that function would be appreciated! thumbs up ,,, i might put my sam16 on sale again as it doesn´t really match with my modular system. I saw a banana 4u klee and can´t stop thinking about it.
Dcramer
Thanks guys! I’ll be sure to do more videos with the Klee.
Sorry this last one has such glitchy audio, it was live to YouTube and is kinda choppy in parts.

For those who haven’t used a Klee, it’s really different, more like a Turing than a straight ahead sequencer.
There’s an amazing doc on Scott Stites site that describes its origins and quirks.
Yes, it has either 1 times 16 step seq or 2 times 8 step seq (you can link them) and as long as you’ve only got 1 high Bit in the registers (yellow lights on top) it will function as normal.
But, like a Turing it can have any number of bits be active and they all get shifted to the right. Having more than one active stage means that the output voltage is always a sum of all the active stages. (Just like the Turing)
The difference is how you load bits in:
In the Turing, you set the knob straight up and it randomly sets the bits, or you throw the one switch.
In the Klee you can set all the switches and press ‘Load’ to fill the bits or you can input them into ‘Random’ as I did in the video. (Must be set to Random mode)
But random isn’t really what that input does on the Klee, the ‘Random’ input on the Klee is a Comparator that creates a high gate from whatever crosses a threshold that you can set. (The gate needs to be long enough) once the Comparator fires off, that bit is set to high. If a clock pulse happens while the Comparator is low, that bit is set low.
This is really cool as it lets you input random stuff if you want and get Turing behaviour or input specific sequences of gates to get specific note CVS out of it. (It’s just a matter of having a little gate producing patch running)
And while the Klee is churning out note CVs, it also sends a trig/gate (2 outputs) out of a buss, whenever a high bit passes a gate switch set to that buss. It also has a middle ‘Nor Buss’ that sends gates when the other two busses are not. This gives you three correlated trig/gate patterns that are interconnected to the melodies.
What all of this means though is that the Klee isn’t going to be a simple way to get repeating sequences with setable gate length or ratchet functions.
It’s really more like having an influence over a pliable structure, just like sculpting with clay, which is its namesake.
w00t w00t w00t
FatRocky
Excellent, thanks for the info. I see its a very unique sequencer. I didn’t know it was like that, I was thinking it was more traditional. I like the idea of the unpredictable shift registers to generate sequences. I love quantizers , so I imagine it would be lots of fun to experiment with the Klee and different quantizers. I also see I better keep my Sam 16 with me and hope to get my hands on a 4u Klee one day.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1