Any 5U showing at NAMM 2019?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

User avatar
synthetic
TASCAM Hero!
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
Contact:

Any 5U showing at NAMM 2019?

Post by synthetic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm

I assume Moog might have some, and the Moog Foundation announced they’ll have some vintage systems. Is anyone like Moon, COTK, MOS-LAB, Synth-Werk, etc. making it to NAMM? I’d like to check out some big stuff. Considering a MU system again.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately Moon and COTK aren't going to have a booth this year at NAMM and NoiseBug isn't either. I haven't heard anything about MOS-LAB or Synth-Werk but I've never know them to go to NAMM.

Probably the only 5U to see besides the Moog stuff will be at STG's booth and Noise Engineering might have a couple modules to show:
Image

If you aren't normally in the LA Area, while you are in town you could give NoiseBug a call to see if they will be open? They have lots of large format gear in the store! :tu:
https://www.noisebug.net/


And, if you are going to SynthPlex at the end of March in Burbank Noisebug is going to have a big booth there are will likely be focusing on 5U and Buchla formats.

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6269
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately.....
Boo! Pffft ... well that's a suck.

:sadbanana:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

User avatar
synthetic
TASCAM Hero!
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
Contact:

Post by synthetic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Probably the only 5U to see besides the Moog stuff will be at STG's booth and Noise Engineering might have a couple modules to show:
Image
Cool, I'll check those out.
If you aren't normally in the LA Area, while you are in town you could give NoiseBug a call to see if they will be open? They have lots of large format gear in the store! :tu:
https://www.noisebug.net/
I am in the LA area but Pomona ≠ LA. I'll check it out sometime.
And, if you are going to SynthPlex at the end of March in Burbank Noisebug is going to have a big booth there are will likely be focusing on 5U and Buchla formats.
I hadn't planned but I might check it out, thanks.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:00 am

synthetic wrote:I am in the LA area but Pomona ≠ LA. I'll check it out sometime.
:hihi: Yeah, for someone who lives in LA, Pomona is like an hours drive away on average? I was thinking that for someone who might be coming to NAMM from the other side of the country etc that Pomona would be relatively close if they wanted to see a lot of 5U. 8-)

synthetic wrote:
And, if you are going to SynthPlex at the end of March in Burbank Noisebug is going to have a big booth there are will likely be focusing on 5U and Buchla formats.
I hadn't planned but I might check it out, thanks.
Here's a link for anyone interested in SynthPlex. I just confirmed this week that I'll be going and working the NoiseBug booth. :party:
https://www.synthplex.com/

User avatar
synthetic
TASCAM Hero!
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
Contact:

Post by synthetic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm

More like 2 hours, more from Anaheim depending on time of day. This is Los Angeles.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

synthetic wrote:More like 2 hours, more from Anaheim depending on time of day. This is Los Angeles.
Ahh, OK, thanks! :tu: I'm not from there and the only time I've made the drive is like somewhere between 8 and 11 PM on Sunday night after NAMM, and I was just riding so, it seemed like an hour or so. :oops:

User avatar
hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 pm
Location: Southern California, USA

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm

synthetic wrote:More like 2 hours, more from Anaheim depending on time of day. This is Los Angeles.
Looking at the CalTrans map right now (1:30pm), I could make it from Anaheim to Noisebug in less than an hour. But the closer you get to rush hour* the more your travel time begins to increase exponentially.

Driving is always a crapshoot here — That's part of L.A.'s charm. :bang:

*In reality, "rush hour" is the 3 hours between 7am and 10am and the 4 hours between 4pm and 8pm.

User avatar
hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 pm
Location: Southern California, USA

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Here's a link for anyone interested in SynthPlex. I just confirmed this week that I'll be going and working the NoiseBug booth. :party:
https://www.synthplex.com/
John: I wasn't sure if I was going to go to Synthplex, but now that I know you'll be there I'll definitely stop by to say "hi"!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:Here's a link for anyone interested in SynthPlex. I just confirmed this week that I'll be going and working the NoiseBug booth. :party:
https://www.synthplex.com/
John: I wasn't sure if I was going to go to Synthplex, but now that I know you'll be there I'll definitely stop by to say "hi"!
Sweet, it will be good to meet you! :cloud:

User avatar
kcd06
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 4:22 pm
Location: REDACTED

Post by kcd06 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm

In Arizona or Las Vegas, "its a dry heat" that makes you miserable. In LA, its not the distance you have to travel, but the number of freeways you have to use--and if any of them are the 10, 410 or 5, just dont bother.

