MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plancks II Build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Plancks II Build
henrry
Hello.

I just built three units of the Plancks II but the upload of the firmware didn't seem to work properly. The three sliders and LED are now flashing very fast and, the color pot is stuck to red.

I Terminal I did have the folowing "error" message:
"
/usr/local/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy -I ihex -O binary build/frames/frames_bootloader_combo.hex build/frames/frames_bootloader_combo.bin
openocd -f interface/stlink-v2.cfg -f target/stm32f1x.cfg -c "init" -c "halt" -c "sleep 200" \
-f stmlib/programming/jtag/erase_f10x.cfg \
-c "flash write_bank 0 build/frames/frames_bootloader_combo.bin 0x0" \
-c "verify_image build/frames/frames_bootloader_combo.bin" \
-c "sleep 200" -c "reset run" -c "shutdown"
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2018-09-30-09:42)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 1000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 1000 kHz, using 950 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 1000 kHz, using 950 kHz
Info : clock speed 950 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v29 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 3.207330
Info : stm32f1x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
target state: halted
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Handler HardFault
xPSR: 0x01000003 pc: 0xfffffffe msp: 0xffffffdc
Info : device id = 0x20036410
Info : flash size = 128kbytes
stm32x mass erase complete
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Handler HardFault
xPSR: 0x01000003 pc: 0xfffffffe msp: 0xffffffdc
target halted due to breakpoint, current mode: Handler HardFault
xPSR: 0x61000003 pc: 0x2000003a msp: 0xffffffdc
wrote 43904 bytes from file build/frames/frames_bootloader_combo.bin to flash bank 0 at offset 0x00000000 in 3.590366s (11.942 KiB/s)
target halted due to breakpoint, current mode: Handler HardFault
xPSR: 0x61000003 pc: 0x2000002e msp: 0xffffffdc
verified 43904 bytes in 0.967274s (44.326 KiB/s)
shutdown command invoked
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/eurorack-modules$
henrry
Is this a hardware or a software issue?

Because there were a couple of uncertain things involved during the building process:

First of all I did buy my PCB from pushermanproductions.com and it was hard to read at some places.

The U10 on the PCB dindn't show up in the BOM. So I assumed I had to use the only component that could fit in this place: Q1

Then out of the three components ordered from smallbear-electronics only one matched at 100% with what I actually ordered: the Song Huei vertical Pot...

For the IC10 who's value should be V2164SZ I read the following one on it: V2164M... I used it anyway because I had no other option.

For the FRAME pot who's value should be 10kB I could read on it 100kB (which was correct according to my mesure but incorrect according to the cheklist I recieved with my order. The same applied for IC10...)

So I experimented with a mod: soledered a series of resistors to reach the value of 11.1K . I then soledered this on pin 1 and 3 of the FRame pot.

Could this be the cause of the bug (tried to upload the firmware twice with the same result)?
henrry
Here is the image made thanx to the shematics in order to read the PCB easyly. May it help someone.

help
henrry
Last thing:
I just found out that the sliders pins were not all soldered...

And also as I was doing the programming late at night, I first uploaded Clouds firmware before uploading the Frames'.... d'oh! Dead Banana
Should I just retry uploading the firmware after reflow of the sliders?

help
henrry
Yo!

The soldering is fixed. But still I have a similar error message while uploading the firmware.

So the question remains: IC10 who's value is V2164SZ in the BOM and that links to the V2164M on smallbear electronics'web page, Are They The Same? Those guys don't provide any datasheet... seriously, i just don't get it

Is it so a soldering problem?
Should I then check the circuit directly connected to the STM32?
hmmm.....
electric mist
Quote:
The U10 on the PCB dindn't show up in the BOM. So I assumed I had to use the only component that could fit in this place: Q1

Hey, U10 is a Crystal or ceramic resonator. Without that you’re MCU can’t run.

Don’t worry about the 2164, the one you have is the good one.

About the pot, i’m not sure your trick will work in this case. You can try but it’s simpler to ask small bear to send you the value you ordered.

When you built the micro modules or other mutables, it’s highly recommended to use the Design file to have some references and double check BOM mistakes or oversights. In this case the layout has been done in Diptrace by Jim. The files are available online and the free version of Diptrace is enough to open these.
henrry
Thanks a lot for your advice.
I didn't know about this Diptrace software. Just installed it. Very useful indeed! I'll need to check everything that is connected to the STM32 I guess.

Regarding the U10 I used the part listed as Q1 in the BOM which is Mouser part number CSTCE8M00GH5C99-R0. A 8MHz crystal I guess.

By any chance do you know if I can do continuit testing on STM32 pins using a multimeter without damaging it? I don't see any shorts in the circuit but maybe there is something making a short that I don't see...

Removed the mod on the Pot. Tried to use the module as is without reloading once again the firmware assuming that some bytes are written and the firmware uploaded. The slinders and led keep on blinking fast with the frame knob red...
electric mist
Quote:
Regarding the U10 I used the part listed as Q1 in the BOM which is Mouser part number CSTCE8M00GH5C99-R0. A 8MHz crystal I guess.

Yes my bad this is what you need.

Quote:
By any chance do you know if I can do continuit testing on STM32 pins using a multimeter without damaging it? I don't see any shorts in the circuit but maybe there is something making a short that I don't see...

It’s tricky and i’m not sure what you want to check. It never hurts to check for short or bad solder joint with a magnifying glass and to reflow with some flux.

Quote:
The slinders and led keep on blinking fast with the frame knob red...

Is the frame knob red red or red orange ? According to the manual “The 4 LEDs will blink, and the central knob will be lit in orange.” mean you’re entering the firmware uptade mode. So if it’s what your module do that means only the bootloader is installed or something forces the module to boot in “update mode”.
I’m not familiar with vagrant so I can’t help with you’re report. I do it the lazy way with stlink utility. If you have access to a windows pc, you should try.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1