MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SympleSEQ
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author SympleSEQ
Flareless
We've got a new module to offer here at the Lower West Side. It's Hexinverter's SympleSEQ. What an awesome little sequencer. Availability is limited.

Follow the link in my sig to see how you can WIN ONE OF THESE BEAUTIES!

EDIT: The 2018 raffle has ended. Congratulations to H who won the SympleSEQ! Watch for the next sale in Spring of 2019!

Thanks again to everyone who participated!
josaka
lights... what more do you need..
Faustgeist
Marvelous!

Sending you a PM right now smile

~Robin
Flareless
Lights definitely make this little guy more fun. After playing with it for a day now I have to say I just love it. It's simply simple!
mome rath
long live sympleseq!! we're not worthy
Flareless
We're halfway through the weekend and there's still a great chance to win this awesome sequencer!

I also wanted to wish our American friends a very happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Flareless
I just found this awesome video by AlternatingBit demonstrating how to combine 2 8-step SympleSEQ sequencers with a COTK 962 Sequential Switch.

You can also use a Synthesizers.com Q962!

More comments on the video can be found in this thread

Thanks AB for this great demonstration! applause thumbs up
Flareless
What a whirlwind weekend!

Huge thanks to all those who participated in the Lower West Side Studio Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale & SympleSEQ raffle.

Best of luck to all - the raffle draw is just under 5 hours away....

Thanks again!!
alternating.bit
You used my video and yet I missed out on the raffle cry
josaka
trump fingers..
josaka
I think its a good idea to do things like this.. above and beyond !
Faustgeist
Drum Roll....!
Flareless
Sorry this didn't get posted earlier....

The winner of the contest was H - a Wiggler from PA in the USA. Congratulations H!!

@Josaka - Thanks! I think the vendors in our market need to shake things up a bit to give consumers more options.

Stay tuned for Spring when I'm sure another sale will be happening - at least here in the Lower West Side

Thanks again!!!
Faustgeist
Congrats H! applause

And thanks to Rich for putting together a 5u gift event!

~R
TimeRaveler
This would be the perfect sequencer for me if it just had a reset jack (to keep a bar synced with others). Does anyone know if its possible to add one easily? (No DIY experience)
Flareless
Stay tuned....I'm planning out the Symple Sydcar which will include a reset jack among other things nanners
TimeRaveler
Whoa nice! I’m might have to make some decisions as I’ve only got I space left...
umma gumma
that is pretty cool!

congrats to mr H!!!

nanners
Faustgeist
+1 for a simple sydcar module!
Flareless
TimeRaveler wrote:
Whoa nice! I’m might have to make some decisions as I’ve only got I space left...

That's an easy decision; Add another cabinet screaming goo yo thumbs up
TimeRaveler
Flareless wrote:
That's an easy decision; Add another cabinet screaming goo yo thumbs up

I would if I thought my wife wouldn't notice!
JohnLRice
On it's way to me, this sexy tutti-fruity jelly bean sequencing machine! hyper Picture by Flareless:
Faustgeist
Awesome! I think mine is on his bench right now.

JohnLRice wrote:
On it's way to me, this sexy tutti-fruity jelly bean sequencing machine! hyper Picture by Flareless:
Flareless
JohnLRice wrote:
On it's way to me, this sexy tutti-fruity jelly bean sequencing machine! hyper

That's the SympleSEQ: JLR Edition

Faustgeist wrote:
Awesome! I think mine is on his bench right now.

That's yours in the background. Here it is in the foreground...

I love this little guy! Very flexible and easy to use.
josaka
rich.. can you drive this thing way up into audio rates?
Flareless
josaka wrote:
rich.. can you drive this thing way up into audio rates?

I've never tried. I'll test it this aft. First thought, though, is no.

More to follow...
Stereotactixxx
While the internal clock won’t go into audio rate, it can be clocked by ultrasonic frequencies from other oscillators. I use it every now and then as an eight (or fewer) stage waveform generator.
josaka
I have this module which is great..but it takes up a good few spaces...

bit espec near the end...
JohnLRice
My JBSS (Jelly Bean SympleSEQ) arrived safely yesterday! love

bwhittington
JohnLRice wrote:

love Wow! love
Flareless
JohnLRice wrote:
My JBSS (Jelly Bean SympleSEQ) arrived safely yesterday! love

Oh man it looks even better installed! I'm glad you like it.
josaka
...can someone post a video of an osc into the clock and run it to high speeds. thumbs up thumbs up
Precarious
Flareless wrote:

The winner of the contest was H - a Wiggler from PA in the USA. Congratulations H!!

