MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

double knot vs drm2?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author double knot vs drm2?
odditymedium
can they be compared? similarities? pros and cons?

what about the cowboy callosum: https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/lorre-mill-cowboy-callosum

having 4 coices means analogu modular quadraphonic drums... nice

whereas drm1 is only one voice

which one would you go for?
chrisdermo
Completely different kettle of fish.... similarities are pretty minimal, particularly in 'performability'.
The DRM2 voicing feels infinitely deep through it's modulation and signal routing options, whereas the double knot is way more vanilla in that respect, albeit with 2 voices.
For self patching rhythmic capabilities, the double knot is more immediate and recognizable, due to it's included shift register sequencer. The DRM2 self sequence/patch capabilities are fun, but you will struggle to get anything like the double knot rhythms out of it without an external sequencer of some sort.
BananaPlug
I only know DRM2 from descriptions but wouldn't compare it with DoubleKnot. I had the Knot and it was fun for a while but I sold it due to certain limitations. If you want to use FM the two channels aren't independent anymore (and they sound best with FM). Too much of the envelope/VCA area can't be patch.

All-in-one tiny tabletop things like DoubleKnot are not made like full on modular gear. There's nothing wrong with this but IMHO it's a different category with a different aesthetic. DK gave me a chance to play with shift register stuff and the sounds were quirky and cool but after finding a few sweet spots and enjoying those for a while I was done with it. Your mileage may very.
Boat
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:
... sold it due to certain limitations...
...Too much of the envelope/VCA area can't be patch....
...it's a different category with a different aesthetic....
...quirky and cool but after finding a few sweet spots and enjoying those for a while I was done with it....
Boat

Perfect description of my DK experience too. I actually bought and sold it twice, but I'll also add that in lower registers it sounded particularly under-powered and would get swallowed by pretty much anything else in a mix.
PLNB
As always the correct answer is buy both.
Doubleknot excels with quirky percussive madness to robotic bleeps, and when paired with others (still lusting for drm2), it adds a random factor from the shift registers. Benjolin and Grackler would be better comparisons than the DRM2.
BugBrand
The DDSR isn't a million miles from the shift-reg part of the Double Knot (I would imagine - still never played one)
batchas
odditymedium wrote:
whereas drm1 is only one voice

The filter can act as a second voice with separate trig input (via expander for instance).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1