MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley ASV: Complete Synth Voice for 5U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Oakley ASV: Complete Synth Voice for 5U
Synthbuilder
This is for folk who like to build their modules.

I have circuit boards available for my new Analogue Synthesiser Voice module.

And a quick picture of the reverse side showing the four printed circuit boards.

More information, including sound samples, at the usual place:

http://www.oakleysound.com/asv.htm

I'll be updating the above page with photos of the boards in more detail, as well as adding a User Manual and complete Builder's Guide in the next few days. Currently the Builder's Guide has just the parts list but it'll give you an idea of what's needed to build the project.

Here's something I knocked showing what you could do with just an ASV, some reverb and delay, and Nord A1 doing the strings. All done live with the lead and strings done as an overdub. The sausages were under the grill which made me work quickly:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/asv-track[/s]

Tony
Leverkusen
Hooray!

There it is. Finally! I like your sausage sounds and just ordered a set of PCB's - together with a delay and a phaser, which should make a nice team...

SlayerBadger! w00t Guinness ftw!
Revok
The demos are all so good. This thing sounds awesome!
Dave Peck
Looks great, I nice alternative to a SEM! How easy would it be to add three additional patch points for LP out, HP out, and BP out? This would really open up the possibilities of the filter when using it in a larger modular by allowing you to do things like patch various filter outputs to crossfaders, adding CV control of filter modes. Or pass the different filter outputs through various other processors like phasers or whatever and then re-combine them, etc.

Also, do you have artwork for an MU panel?

Or do you know if this will be offered by Krisp1 as a pre-built MU module?
Synthbuilder
Dave Peck wrote:
How easy would it be to add three additional patch points for LP out, HP out, and BP out?

There's no dedicated patch points on the main PCB but you could hack some additional outputs from the filter outputs. They are all buffered so it wouldn't be too difficult to do. Of course finding space on the jack field will be tricky.

Ultimately, working out what to keep and what to remove was the hardest part of the design. Trying to cram so much into a 5U or 4MU wide panel is bound to leave some folk disappointed. In the end I chose what I would like and tried not to think about all the other possibilities. Remember though that this is a modular unit. One could route the Mixer Out to an external SVF and then back into the ASV's Filter In for further processing fun.

Quote:
do you have artwork for an MU panel?

I don't yet but the MOTM and MU layouts are identical. I am planning to have some MU panels made. I will be asking Ben to look into this for me shortly.

Two of these should sit side by side in a Box 11 with some space for some extras like a midi-CV convertor or sequencer.

Quote:

Not sure yet.

Tony
Dave Peck
Synthbuilder wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:
How easy would it be to add three additional patch points for LP out, HP out, and BP out?

There's no dedicated patch points on the main PCB but you could hack some additional outputs from the filter outputs. They are all buffered so it wouldn't be too difficult to do. Of course finding space on the jack field will be tricky.

Ultimately, working out what to keep and what to remove was the hardest part of the design. Trying to cram so much into a 5U or 4MU wide panel is bound to leave some folk disappointed. In the end I chose what I would like and tried not to think about all the other possibilities.

I think you made some good choices about what to include! Especially the audio rate filter FM, and the triangle wave that bypasses the filter. Nice.

Yes, it looks like the question of where to install new patch point jacks will involve some head scratching... You could probably still use the jack field PCBA and install some new Switchcraft 112 jacks through new front panel holes located between the existing jacks, and bend the solder tabs over on the new jacks so they don't hit the jack field PCB... or maybe install the new jacks in some adjacent module, like a spare multiples module....
krisp14u
Dave Peck wrote:

If I get enough interest I will make them for sure It's peanut butter jelly time!
I would need quit a few solid orders as I cant afford to build this if it sells at the rate the last 2 modules I released have Dead Banana

I will be starting my own build as soon as the boards get here in the morning Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Rex Coil 7
Synthbuilder wrote:
.... I have circuit boards available for my new Analogue Synthesizer Voice module.

Here's something I knocked showing what you could do with just an ASV, some reverb and delay, and Nord A1 doing the strings. All done live with the lead and strings done as an overdub. The sausages were under the grill which made me work quickly:

Tony
woah we're not worthy eek! we're not worthy

Revok wrote:
The demos are all so good. This thing sounds awesome!
That's no lie! The ~lead~ sound in the Sound Cloud file posted (attached) above reminds me of a well known Klaus Schulze video ... (the part I'm referring to comes in at around 6:50 minutes) ...

Dave Peck wrote:
Looks great ...
Sounds even better.

Dave Peck wrote:
nice alternative to a SEM!
This new Oakley is easily destined to be known as a classic, and soon.

Dave Peck wrote:
I think you made some good choices about what to include! Especially the audio rate filter FM, and the triangle wave that bypasses the filter. Nice
Spot on.

cookie?!?
JohnLRice
Synthbuilder wrote:

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
josaka
Everyone will want one I think...be curious to see the price point..
..for this all-in-one module ..its the key in this post behringer landscape..

looking lovely.. ! smile
JohnLRice
I was just thinking, while special cables could be made, if the jack board connectors were doubled up it would make if very easy to plug into a future Oakley or third party programmer module? The programmer would only make the interconnections of course, not pot or switch settings, but could be a handy thing? It could be just something simple like a single rotary switch and many banks of jumpers, DIP switches, and or a pin matrix to 'program' each 'preset' or something fancier that would provide for Gate and/or MIDI selection of presets and more memory locations? Or at least the connection points might make it easy to integrate many of these modules into some larger systems? hmmm.....
Synthbuilder
JohnLRice wrote:
Or at least the connection points might make it easy to integrate many of these modules into some larger systems? hmmm.....