Hey, that's me! Woo-hoo! Just stumbled onto this thread. Big thanks to Rich of Lower West Side for this great X-mas gift. He does quality work. Module looks great, functions perfectly and is tons of fun.

Looking forward to seeing what he's cooking up as an aid to SimpleSeq. Must reserve a space...
JohnLRice
josaka wrote:
...can someone post a video of an osc into the clock and run it to high speeds. thumbs up thumbs up
Here's a quick crappy silent video for you hihi
josaka
JohnLRice wrote:
josaka wrote:
Here's a quick crappy silent video for you hihi

excellent John..exactly what I was looking for.. thank you smile thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

and for all the trouble of recording and posting the video smile
alternating.bit
josaka wrote:
I have this module which is great..but it takes up a good few spaces...

bit espec near the end...

Is it anything other than an 8-step sequencer?
JohnLRice
love OH MY GAAAAWWWDDDD!!!!! love
josaka
JohnLRice wrote:

who has built such a demonic device..?
are the connections normalled..? so one cv/gate can output 4x
this with quantising would be hard to fight...

oh wait..

Dave Peck
JohnLRice wrote:

Hey, that's sweet!

This is fun!
Flareless
Wow that was a fast catch JLR. I was working on the track that goes with that image when your post was made. The plan was to release the photo and track in about an hour. This ModularGrid photo was uploaded a bit earlier so my OCD could happily see my cabinet as it was really laid out.

It was Lower West Side Studio that created this beautiful monstrosity inspired by John's Jellybean SympleSEQ. For shits and giggles I offset each row's color by one.

There is a switch that will normalize all the clocks with the A sequencer's clock (internal or external). This version has all the RUN / HOLD and RESET features wired independently but can have them normalized with some caveats.

All in all a great little toy!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/lowerwestsidestudio/jellybean[/s]

Track Info:

This track developed while testing a Hexinverter QuadSync sequencer built by Lower West Side Studio. This particular version was an expansion on the JLR inspired "Jellybean" SympleSEQ.

The sequence was built using all 4 sequencers clocked from an Oakley Dual LFO which was broken up by a CGS36 Pulse Divider / Boolean Logic Module.

The QuadSEQ gated Frequency Central System X and Hexinverter The Postman envelope generators.

Sounds generated came from Oakley and MFOS VCOs run through a Moogah SEM VCF and a Yusynth ARP 4072 filter.

The whole thing was plumbed through a series of Oakley Classic VCAs (the ones that go to 11) and a Yusynth Panning Mixer.

Because the whole exercise started as a lark I simply added bit from whichever synth I was near as I walked around listening to the sequence progress.
Faustgeist
Does this quad configuration involve any 'marriage' of the four symple SEQs? Like Josaka indicated normalization of say the clock down the chain of all four would be great. I am certainly interested - but am curious about furthering the functionality (ie your sydecar) nanners

-R
Precarious
I noticed this on modular grid! VERY nice!

It certainly has my 2 rows of symple SEQs beat. It's practically double.

Yup, just checked on a calculator and 4 is twice as many as 2.

I was right! Cheesy!
josaka
my jellybean style rack..

Flareless
woah Woah, that's cool. What the hell is it?

@Faustgeist - There is a switch which toggles between syncing sequencers B, C and D to the clock of sequencer A. This works with either an internal or external clock on sequencer A.

Inserting another clock source into sequencer B, C or D while they are sync'd to sequencer A will override sequencer A's clock on that sequencer.

(did I say sequencer enough in this post?)
JohnLRice
I decided to put Davies 1900 style knobs on my sympleSeq because of the tight spacing. (I'm going to do the same on both UEGs). While I was at it, I thought to also get a set of color coordinated knobs to match the jelly bean LEDs hyper nanners but . . . it was just too Tutti Frutti for me! meh lol

Had to try so now I know! All black Davies look nice to me and due to their skinnier diameter are easier to use on a crowded panel then the originals.
Precarious
JohnLRice wrote:
Had to try so now I know! All black Davies look nice to me and due to their skinnier diameter are easier to use on a crowded panel then the originals.

Damn! Those Davies look really nice on this module! Good idea.
josaka
nice to see a bit of colour/light/indiviuality .. poking out from the darkness smile
JohnLRice
Thanks Precarious and josaka cool Rasta-nana The sympleSeq with black Davies knobs looks a bit like a Modcan A series module to me . . .

Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:
... All black Davies look nice to me and due to their skinnier diameter are easier to use on a crowded panel then the originals.

eek! woah eek! woah eek!

diophantine
JohnLRice wrote:
Precarious and josaka cool Rasta-nana The sympleSeq with black Davies knobs looks a bit like a Modcan A series module to me . . .

