MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley ASV: Complete Synth Voice for 5U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Oakley ASV: Complete Synth Voice for 5U
ba1
This is a stupid question I'm sure, but can this produce sound without a gate signal inserted?
coyoteous
At a glance, I'd guess not from the main out (didn't spot a VCF out, either)... unless the gate in is normalized high?

I'm interested in this, though... y'all buy some, so I can maybe pick up one secondhand later (heh).
bwhittington
ba1 wrote:
This is a stupid question I'm sure, but can this produce sound without a gate signal inserted?

I’d bet the LFO out can be used to trigger the gate, if it is what you mean. Or there are several raw oscillator outs if you mean any sound.

It’d be neat if a module like this had jumpers for a user-assignable jack to give everyone that one extra thing they’d really like to have in a voice module that no one would ever agree on.
Dave Peck
bwhittington wrote:

It’d be neat if a module like this had jumpers for a user-assignable jack to give everyone that one extra thing they’d really like to have in a voice module that no one would ever agree on.

That is brilliant! This is fun!
ba1
I guess I'd want an out that is post filter and doesn't require a gate signal to open the VCA.

I wonder what the intended use for the VCO1 to VCA pot is. Aren't both VCAs already routed to the VCA audio in via the mixer?
ba1
I'm on the list for one regardless.

Good to know that Coyoteous is positioned for table scraps, just in case... thumbs up
josaka
ba1 wrote:
I guess I'd want an out that is post filter and doesn't require a gate signal to open the VCA.

I wonder what the intended use for the VCO1 to VCA pot is. Aren't both VCAs already routed to the VCA audio in via the mixer?

FM..? drive..?
Dave Peck
josaka wrote:
ba1 wrote:

FM..? drive..?

From the manual:

"This control adjusts the level of VCO1's triangle wave output that is sent direct to the VCA's audio input. This signal bypasses both the mixer and the filter sections of the ASV and as such is not affected by the settings of either. The output of this control is added to the output of the filter. It therefore offers a way of reinforcing the fundamental frequency of VCO1 even if the filter has filtered out that part of the signal. It is a very powerful feature and not often seen on fixed architecture synthesisers."

Seems a bit similar to a concept found in the Yamaha CS-80 voice architecture, in which a sine wave from the osc can be routed to bypass the filters and can be fed directly into the VCAs. Useful for when the filters are acting as HPF or BPF or lopsided Notch filters and are removing some of the fundamental. This kind of trick adds the 'oomph' back into the sound.
Synthbuilder
ba1 wrote:

If no jack plug is inserted into the gate socket then both envelopes are held in their sustain phase, as if they are permanently gated on. So, in this specific case, the final VCA's output level is controlled by the sustain pot of ENV 2. Turn it up and it'll drone on forever without a gate input.

Here's Ben's render of the MU version:

Thalassa
It looks great! : thumbs up thumbs up
Synthbuilder
Dave Peck wrote:
Seems a bit similar to a concept found in the Yamaha CS-80 voice architecture, in which a sine wave from the osc can be routed to bypass the filters and can be fed directly into the VCAs.

This. I got the idea from the CS-30 - several of which had come through my repair shop back in the day. So I started using a similar approach, but with a triangle wave, on the infamous 'Oakley modded' SH-101s I did in the late 90s and early 00s. It's also the main reason I put two input levels on my VCA module.

Tony
Flareless
Beautiful panel! applause
coyoteous
ba1 wrote:
I'm on the list for one regardless.

Good to know that Coyoteous is positioned for table scraps, just in case... thumbs up

Woof!

His master's voice (module)... looks like I was right about the gate normalizing, too!

Added: how much for built MU?

Oh, someone telegraph krisp1 that the once-a-decade website update is coming up:

http://www.krisp1.com
Dave Peck
coyoteous wrote:

Oh, someone telegraph krisp1 that the once-a-decade website update is coming up:

Yikes! Looks like a screenshot from the silicon valley computer museum.

I've always gone here, which looks much better:

http://www.krisp1.com/store/
ba1
Synthbuilder wrote:
ba1 wrote:

If no jack plug is inserted into the gate socket then both envelopes are held in their sustain phase, as if they are permanently gated on. So, in this specific case, the final VCA's output level is controlled by the sustain pot of ENV 2. Turn it up and it'll drone on forever without a gate input.

Here's Ben's render of the MU version:

Great news! And that loos so good!!! applause I can't wait to get one!
krisp14u
coyoteous wrote:

Added: how much for built MU?

Depending on the price of the panels when they come in its looking 550 GBP + shipping to start off with

coyoteous wrote:

I'm sure it used to auto link from there to the store will look into it
coyoteous
Dave Peck wrote:
Yikes! Looks like a screenshot from the silicon valley computer museum.

I've always gone here, which looks much better:

http://www.krisp1.com/store/

lol... yeah, the store link is the one I have bookmarked.

I think I just typed it in krisp1.com this time.

Made me think of geocities, AOL, etc.

krisp14u wrote:
Depending on the price of the panels when they come in its looking 550 GBP + shipping to start off with

I'm sure it used to auto link from there to the store will look into it

Nice, I'll consider a new one... looks like winner, regardless!

Now that I think of it, I think I'd seen a different landing page there.

Added: my "website," though not as important, hasn't been updated in a lot longer.
Pav
https://youtu.be/32X3iNhOLsY

simple arppegiation across a few octaves - no extra bells and whistles.
just a test , not a production. quite loud.
ba1
Pav wrote:
https://youtu.be/32X3iNhOLsY

simple arppegiation across a few octaves - no extra bells and whistles.
just a test , not a production. quite loud.

Sounds great!
ba1
message moved...
Purveyor2
Just finished my build and it sounds terrific. Seriously thinking about building a second one.
Synthbuilder
Purveyor2 wrote:
Just finished my build and it sounds terrific. Seriously thinking about building a second one.

thumbs up
synthetek
Is there a MU panel available?
Synthbuilder
synthetek wrote:
Is there a MU panel available?

Sadly not. One has been ordered but has not yet arrived. waah
oozitron
Droning along with my two ASVs. This is pre-calibration so ignore the out-of-tune moments!

Oakley ASV twins

Andrew
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2