MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 2019 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author The 2019 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
solaranus
After running out of place on my 84hp cardboard case, made a 6U 104hp case.

Things I learned from this experience:
-MDF is cheap, laser cutting it isn't.
-That first coat of stain was enough, don't over do it.
-If you are not happy with how it came out and decide to paint it, use acrylic paint.
-If you use Hammerite, it takes 2 weeks for its smell to neutralise.
-Making your own busboards is not worth it.
-With 3mm panels, 6mm screws are not long enough.
cackland
Made a 6 channel stereo mixer with dual line level inputs.

soup
I built a few of Thomas Henry's wonderful designs...

DSC
Finally finished this case including custom modules!
More info here:
http://millionmachinemarch.com/2019/05/16/when-does-a-eurorack-synthes izer-feel-like-an-instrument/

albinj
I finished my first module a while ago, a J3RK/Stroh Ultrafade on dotted veroboard.

I still have some trimming to do but it sounds amazing. I learned a lot by reading through the schematics and I have a couple of things that I will do differently for my next build, like mounting the boards on the pots/jacks instead of mounting it with wood and having to wire. I will also try to space the components closer next time, this build is a bit too spread out.

The faceplate design was done with toner transfer, black spray paint and Edding markers. I got a bit too eager when using the markers, so the writing is really bad in some places. The red splash of color around one of the jacks is also a product of this razz
OIP
^ that is fucking awesome

also the monster MS20-style convertible above is eek!

everything in this thread tbh
FetidEye
Another Bastle Kastle.
more DIY than ever with diy tower knobs and 2mm banana patchbay

more pictures:
https://www.reverselandfill.org/news/castle-kastle/
DSC
FetidEye wrote:
Another Bastle Kastle.
more DIY than ever with diy tower knobs and 2mm banana patchbay

more pictures:
https://www.reverselandfill.org/news/castle-kastle/

Knobs look great!
unauthorised-service
First and ONLY modular. Is six months intermediate skills from schematic to stripboard modules, failures etc acceptable ? Costs kept creeping up , even with free wood and panel aluminium . Approx £350/400. Im not gonna throw much more cash at it. Still saving vs full kits or prebuilt though .Couldnt afford it otherwise.
paperCUT
sduck wrote:
Another one finished...

Can I ask where you got the panel and pcb? I've spent hours trying to find someone selling the euro set but I just saw that there wont be another run of the Muffs version waah
sduck
The panel was from pusherman, the pcb was from a chinese guy whose name escapes me currently. Rob Hordijk only allows small runs of the pcbs on occassion, so these can be hard to find. If you have adequate skills, or want to develop them, all you need to know can be found on electro-music.com in the Rob Hordijk section.
paperCUT
I finally fixed the last few issues with this smile It's a conversion of the utterly fantastic RV600 and EM600 pedals. Each of the boards had their pots and jacks removed and a carrier board made for each (same board). Then using the multi row headers and the SMD jumpers each board get it's 'address' on the front panel board. The system worked really well but it proved to be practically impossible to removed the large electros so the headers had to extra long and crudely cut down waah Not skiff friendly!

djs
sduck wrote:
The panel was from pusherman,

@Sduck- where did you get the knobs from? Those are really sweet!
sduck
djs wrote:
sduck wrote:
The panel was from pusherman,

@Sduck- where did you get the knobs from? Those are really sweet!

Smallbear

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/aluminum-anodized-color s-1-2-diameter/
DSC
paperCUT wrote:
I finally fixed the last few issues with this smile It's a conversion of the utterly fantastic RV600 and EM600 pedals. Each of the boards had their pots and jacks removed and a carrier board made for each (same board). Then using the multi row headers and the SMD jumpers each board get it's 'address' on the front panel board. The system worked really well but it proved to be practically impossible to removed the large electros so the headers had to extra long and crudely cut down waah Not skiff friendly!

Awesome work!!!!
wiperactive
My first post in this section covers a recent project that was more a case of "make do and mend" combined with familiarisation and confidence building after being away from DIY projects for over 12 years. Prior to that a few relatively simple things had been built over the years. Way back in 2009 I'd opportunistically bought a couple of Paia kits and a few other second-hand items cheaply via eBay and then later on almost forgot about them... all a bit of a scatter gun approach though most of it was Frac compatible and I initially had a hazy plan in mind.

First out of the gate was an early Oakley Sound Issue 1, +/-15 V, DC, PSU. This was successfully completed, calibrated and on/off switch fitted into an old open frame Blacet Frac rack already housing a PSCONN2 distribution board. Mounting it onto an added rear aluminium panel seemed the best positioning option in a tight space.

