MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any love for Modcan Series A?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Any love for Modcan Series A?
Firechild
In Europe it seems to be totally no interest in this format. How about US/Canada?
I have a friend trying to sell his and I may be interested but it comes without PSU and chassi.
Can I use standard dotcom power and just change connectors?
Is there any supplier of modcan series A wood cabinets?
KSS
Modcan A are excellent synths. Power and chassis are easily sorted. Do not let that be a reason to pass one up. Three factors combined to reduce their popularity.
One was poor business practice of a 3rd party supplier of modules in the format. Second was the shift in focus and then illness of the Modcan creator. Third was the size and high cost compared to eurorack.

This became more evident as Modcan euro modules became available, and there was then less need to pursue the original A modules for their unique interface and features. You may have noticed none of these reasons have anything to do with sound.

If you have room and are not averse to banana patching, then you will be glad you did whatever it takes to get the power and chassis sorted. This will not be hard to do. There is nothing inherently difficult about the case and power of a ModcanA system.
Be Sandy?
Firechild wrote:
In Europe it seems to be totally no interest in this format. How about US/Canada?
I have a friend trying to sell his and I may be interested but it comes without PSU and chassi.
Is there any supplier of modcan series A wood cabinets?

Modcan is wonderful, A or B or Euro!
But, A series is not something to get into if you are expecting there to be lots (any) new modules coming out, unless you DIY something in that format.

PSU is standard +/-15V and uses a 3 pin connector as standard. A dotcom power supply attached to a suitable busboard will work well. That's what I use with my Modcan B series which is the same for power as A series. Another option, depending on the size of the system, is a Blacet power supply.

There are no suppliers of A series cabinets that I am aware of although it would not be too hard to make one yourself or get one made if you have no woodworking inclinations.
JohnLRice
Firechild wrote:
Yes, definitely! thumbs up Modcan A uses +-15v and the connector is a 3 pin MTA-156. Read through the two threads below for some related info:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16488

Firechild
Thanks a lot for your input!
I will check out the links as well thumbs up
dp4
KSS wrote:
If you have room and are not averse to banana patching, then you will be glad you did whatever it takes to get the power and chassis sorted.

agreed - I was able to track down two A chassis with some luck/time this year and had a friend make me a proper +/- 15V PSU with a PowerOne - plenty of power for future expansion and works wonderfully.
mutierend
FWIW, I have 5U and Buchla systems, and I would *love* to have a Modcan A setup, even a small one.
Gringo Starr
mutierend wrote:
FWIW, I have 5U and Buchla systems, and I would *love* to have a Modcan A setup, even a small one.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209419

Oooops... forget it. Looks like it’s been sold.
JohnLRice
mutierend wrote:
There is a pretty good sized one on eBay right now, someone located in Georgia USA.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1