MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

STG users need a clock module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author STG users need a clock module
kindredlost
What choices are there for using the Time Buffer for us?

1. Buy/own a dinsync sequencer like the Mobius/ TR606 etc.. Have you priced these things lately? Ee-ek!

2. Buy/own an expensive clock like the Innerlock or Flameworks.

3. Jump through seven firey hoops with software and a DC coupled interface/soundcard.

4. Add divide-down modules to get the clocking. Of course there still has to be a dedicated oscillator/clock source. Expensive again.

---

How about a module that does all that in 1U? An internal clocking oscillator, dinsync and PWM outputs with selectable divisions. And of course (no, don't say it) a transport function for start/stop.

Do-able, or am I crazy? Too expensive in comparison still?

Oh, and it would be cool to have it in red sparkle paint job with gold switches. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

-David
essex sound lab
I attempted to commission a simple 19" master clock module for my studio.

I discussed it for awhile with a vendor that has been known to do custom work, but he doesn't have the cycles to put into it right now (no pun intended...).
Bryan B
You can make a Din Sync Clock Signal with a thin VCO pulse output and a start/stop signal with a switched 5vDC source. Bingo, Master Clock!

Parts needed: Midi Jack, Switch and 1 clock in jack.
nerdware
Kenton Pro Solo / Pro 2000?
suitandtieguy
we have a master clock module planned, it's a 2011 thing. sorry it had to come last but i think you can understand why i needed to do things in this order.
Just me
Encore Expressionist is a MIDI to DIN convertor.
kindredlost
Obviously I hadn't done enough homework on this one. Thanks for the suggestions guys. DIY? hell, I don't even understand FYI. Mr. Green

suitandtieguy wrote:
we have a master clock module planned, it's a 2011 thing. sorry it had to come last but i think you can understand why i needed to do things in this order.

This sounds encouraging. I may end up with a divider like the 554 first but heck that can still be used elsewhere or sold.
kindredlost
Bryan B wrote:
You can make a Din Sync Clock Signal with a thin VCO pulse output and a start/stop signal with a switched 5vDC source. Bingo, Master Clock!

That's sort of what I'm doing now except with several modules. I'd still need a way to divide down the sync24 pulse to something useful for the other sequencers.
suitandtieguy
The time divider will be ready soon. It got delayed because of a move to smt but it will happen this year.
jarvis
kenton pro solo mkII gives you midi to cv plus din sync. you can also configure aux 1 as a midi synced clock. it's not behind a modular panel, but it's cheaper than most any modular midi to cv converter and has more functions.
Bryan B
suitandtieguy wrote:
The time divider will be ready soon. It got delayed because of a move to smt but it will happen this year.

I really want this (and 3 more trigger mini stores)!!!
JohnLRice
Bryan B wrote:

didnt know this. would the moon midi2cv work for this trick? it has gate outputs for midi start/stop.
kindredlost
suitandtieguy wrote:

Yes, but does it divide the 24ppq into somthing useful for the rest of the sequencers like the Q960? I don't think I've ever seen a 1/24th on any dedicated divider.

--maybe apples & oranges, but...

The M554 has a neat way to do this with two stages which are already chained (I think). The price is pretty steep but it looks like a great overall tool for use throughout the system for someone with several sequencers.

-David
Bryan B
JohnLRice wrote:
Bryan B wrote:

didnt know this. would the moon midi2cv work for this trick? it has gate outputs for midi start/stop.

If it has 5vDC on when it runs and nothing when it stops, it should work very good for this.

Another fun thing about using a VCO as a master clock is that you have CV control over the tempo.
JohnLRice
Bryan B wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Bryan B wrote:

If it has 5vDC on when it runs and nothing when it stops, it should work very good for this.

hhhhmmm, probably not then. It's not a constant "on", it's just like a single pulse/trigger. Dandy for resetting sequencers and stuff . .
Bryan B
You could wire up a toggle switch and use the 5vDC rail to accomplish a start/stop signal.
det3
kindredlost wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

Yes, but does it divide the 24ppq into somthing useful for the rest of the sequencers like the Q960? I don't think I've ever seen a 1/24th on any dedicated divider.

You mean like this?

Now, keep in mind this is a VERY early diagram Suit came up with, and there will be changes to it, but it conveys the idea IMHO.

Another thing you can do is go to dinsync.com to get a dedicated MIDI to DIN converter, that's what I use for my testing and in operating my modular until I get a x0xb0x.
kindredlost
det3 wrote:
You mean like this?

Now, keep in mind this is a VERY early diagram Suit came up with, and there will be changes to it, but it conveys the idea IMHO.

Another thing you can do is go to dinsync.com to get a dedicated MIDI to DIN converter, that's what I use for my testing and in operating my modular until I get a x0xb0x.

Nice division with the multi-bar output (2 bars etc.)

Is this module picking up the clock from behind the panel like one of the other STG Seq modules? If so, then doesn't that still require a 24ppq clock into the system?

The link was a dead one. I guess the server is down. Way to go det3!
hihi
-David
essex sound lab
kindredlost wrote:

The link was a dead one. I guess the server is down.

For me, it loaded in FireFox but not Safari for some reason.

Nice inexpensive converter to know about!
doofa beena
Bryan B wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

I really want this (and 3 more trigger mini stores)!!!

ditto that
kindredlost
For now I just hadda' do it...

I got one of these coming in soon.

This will in no way replace the function of a good clock sync24 source but it won't go unused when I do get one some day.

I'm leaning toward the Kenton Pro Solo mkII because of price. The popularity of this device seems pretty big. Does anyone here have any good feedback one way or the other about it (in regard to the dinsync function). Is the timing tight and is it easy to use, etc..

Are there better midi/sync24 setups (besides the Pro 2000 mkII which is eccessive for my budget/purpose)? I'm not really interested (too much) in drum machines or sequencers in general. That is what the STG and dotcom sequencers are for. I just want the most efficient way to derive a sync24 clock to the STG modules and have it synchronized to midi or at least a gate/pulse/trigger out for the other hardware sequencers in my modular. I already have a midi/cv module in the Q104 dotcom so I could use the Kenton with that too.

-David
suitandtieguy
So did sync unit dc not work?
megaohm
kindredlost wrote:
DIY? hell, I don't even understand FYI. Mr. Green

FYI for those that DIY:

http://www.blacet.com/misc.html

top of the page.
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
For now I just hadda' do it...

I got one of these coming in soon.

oooohhhhhhhh, LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we're not worthy hyper hyper thumbs up
kindredlost
JohnLRice wrote:

oooohhhhhhhh, LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we're not worthy hyper hyper thumbs up

Not really. It was on eBay new from Noisebug.

You sound like Napoleon Dynamite. hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2