MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recording on the go: advice needed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Recording on the go: advice needed
Avjr
Hi and sorry in advance as i am aware this has been discussed to some extent before but after going through numerous threads i couldn't really get an answer to my specific need.

So let's get down to it. I'm searching for a small device for recording my modular on the go. I want something that i can have on a desk always plugged to my modular that allows me to just press 'REC' and have high quality recording of stereo mixes. No menu diving or daw/portastudio type setting up. I will transfer the recordings to the computer and then edit it all up.

I can't stress this enough, i'm after something that i can just press a button and start recording. No messing around with starting projects, arming tracks, naming folders...

Can you point me to such a device? I guess a field recorder is the way to go. Is there one that provides quality recordings by just a press of a button?

I did get the 4ms Wav Recorder wich would be perfect for my needs but i'm having issues with it.

Hope you get my point and thanks in advance.
Muzone
Currently using the zoom h5 for stereo recording direct from mixer, there's plenty of other devices about the same spec/price point.
I would expect they will all have a "one button" start option record to the next available file/folder.
Avjr
Thanks, Muzone! Will give it a look.
BananaPlug
I have had an Edirol R-09HR for about a decade. Like it very much. You might find a used one at a fair price but recorders today are generally cheaper. It's quite compact and practical though. Has some unusual features and most of the usual ones too. The built in mics are decent and do not resemble alien weapons. Mostly I plug in for anything critical. Good piece of kit.
sleepgardens
You can't go wrong with any portable/handheld recorder from brands such as Zoom, Tascam, Roland, Sony, Marantz.

There are many of them on the market so I could help you more if you can be more specific about your needs on things such as: number and type of inputs, on board-mics and budget.
Avjr
I want it to record the modular, basically. 2 channel/stereo mixes. Won't use on board mics so that's not of importance. The goal is to have the device always connected to the modular, adjust levels, just press 'REC' and get the patch recorded in high quality. Files will later be moved to the Mac where i'll work on them in the DAW. At this point i'm thinking of spending between 200-300€.

Thanks for any tips.

Edit: forgot to mention the outputs will be balanced or unbalanced 1/4 jacks.
ayruos
The Zoom H4/H6 sounds sufficient for your needs. I'm getting the Zoom R16 today to do multitrack from my modular... let's see how it goes.
Avjr
Leaning more and more towards Zoom stuff...

I remember using a Tascam portastudio years ago and all the menu diving was insane! Can't even think of going through that again.

So how's the sound quality on these things? Any major difference from, say, your typical Focusrite interface? Or is that a pseudo-audiophile non-issue?
Muzone
Avjr wrote:

So how's the sound quality on these things? Any major difference from, say, your typical Focusrite interface? Or is that a pseudo-audiophile non-issue?

most of the criticisms I've seen of the Zoom (and similar) devices is on the quality of the mics, if you're using line-in and set your levels properly there's no reason not to get recordings comparable with an interface around the same price range.
Avjr
Muzone wrote:
most of the criticisms I've seen of the Zoom (and similar) devices is on the quality of the mics, if you're using line-in and set your levels properly there's no reason not to get recordings comparable with an interface around the same price range.

Yes, of course. I have been using a Scarlett 2i2 up until now and it shouldn't be in any way worst than that.
Koekepan
I use my Tascam DR-05 almost exactly how you describe. Turn it on, arm record, check levels, hit record again to actually record, hit stop when I'm done.

Only menu diving at all was just to set things like recording bitrate, and how often do you do that?
3pand
I'm curious what issues you are having with the 4ms wav recorder? I'm also interested in this module. Thanks

Also, I have a Zoom H5 and would be happy to do a recording for you if you're curious to see how it sounds.
Avjr
3pand wrote:
I'm curious what issues you are having with the 4ms wav recorder?

The Wav Recorder, i can't get a clean recording or playback. Tha card flashing produces a noise that you can hear both during recording and playback and it actually gets recorded. If i have something loud and busy going on the noise gets buried in the mix but if i have a low signal, a heavily low pass filtered one for instance, you can hear the noise in the background. If i have a moment of silence during a recording you hear the noise in the background. Other users have said they have no such behaviour in their units but i've actually tried 2 different units and had the same issue on both. So i'm thinking that something within my set up is contributing to this situation but i just can't figure out what as i've tried pretty much everything i could do. Different cases, psus, locations, rearranged modules next to it, different level settings... Reported and waiting for a reply but i'm in a position where i cannot wait much longer to find an alternative if needed. Hence this thread. The module is amazing, though. Only having to press a button without any setting up and you have a patch recorded improves your workflow, inspiration and productivity. It really makes you NOT want to go back to a computer again. So that's what i'm after.

I appreciate the offer but no need, i'm pretty much sold on a Zoom or Tascam unit. Thanks!
sp1200
Also have a Zoom H5. It’s pretty capable for the small size. If you’re field recording or needing line inputs, it’s not failed in either respect for me.

Just make sure you get a windscreen for the stock mix; it’s super sensitive to air pressure.
3pand
Yeah can't go wrong with a Zoom! Sorry to hear about the troubles with the 4ms, it really looks perfect. The issue you describe sounds exactly like an issue I had with a sensitive module that had to do with a power supply and/or flying busboards.

The only power situation I found that completely solved it was TipTop studio busboards, but of course I'm sure there are other things that would have worked.
Flexyflier
Avjr wrote:
I want it to record the modular, basically. 2 channel/stereo mixes. Won't use on board mics so that's not of importance. The goal is to have the device always connected to the modular, adjust levels, just press 'REC' and get the patch recorded in high quality. Files will later be moved to the Mac where i'll work on them in the DAW. At this point i'm thinking of spending between 200-300€.

Thanks for any tips.

Edit: forgot to mention the outputs will be balanced or unbalanced 1/4 jacks.

I use the Alesis HD24 for this purpose.
waylon
Recorders are absolutely great choice. I always prefered zoom over tascam. These are great for start
https://drumshop.pl/4567-zoom-dyktafon-cyfrowy-rejestrator-audio-h1-re corder.html
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H1n--zoom-h1n-handy-recorder
H1N is slightly more expensive but totally worth it's price.
snercle
+1 for ZOOM

recorded all the sound for my videos here https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213225 on a Zoom H4n

Just make sure you get the levels right and you're good to go Rawk!
jorg
Be aware that these little recorders will always wait for your huge gig, then go to the Great Gig In The Sky. I have had numerous experiences such as:

Recorder suddenly decides it wants a different brand of SD card.
Hard drive "protects" itself and shuts off when the music gets loud.
Non-removable battery goes from 100% to 0% in 5 seconds.
3pand
This doesn’t have the recording software added yet, but if you’re going for amazing quality and a variety of other uses it’s worth a look:

https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/merging+anubis

You also get super high quality a/d d/a, monitor controller, really clean headphone amps, two mic pres, remote control of a DAW via an Ethernet cable, and probably a lot more.

I don’t work for Merging haha, just interested in one of these for monitor control and remote recording. It can even be battery powered!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1