Whew, thank goodness you went for the black Davies 1900h knobs!
As a red-green color-blind person, those previous knobs screamed more "FU" than "MU" to me! hihi
Dave Peck
JohnLRice wrote:

Somebody should tell your Simple Seq that the Pride parade isn't until June.

You GO, Simple Seq! This is fun!

JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
Somebody should tell your Simple Seq that the Pride parade isn't until June.

You GO, Simple Seq! This is fun!
hihiMiley CyrusThis is fun!
Flareless
I've created a monster. Mr. Green

josaka
the 5U crowd.. if you are different we will burn you.. even though its not our machine..

CONFORM OR DIE.

josaka
colours.. smile
Precarious
josaka wrote:
colours.. smile

Blasphemy!!! Dead Banana

lol
Rex Coil 7
Colors? ... Pffft! ... y'all are a bunch of ROOKIES!

Now this here is colors ...... gnoobies comin round here talkin bout ~colors~ ... HA! ... y'aint got nuthin! ... This here is my house!!

lol hihi

thumbs up
Precarious
This is how color comes into my system...
Flareless
Or how about just reverse the colors...

JohnLRice
Flareless wrote:
thumbs up
Precarious
Flareless wrote:

I'm on it!
Rex Coil 7
Do me next! My turn!!

hihi
JohnLRice
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Do me next! My turn!!
hihi

Flareless
SlayerBadger! w00t
Precarious
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Do me next! My turn!!

hihi

Makeover! hyper
josaka
imagine the chaos if you actually coloured some of those modules.. there would be mass shootings..
JohnLRice
I very much like this "Midnight Bubbles" treatment love although I don't know how the bubbles would work in the real world.

Precarious
josaka wrote:
imagine the chaos if you actually coloured some of those modules.. there would be mass shootings..

Fellas!
Surely this is the 7th sign of the apocalypse!
The End Times of which the ancients foretold!

JohnLRice
Rasta-nana haha, nice work, Precarious! Reminds me of a toddler's xylophone . . . .not that there is anything wrong with that! hihi

josaka
Precarious wrote:
josaka wrote:

Fellas!

looks quite nice actually.. the red/blue combo doesnt work.. could live with the rest.. better than the new moogs.
Precarious
JohnLRice wrote:
Rasta-nana haha, nice work, Precarious! Reminds me of a toddler's xylophone . . . .not that there is anything wrong with that! hihi

Ha-ha! I was shooting for chaos but that's what it reminded me of too.

Match it up with one of these fitted with CV out as a random source and we're in business!

Flareless
Precarious wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Ha-ha! I was shooting for chaos but that's what it reminded me of too.

Match it up with one of these fitted with CV out as a random source and we're in business!

This looks a job for Look Mum No Computer
Rex Coil 7
Precarious wrote:
josaka wrote:

Fellas!

Damn you all! ... You've gone and GRANDMOTHERED my synth!!!!
Rex Coil 7
"Don't eat the brown acid!!!"

JohnLRice wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Do me next! My turn!!
hihi

Rex Coil 7
Puttin' on the Ritz ...

Flareless wrote:
I've created a monster. Mr. Green

kcd06
Labcoats, capes, pattern baldness with ponytails, now coloring pictures. Is this a synth forum or daycare?

Nevermind, dont answer that...
Flareless
kcd06 wrote:
... Is this a synth forum or daycare?

It's both thank goodness!

But back to the SympleSEQ - There's still lots of time to win one of these little beauties and the odds are great!

While I've personally found this to be the ideal supplementary-sequencer in my larger modular its small form factor (only 4.5cm deep {1.77"}) make it ideal for portable systems.

You can find out more details on winning a SympleSEQ and taking advantage of some great savings during Lower West Side Studio's MAYDAY 2019 Sale. Time is running out though!

Here's the SympleSEQ prize module;

Precarious
I'm just here for the naps and free juice and cookies.

But srsly, folks...

As the winner of Flareless' last SympleSEQ raffle, I can vouch for the quality of Rich's work and just how much fun SympleSEQ is. I have two side-by-side running into STG Switch giving me 16 steps. Too much fun to be had!

Looking forward to release of the mysterious SympleSIDECAR Rich mentioned he's working on. A reset input would be very helpful. thumbs up
JohnLRice
Quick patch I just did with my Box11 setup that has my sympleSeq in it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxcgNIhhpeP/
Precarious
JohnLRice wrote:

Lovely!
JohnLRice
Precarious wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Lovely!
Thank you! cool Here's something I did this morning. It used the JBS (jelly bean sympleSeq) of course to play both a Q167 LFO ++ as the main voice and the Chrutil Plaits as the second sort of bass voice. I used the clock divider on my modified Q157 SH++ to fire the Plaits voice less often than the LFO voice.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/peaceful-gray-day[/s]
Precarious
Several examples here of SympleSEQ in action.

