MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet modifications
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Blacet modifications
Babaluma
Cat-A-Tonic did the mod, I just helped, so hopefully he'll respond soon!

It REALLY opened up the versatility of the EG1, especially for slow/LFO type stuff, and I guess for rhythmic stuff too.
e-grad
Babaluma wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic did the mod, I just helped, so hopefully he'll respond soon!


I hope he'll chime in!
Cat-A-Tonic
e-grad wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
1 x Blacet EG1 with the following mods:
A) Separate three position switches on the Attack and Decay parameters, to give you Log., Lin., or Exp. curve responses


I just want to make sure that I've understand how the mod above is done:

Inverted out to the switch contact of the CV In jack = expotential; the normal out to the switch contact = log. An on/off/on switch inbetween the outs and the jacks allows to choose btn log, exp and lin?

Yes, exactly.

What would be even better in practice
is having a bipolar attenuator instead of a switch on the CV inputs of Attack and Decay.
(like Envelator, VCS) or this:
http://www.steamsynth.com/m_VCADSR.aspx

I chose on-off-on switches with consideration to available panel space.
This allows for quick selection of the extremes, but nothing in between.

Try patching the feedback through a Mixer/Processor or other polarizer/inverter to get a feel for it before doing the mod.

Patch the feedback through a VCA if you want voltage control of slope shape per segment.
e-grad
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Yes, exactly.

What would be even better in practice
is having a bipolar attenuator instead of a switch on the CV inputs of Attack and Decay.


Thanks! I think I'll go for the switch and patch a bipolar attentuator when needed. However, I'll give it a try before the mod as suggested by you.
e-grad
Sorry, if I'm asking the obvious.

Given I want a bipolar attentuator could this be achieved without any active parts just by adding one pot?

Assuming I wire the pot as follows: pin 1 to EG out; pin 3 to EG inv. out and the the wiper (pin 2) to the switch contact of the CV in jack. Would that work?
Cat-A-Tonic
One new idea to add about this...

If you play with the polarizer to find sweet spots in the slope shapes
you can make presets with the switches
by wiring resistors of the chosen value in the feedback path.
8_) Blacet
or you could use trimpots.


EG1 rules.
There is only one here, but it's here to stay.
It's brother was passed on to Mr. Nikmis.


Try playing the CVs on it (especially sustain)
with the a pressure controlled CV source of some sort.
Sequencing Envelope CVs is fun too.
e-grad
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
If you play with the polarizer to find sweet spots in the slope shapes you can make presets with the switches by wiring resistors of the chosen value in the feedback path.


woah

Great idea. However, I'm going to insert a pot a written above that should cover my needs.
Cat-A-Tonic
e-grad wrote:
Sorry, if I'm asking the obvious.

Given I want a bipolar attentuator could this be achieved without any active parts just by adding one pot?

Assuming I wire the pot as follows: pin 1 to EG out; pin 3 to EG inv. out and the the wiper (pin 2) to the switch contact of the CV in jack. Would that work?

I don't know if your knob wiring is correct or not,
but I think adding bipolar attenuators required a bit of extra circuitry.

However,
if you put the on-off-on switch to one side of a passive attenuator pot
you can have a full knob turn of control over the slope in one direction and still flip to an inversion on the fly.

This sort of interface does start to take up a bit of space,
but it's nice to have immediate interfaces especially for performance
and reduction of unnecessary patch cable clutter.
e-grad
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I don't know if your knob wiring is correct or not,
but I think adding bipolar attenuators required a bit of extra circuitry.


Just have made a quick test using alligator clips: Yes, it works. I guess, there's no extra circuitry needed since both outs and ins are already buffered.
Cat-A-Tonic
e-grad wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I don't know if your knob wiring is correct or not,
but I think adding bipolar attenuators required a bit of extra circuitry.


Just have made a quick test using alligator clips: Yes, it works. I guess, there's no extra circuitry needed since both outs and ins are already buffered.

