old Hofners

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

old Hofners

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:08 pm

i was looking at early Mothers vids after learning of the passing of Jimmy Carl Black, thought the bass looked cool:

then saw this guit on Craigslist: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/907137043.html

built in treble boost and fuzz? :party:

chromium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chromium » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:13 pm

I think that particular bass is a 500/8B - with bass boost and fuzz active circuit. They offered two different active circuits at the time.

According to this site, the "official" model designation of their guitar equivalent is a 4578 Ambassador. Here's a schematic for the electronics in the Ambassador:

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vintageh ... wire8.html

You can see on the bass verion that there's a pretty elaborate setup (for the time) stuffed in there:

Those old Hoffies are cool, but it seems (at least with the bass versions) that neck resets are often needed - at least according to folks with 'em on some of the bass boards I frequent. Not sure if the guitars are like that too, but its something to keep in mind (budget for) when buying one.

Sad to hear of Jimmy Black's passing. This is one of my favorite early Mothers tracks - no vid, but decent audio:

[video][/video]

What a pumpkin!

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:36 pm

i'm not a huge Zappa fan, but those Mother's records were great, really stand the test of time for me....

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”