Pitches quantized by Q171/Q172.
Excessive patch notes on Youtube (just click the logo lower right in video).
My patches are kind of convoluted so outline of how SympleSEQ was used before each video.

Also note, 4 other modules from Flareless (Lower West Side Studio) in the case. thumbs up

Registry of Reflections

SympleSEQ 1:
CV modulates the attack of Noise Engineering - Basimilus Itiritas Magnus (BIM).
Gates control the melodic voice, as well as the flubby bass from Microcon module which switches between these gates and straight clock using CV controlling middle section of STG Switch.

SympleSEQ 2:
CV goes to STG Switch alternating its CV every 8 steps with that of Encore Electronics - Universal Event Generator in sequencer mode, which controls pitch of Corsynth C104 VCO.
Gates from SympleSEQ 2 trigger BIM as well as Analog Craftsman Gristleizer DLX gate input.

Q179 ENV++:
In pendulum sequencer mode controls pitch of Q176 LFO++ which plays against Corsynth C104 in the melodic voice.

Deep Tech

SympleSEQ 1:
CV controls the secondary sound that plays against the bass, and attack of Noise Engineering - Basimilus Itiritas Magnus (BIM).
Gate controls resonance of Q107A filter on the bass.

SympleSEQ 2:
CV controls the bass sound.
Gate fires once every 8 steps triggering channel A of Corsynth C106 Dual Loopable AD, and Encore Electronics - Universal Event Generator in one-shot mode.

Melodorous

Experiment using end-of-cycle gates from Corsynth C106 Dual Loopable AD in place of clocks.
I set both to loop, section A modulates section B's attack/decay times.
A's EOC gate acts as clock for SympleSEQ 1.
B's EOC gate acts as clock for SympleSEQ 2 and resets section A.
B triggers 4 times (2 fast, 2 slower) for ever step of A.
You can visually see which SympleSEQ is in control of which sounds.
Corsynth C106 - Watch the green lights upper left.
Some FM between VCOs.

JohnLRice
Precarious wrote:
Several examples here of SympleSEQ in action.
Good patching and performances, nice system tooz! thumbs up nanners SlayerBadger!
MrNezumi
Nice! I liked the first one the most. applause
Flareless
@Precarious - Wonderful! applause

Excellent use of multiple sequencers. Thanks for sharing thumbs up
Thalassa
Great patches!! thumbs up thumbs up
mome rath
Precarious wrote:

SympleSEQ 2:
CV goes to STG Switch alternating its CV every 8 steps with that of Encore Electronics - Universal Event Generator in sequencer mode, which controls pitch of Corsynth C104 VCO.
Gates from SympleSEQ 2 trigger BIM as well as Analog Craftsman Gristleizer DLX gate input.

like this one, crumchy

I used to have a quad sympleseq in 5U, then build a dual in euro... one of my first and favorite sequencers
Precarious
@JohnLRice
@MrNezumi
@Flareless
@Thalassa
@mome rath

Hey, thanks everyone! And thanks to @Flareless for the great modules.

Good news: Noise Engineering is using 3 of my videos, including the first 2 above, on the Basimilus Iteritas Magnus product page. That's exciting!
Precarious
Thalassa wrote:
Great patches!! thumbs up thumbs up

@Thalassa, are you Corsynth??? I just picked up my first of your modules, C104 and C106, and they are amazing! Love the look and build quality. You add the right features to make them as useful as possible.

Especially love C106! GREAT module! Changes the game for me. I love using looping ADs to create odd timings and modulation - tricks I learned using Buchla function generators - and C106 is amazing for that. All the right end-of-cycle triggers and time/shape modulation options I need. I made sure to show that in the videos because it's such a important part of my process.

Thanks for designing superior modules!
Thalassa
Yes I am Corsynth smile
I'm happy that you like the modules. Your videos are great examples of how to use the C106 in a creative way, well done thumbs up thumbs up

PS : Sorry @Flareless for hijacking your thread.
Precarious
Another example of odd timing into SymplSEQ.

Straight clock to one then CGS01 Sub Oscillator acting as a clock divider/gate mixer creating the odd cadence of the other. The odd combination of gates into SymplSEQ 2 creates a repeating 16-step pattern.

SymplSEQ 1 (straight clocked): sequencing the bass
Gate pattern: re-triggering looping channel A of C106

SymplSEQ 2 (odd timing): sequencing Basimilus Iteritas Magnus chime and Ataraxic Iteritas Magnus melodic sound
Gate pattern: to LFO sync so pulse width controls gate time, triggering ENV and BIM

Additional patch notes in video description.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 4