I am hoping to develop a polyphonic voice card at some point. One panel multiple volces... but I have no time scale on this. The next thing on my 'to do' list is a fully polyphonic string synth. The Oakley MAP is also ongoing.

Tony
Synthbuilder
Dave Peck wrote:
You could probably still use the jack field PCBA and install some new Switchcraft 112 jacks through new front panel holes located between the existing jacks...

Sadly there is no room for any more sockets on the PCB. There is only 6mm or so between the plastic outer shells of each socket. You could get the sockets closer with a new layout - a single MU width module can carry three sockets across its width. But I'm not a huge fan of that level of density.

Tony
Synthbuilder
josaka wrote:

Indeed. Uli has managed to get the price of the Model D down to nearly 260 quid here in the UK. That's amazing really and about the price of a single 5U VCO module. If one compares just the raw features then the Behringer will win all the time. Build quality, longevity and ease of servicing may well be different. But a hand made device will never be able to compete in price against mass manufacture.

I'm hoping that the ASV will encourage a few more folk to get into building their own synths.

Tony
JohnLRice
Synthbuilder wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Or at least the connection points might make it easy to integrate many of these modules into some larger systems? hmmm.....

I am hoping to develop a polyphonic voice card at some point. One panel multiple volces... but I have no time scale on this. The next thing on my 'to do' list is a fully polyphonic string synth. The Oakley MAP is also ongoing.

Tony
Sounds good! thumbs up

I was thinking further after I made that last post that there is no need to modify anything to your existing design . . . someone wanting to make a preset capable synth could just skip the jack board and panel all together and then have a big keyboard case with 3 to 8 hyper of the main PCBs behind it's panel and then long ribbon cables connecting them all to the master computer controlled patch matrix / memory / sequencer section! This is fun! I know, this would be quite similar to the Oberheim 2/4/8 voice keyboards with SEMs and a sequencer etc but . . . hihi
hamildad
Synthbuilder wrote:
The next thing on my 'to do' list is a fully polyphonic string synth. The Oakley MAP is also ongoing.

you still planning an analogue Delay? that was going to be my only exception for 'NODIY19'
Synthbuilder
hamildad wrote:
you still planning an analogue Delay? that was going to be my only exception for 'NODIY19'

This one?

http://www.oakleysound.com/ADR30.htm

Not 5U though. Half rack. It does have a CV input for delay though.

I may do one in 5U at some point.

Tony
hamildad
Ah yes, it was the 5U versions I was thinking about.
Leverkusen
Synthbuilder wrote:
hamildad wrote:

Tony

Delay, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus...isn't a reverb missing - a Spring, or multiple cross fed back delays - or a mix of both?
josaka
Synthbuilder wrote:
josaka wrote:

Indeed. Uli has managed to get the price of the Model D down to nearly 260 quid here in the UK. That's amazing really and about the price of a single 5U VCO module. If one compares just the raw features then the Behringer will win all the time. Build quality, longevity and ease of servicing may well be different. But a hand made device will never be able to compete in price against mass manufacture.

I'm hoping that the ASV will encourage a few more folk to get into building their own synths.

Tony

yes.. cant compete with that.. the real problem is ..looking around.. over the last 30 years this idea of 'build quality' has all but gone.. look at tvs-phones-all consumer electronics.. its all cheap chinese(who make all the shit both good and bad) which has become the norm.. I think a lot of euro has gone this way and certain 5u are going.. I think if you cut 5u quality by 50% it would still last 40 years in real terms smile even then you still wouldnt be on par with ulli shame he puts that effort into stealing..
ranix
Not all of the stuff made in China is cheap. Sometimes when you're making a product you have to build it in China because that's where the expertise you need for the moulding or gluing or welding or whatever weird specific thing you need to do is. The actual engineers over there who work on all these different cheap products develop expertise that allows the manufacture of more complex equipment. There are other challenges developing stuff in China though. It's a complex topic. Behringer certainly have the ability to produce top notch equipment if they want to but in my experience they tend to make compromises in the strangest places. Some real "you have to be stupid to do this" kind of mistakes.
josaka
from my post.... 'everything is made there both good and bad'
ba1
Synthbuilder wrote:
hamildad wrote:

This one?

Tony

There are sadly not enough analog delay options in 5U. I would love to see this as a module!
Synthbuilder
ba1 wrote:
There are sadly not enough analog delay options in 5U. I would love to see this as a module!

It's on my 'to do' list. MU only though - probably not MOTM.

As to when it arrives I'm not sure. Folk are wanting my new Euro sequencer ported to 5U so that may come first. And currently my main priority is a whole raft of new Eurorack modules.

Tony
Faustgeist
Great looking additions. I need to heat up the soldering iron. Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2