Next came, a Paia 9720 Dual VCO with Modulator as this would test me a little more with lots of flying leads. I wanted to build this using all of the kit supplied parts only (including the thin wires and single turn trimmers), but ditched the kit's dark blue knobs using Davies type dark grey knobs instead as they met the aesthetic challenge of visually harmonising with the darker than usual grey panel lettering. This build, including oscillator calibration, went well requiring zero trouble shooting as I took it slowly, double checking every move.

A 9710 Triple VCA with Modulator was tackled after the 9720 because the seller had already made a start by arbitrarily mounting most of the resistors in the wrong positions necessitating desoldering and repair of PCB track damage here and there. This and some missing components made the build a bit more challenging. Again, this build once damage repaired, went without a hitch, though both modules did require an inward facing re-orientation of the lower pot lugs to fit between the slightly more restrictive Blacet rack's implementation of the front securing rails... this made for some tight access for the back panel wiring connections. The Paia Frac rack, for which they were intended, would have had a bit more mounting space clearance.

Before embarking on these, I trawled for as much up to date correction and component value change advice as possible. This made all the difference in achieving good results. I then followed-up with two much simpler to build later additions to the 9700 series kits - a 9754 Preamplifier and a 9756 Linear to Exponential converter/inverter. I also had a factory built Blacet 2090 Mini Wave (with an overlooked and versatile quantizer option) and a Blacet 2780 Splitter. Altogether enough to fill the Frac rack and fortuitously serve as a useful adjunct/expander to a slowly growing Eurorack system rather than a complete system in itself.

I'm particularly happy with the 9720 Dual VCOs which have a nice 'classic' analogue tone to them - rich, raw and fruity - almost as good tonally as my Analogue Systems RS-95e oscillators. It was impossible to get super accurate tracking over more than about 3 octaves but I elected to go for a calibration point which offered a wider, but still musically acceptable, 5 octaves plus of tracking with very slight unevenness within some octave spans. The single turn trimmers made optimum calibration tricky, but not impossible. Near perfect tracking beyond 3 to 4 octaves is known to be near impossible with this design without the implementation of some pretty involved mods. Still, not as bad as anticipated and overall I'm pleased with the results.

So now I'm ready to confidently engage with a large backlog of more recently acquired projects... a long overdue MFOS Ultimate+Expander (to be further expanded) is probably next to be followed by many Eurorack modules. I'd long forgotten that quiet contentment which comes when you build things... so long as it all goes to plan!
cackland
Wiperactive, those are some deeeeep modules. Ever thought about modularizing your modules with several pcbs?
wiperactive
cackland wrote:
Wiperactive, those are some deeeeep modules. Ever thought about modularizing your modules with several pcbs?

Well, the modules are 'deep' to some extent in both functionality and PCB depth... that VCA board avoids a couple of rear panel PSU fastening bolts by two millimetres.

To be honest, I don't understand your modularizing of modules with several pcbs suggestion hmmm..... Maybe you could enlighten me?
sduck
Maybe cackland doesn't realize that these are standard issue Paia module kits - and that's just the way they come. I tried to build some of those, way back in 2003 or so. They were the first kits I tried to build, to sort out how soldering stuff worked for electronic instruments. None of the paia ones i built worked. But it gave me enough of a foundation that when I tackled a MOTM kit after that, it worked perfectly, and still does.
cackland
Nope, didn’t realize that. Thanks for clarifying

I was just referrring to splitting up the PCBs into smaller component blocks
sebdvvv
I have build the Eurorack modular case from a nice vintage case and i have put removable hinges on it (this is extremely useful https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Charni%C3%A8re-%C3%A0-charni%C3%A8re-amovible- 76-x-51-x-4-mm/192723023193?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p205 7872.m2749.l2649)

Also made the Monotron eurorack version inside the case.

The effect unit next to it (with hand collage) is a MeatSphere (Auto Wah Filter from MusicPCB), it's been made out of a found Creative Subwoofer box.

appliancide
Just finished one of a pair of FS-1As that I have been working on. This one is for a customer. Mine still needs to be wired.

J3RK
appliancide wrote:
Just finished one of a pair of FS-1As that I have been working on. This one is for a customer. Mine still needs to be wired.

Gorgeous!
wiperactive
That's a really elegant presentation... so many beautifully customised projects in this thread... I've a long way to go!
dhaillant
jochem wrote:
I've recently built two modules, designed by David Haillant. Both are adaptations of Music from outer space: the Weird sound generator and the Sound lab mini system.

Nice job thumbs up w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 10 of 14