MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

ClockBox Changes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ClockBox Changes
BugBrand
I can't quite remember where I posted an early pic of the ClockBox ideas:

But, anyways - having had the protos running and playing with them, I'm re-evaluating.

The Dual Clock doesn't feel particularly useful!
Not 100% sold on the Quad Divider approach - perhaps alongside there should also be something more like the old CLK modules (multiple outputs)
The DDSR I'm at least very happy with!
The Logic/Switching module hasn't yet got happy for various reasons.
The DC Mixer feels like a useful modular block.

Anyways, just to say that ideas continue to evolve - there are more modular ideas swirling - with a definite personal NEED for clocking utility (that's always been a great driver for me) but I don't think my initial ClockBox idea quite hits it.

Maybe more Modular IS really a better approach.
Re-did the Diode Director (UTL6C) 'cos that's simple & useful.
And made up something I'm calling Binary Block Voltage - a bit like a larger SEQ2A 2BitBinMux - though this really needs more supporting division modules. This feels like a bit of a quite simple but quite different way of generating sequences (which is clearly an important area within my systems)

T. Jervell
Looks interesting indeed It's peanut butter jelly time!
DickMarker
So what is this intriguing device ^^^ and what does it do? Not familiar with it's predecessor.
cygmu
My guess is that it's like a one channel sequencer with binary-coded stage selection and no "advance" or "clock" control.

You send in three CVs on the blue jacks. Tese are interpreted as logic high or low levels, so the input is a binary-coded number from 0 to 7. This selects one of the pots, whose setting determines the voltage level that goes to the output.

How did I do, Tom? Part of me thinks I must be wrong because this would be sort of the opposite of a clocking module.
BugBrand
It is like an 8 step preset voltage source - one voltage is selected at any one time depending on the 3-bit binary inputs (A B C).

A B C can each be:
LO = logic 0
HI = logic 1
Ext = comparator input with below c.1V giving logic Low, above giving logic High
--- see the numbers by each dial? Well, that's the binary code - it is quit logically laid out!

You also get to scale the output voltage - either narrow (0 to +2V) or wide (0 to +10V).

So you can either manually switch the switches to select a stage.
Or use external signals (clocks/gates/lfos whatever)
Or a mix of the both.

EG - if you had clock divisions going into A and B - you could manually switch C from Lo to Hi and then you'd shift the sequencing from the Left side to the Right side.

(simple in practice - hard to describe!)

By careful choice of inputs you could get it to sequentially step - but the desire is more to get away from pure regulars!
chrisdermo
More modular = better approach yes thumbs up

Dual Clock - What's missing for you? A clock with both straight and pwm outs to allow for swing seems totally necessary. v/oct CV response too as that allows tempo changes at precise division/multiplication via a keyboard or sequencer/quantizer. I don't know that I'd *need* two clocks along with all the support modules seriously, i just don't get it

Clock division - can't help but feel like having all division outs available on at least one divider would be necessary. Driving things at different related speeds is simple but really effective (have been watching a LOT of darenager's old system vids), doing this via the quad divider would eat up a lot of precious outs. I do, however, think some element of playability on the divisions is an important twist.... placing the diode director next to a multi-out divider fills this role? Not as elegant a solution as the rotary switches though. Personally I'd like to see the divider and logic sections stuffed to the max with i/o alongside something very simply playable that they can be patched/combined into and played out of. Some sort of switch/button bank? Such a utility module would also allow the binary block to be 'played' with fingers - similar to the Lorre Mill keyed mosstone.

DDSR - Love this module. It's perfect, a real winner. So many applications packed into 3fw. The gate outs pair amazingly with 2bit bin mux for an extra layer of movement so can see the binary blocks being an even more wonderful pairing.

DC mixer - definitely 100% needed! w00t
BugBrand
Dual Clock:
- haven't really felt the need for dual.
- a stop/start control would be good.
- perhaps divisions built in.
[back to the drawing board - similar Saw-Core probably but make it something different, single clock in 2FW]

Quad-Divider:
Yep... that's the sort of feelings - nice having the switching but gets used up too quickly and constrains in some ways.
(silly, as I have a few built.. ah well!)
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
Dual Clock:
[back to the drawing board - similar Saw-Core probably but make it something different, single clock in 2FW]

stop/start yeah! That would be so unbelievably useful. If that stop/start could be paired with a gate out to optionally feed reset inputs of supporting modules (dividers/linear sequencers) that would be magic.