Awesome.

I'm eager to see what you come up with for a panel solution.
e-grad
The orignal idea was one space Frac for 2 EG1s plus some extra outs for my Freq Div/FD2020. However, this might not work any longer due to the limited space.
vmgas
i want to add a switch to my blacet psu
i really hate having to reach down and flip a power strip
what switch do i need and where do i clip?
guhh h h thanx kids
fracmonkey
Modifying an AC power supply can be hazardous to your health.

I've actually attached a power strip to the side of the rack box so I don't have to bend over! Bending over is not the hard part; getting back up is... hihi
noisefor
vmgas wrote:
i want to add a switch to my blacet psu
i really hate having to reach down and flip a power strip
what switch do i need and where do i clip?
guhh h h thanx kids


unless you know what your doing with power i wouldn't mess... i use these (attached to my case):

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Power-Switch-F7C016q/dp/B007PVC1 2W/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337699608&sr=1-3
vmgas
im ok with messing
i used to work as an electrician so i i know how not to die
anyway im asking here because my friend who did so doesnt remember what he did when he made a switch for his
D/A A/D
The only "safe" way is to cut ground...
Cat-A-Tonic
Muff Wiggler wrote:

8 - I/O -
Again a PCB mounted dip switch, which could be replaced by panel-mounted switches (plural this time).
This one controls a few things, the presence of +5v aux power out the 1/4 jack,
the module's input impedance,
and the behaviour of the automatic AC/DC coupling detection.

All these functions are obscure enough to my own uses for this module that I will most likely not ever perform this mod.

I'm a madman.
Now my Blacet I/O has short bat switches wired up in a Frac ear to select its usage for driving foot pedals and FSRs.





Guinness ftw!
scozbor
that's awesome
SlayerBadger!
Norman_Phay
I've been thinking a bit recently about the octave socket on the VCO. I only ever use this by plugging the out from the mix/proc into it and using the bias knob as, in effect, an oct up/down switch. I do this quite often and have never used it in any other way that I can think of. I'm wondering wether to replace it with a switch or not, which would save patching for such a simple, yet often used function. Has anyone done this to theirs?
Babaluma
i only ever used to used mine in that exact same way too norman. a switch would be great for this, if you could tap a variable +/- voltage source from somewhere.

remember once trying to feed audio into it, but the results were not great sounding. might be good for "noise" though.
fracmonkey
I usually have it connected to the clock out of the Hex Zone. Since the clock out can be divided by 2, 4, 8 etc, this adds some interesting variety. If the sequence is an odd length then you get a more variable pattern.
Cat-A-Tonic
Thanks for the I/O props Scozbor.

fracmonkey wrote:
I usually have it connected to the clock out of the Hex Zone. Since the clock out can be divided by 2, 4, 8 etc, this adds some interesting variety. If the sequence is an odd length then you get a more variable pattern.

Same here with dividers/logic.
The octave jack is awesome for sequencing.
slow_riot
yeah octave VC is much more valuable to me than hand switching.

also great for LFO usage!
BananaPlug
Finally got around to this
1. Bananafication
2. Center column jacks top to bottom are /4, /8, /16
3. Switch duplicates the S1 and S2 of the internal LPF switch

In case you don't know this one, there's two things going on here. A big binary divider chain feeds to rotary switch. Switched output is available at the red Out jack in the left column and lights the LED. Then on the right you have different divisions and a mixer followed by a little LP filtering and output from the AC coupled black jack at the bottom left.





The filter switch effects are subtle. With an SPDT I can only get the first three out of four settings.

The divisions are tapped right off the big rotary switch. Those divisions seemed the most useful. I usually have a flip flop around for dividing by 2.

Long live Blacet modules! nanners
dJ dAb
Finally got around to building an expander (LEDs temporarily placed behind jacks for testing. Soon to be panel mounted)

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group