MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro power from 15v supply?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Euro power from 15v supply?
oozitron
Are there any circuits for obtaining 12v Euro power from a 15v supply?

I would like to use a Yarns in my 15v system, but would like to have just one power supply if possible...

thanks!
Drew
khakifridge
Look up 7812 and 7912 datasheets.
Morphology
Just buy a uZeus?
cygmu
If by 15V you mean you ave a +/-15V supply, then for the case of Yarns specifically it looks to me like it will just work. Everything inside the circuit is handled by voltage references, with the exception of the power supplies to the op amps, and those will be happy on +/-15V.

Obviously this applies to Yarns only -- other modules would have to be looked at individually, but on the whole the Mutable modules tend to be the kind of design so many of them will work unaltered.

And, fair warning, I have not tried this and could have missed something; but I'm pretty confident. The only issue I can see might be power dissipation in the voltage regulators. If they get too hot because of receiving too high an input voltage they could shut down. Hmmm.

EDIT: the Mutable Yarns page says the current draw on the +12V line is 60mA so the regulators are not handling much current at all, and the extra 3V is very unlikely to be an issue.
oozitron
I have a set of the big voltage regs (with the metal tab & screwhole). Can I just run the +/-15 volts (coming from the Blacet power supply) into those two regulators and then to the module?

Or would any other caps or resistors be needed?

Drew
nurbivore
oozitron wrote:
I have a set of the big voltage regs (with the metal tab & screwhole). Can I just run the +/-15 volts (coming from the Blacet power supply) into those two regulators and then to the module?

Or would any other caps or resistors be needed?

Drew

Usually a few other components will be required, or at least recommended. Read the datasheets for your regulators, they'll have some example schematics.
keninverse
I'd regulate down using a LM317T/337T for better line/load regulation and you just may want to add another 12V module somewhere down the line. Just follow the TI datasheet or buy a pcb on ebay. They're everywhere.
Jaytee
I’m confused why we’re still talking about external regulator circuits. Is cygmu’s analysis of Yarns not correct? Or are we just discussing the general case at this point?
oozitron
If it's safe to run Yarns on +/-15v then that would be great.

But I certainly don't want to fry it...!

I'm putting it in a case with four Oakley ASVs, a "Four Voice" clone SlayerBadger!

So one power supply for the whole thing would be wonderful.

Drew
BugBrand
I concur with cygmu.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1