Stop/start buttons should always have some character as well I think, like the ones from old drum machines. This one from the hammond autovari-64 has always been love for me

DickMarker
BugBrand wrote:
It is like an 8 step preset voltage source - one voltage is selected at any one time depending on the 3-bit binary inputs (A B C).

A B C can each be:
LO = logic 0
HI = logic 1
Ext = comparator input with below c.1V giving logic Low, above giving logic High
--- see the numbers by each dial? Well, that's the binary code - it is quit logically laid out!

You also get to scale the output voltage - either narrow (0 to +2V) or wide (0 to +10V).

So you can either manually switch the switches to select a stage.
Or use external signals (clocks/gates/lfos whatever)
Or a mix of the both.

EG - if you had clock divisions going into A and B - you could manually switch C from Lo to Hi and then you'd shift the sequencing from the Left side to the Right side.

(simple in practice - hard to describe!)

By careful choice of inputs you could get it to sequentially step - but the desire is more to get away from pure regulars!

Ahah think a lightbulb just turned on - thanks Tom.
DickMarker
BugBrand wrote:
Dual Clock:
- haven't really felt the need for dual.

Quad-Divider:
Yep... that's the sort of feelings - nice having the switching but gets used up too quickly and constrains in some ways.
(silly, as I have a few built.. ah well!)

That would be a really cool feature.
BananaPlug
Binary Block is a must have for me!
Would be nice to have some logic gates to use with it. AND, OR, Flip Flop...
BugBrand
BananaPlug wrote:
Would be nice to have some logic gates to use with it. AND, OR, Flip Flop...

This is what the ClockBox 'Clock Utilities' had become - though, as I said, it didn't quite click with me (I think in part the circuit approaches need rechecking)

DickMarker
Damn, that looks so...useful!
lud
Is the right hand side of the clock utilities a switch? Looks like a cool module!
BananaPlug
I forgot. Think you showed us something like that. Seems a great general purpose combination. Yes indeed.

edit: corrected auto-corect typo should/showed
rico loverde
applause for modules that make me think and experiment again. YES!!!!!!
/\/\/\/
Nice update, always interesting to see how things are moving along. The original ClockBox looks great, though I can appreciate the distillation process.

The main case I can think of for the dual clock is having swing applied to one and not the other... I wonder if that could be split to two outputs from a single clock (with one of the outputs having variable amount of swing)? Always in favor of having more functions in a smaller space. I guess the benefit of dual modules is that they might save ~1FW from the shared circuitry when doubling up?

I could imagine the voltage block would be great with the DDSR, DC Mixer, and a quantizer for adding some scales/harmonic structure into the mix. It would be very cool if one of the Voltage Block inputs could alternately do the AD conversion (single input instead of 3)... making the Voltage Block itself into a sort of funky quantizer. Played with a varying envelope shape, could be fun.
BugBrand
After a few messages, I realised that I made out that the QDiv was already dead-in-the-water -- I'm going to check more next week, but really the feeling was that doesn't feel like the ONLY approach for divisions.
fever606
Dang, that Binary Block Voltage looks ACE! I'm imaging that catching a couple of the D/A outs from the DDSR and maybe a touch gate from the Joystick/Touch or CTL1... fantastically playable!

Guess I should look into getting a DDSR sooner rather than later...

Oh and deeply liking everything else in this thread too!
Corbeau
So stoked to see the final version of this! Might be able to get rid of a lot of my Eurorack clocking modules with all these. Can't wait BugBrand!
GryphonP3
BugBrand wrote:

Holy bugs!! My search for UTL6B has ended!! we're not worthy
DickMarker
Just looking at that Clock Utilities module - the two identical switch sections at the top - is that a divide by 2 below what I presume is an inverter?
BugBrand
Yes, exactly that ( /2 also called flip-flop)
DickMarker
Flipping hell - hope this one becomes a reality!
BananaPlug
As I understand it the two jacks either do divide by two or inversion, depending on the switch.

edit: I was too slow.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2