That said, visiting Noisebug in old Pomona (look for the repurposed Brutalist bank building/nuclear bunker) might be preferable to dealing with foot and vehicular traffic near the downtown area regardless of how many mfg are at NAMM. Certainly quieter.

User avatar
diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2245
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Post by diophantine » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Don't forget the 405! So named because you'l be driving "4 Or 5" miles an hour...

SynthPlex looks interesting; I put it on my calendar and will take a closer look when I get paid next week. ;-)

And if you go to NoiseBug, grab lunch at El Buen Gusto a few blocks away - amazing pupusas!

User avatar
synthetic
TASCAM Hero!
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
Contact:

Post by synthetic » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 am

If anyone goes to Noisebug, take a picture of all the toys :party:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:49 am

synthetic wrote:If anyone goes to Noisebug, take a picture of all the toys :party:
Have you seen this recent walk through video? 8-) 5U appears at about 14:30
[video][/video]

User avatar
synthetic
TASCAM Hero!
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
Contact:

Post by synthetic » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:02 pm

John was indeed at Synthplex! Good to meet you IRL

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:08 pm

synthetic wrote:John was indeed at Synthplex! Good to meet you IRL
Likewise! :sb:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:21 am

Just an FYI: people who were at SynthPlex in 2019 most likely saw the huge COTK system there, which is owned by a studio in the greater LA area. I was shocked just now to notice that it's for sale on Reverb. :eek: I don't know why they are selling it and at first glance the price seemed a bit high but, considering all the beautifully done customization (cabinets locked into huge sturdy rolling frames with integrated lights etc), the waiting time to get a system that large from COTK, and the fact that when compared to the Moog Keith Emerson tribute modular (which I personally think was over priced :hide: ) it's about twice as big and probably 4 to 10 times more powerful but only about 70% the cost, it seems more reasonable? It would certainly take some deep pockets to snatch it up though. Here's a couple pictures I took at SynthPlex. Also a video of my friend Pedro Eustache controlling it with his Lyricon.
Image

Image

[video][/video]

User avatar
ba1
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:34 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ba1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:03 pm

What about 5U at Knobcon?

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 13234
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Post by sduck » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:12 pm

I'm going, but I'm not trotting out the large MOTM this time. I might bring a small euro box for hotel room time wasting. I asked paults if he was interested in having my MOTM in his booth, but he doesn't have room.

User avatar
burdij
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: Wisconsin US

Post by burdij » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:59 pm

I will have at least two small 5U systems at Knobcon. At this point, I am not sure if I will be bringing the big 88MU system. Our booth this year is a bit smaller and I have three Eurorack systems this time :hide: . My big push is a new multichannel MIDI/CV module but at this point, even though the two modules are basically the same circuit, the Eurorack version will be the only one ready by show time. There will be some other 5U surprises though.

I am hoping to have some through zero FM/PM DCO modules ready for door prizes at the banquet in honor of the guest speaker, Dr. Chowning, too.
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

User avatar
sbuge
Common Wiggler
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 am
Location: Finland

Post by sbuge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 am

burdij wrote:I will have at least two small 5U systems at Knobcon. At this point, I am not sure if I will be bringing the big 88MU system. Our booth this year is a bit smaller and I have three Eurorack systems this time :hide: . My big push is a new multichannel MIDI/CV module but at this point, even though the two modules are basically the same circuit, the Eurorack version will be the only one ready by show time. There will be some other 5U surprises though.

I am hoping to have some through zero FM/PM DCO modules ready for door prizes at the banquet in honor of the guest speaker, Dr. Chowning, too.
Is GMS-715 ready to order :bananaguitar:
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x
paitapes.bandcamp.com
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x

User avatar
kindredlost
5U skiff friendly
Posts: 5518
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:45 pm
Location: Texoma

Post by kindredlost » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 am

Someone needs to start a Knobcon 2019 discussion here in 5U Format Modules section. News is going to be lost in this thread about NAMM. I bet there already is one somewhere in MWF but for us 5Users, we might need one here.

I've been wanting to attend but getting away is almost impossible due to overloaded work schedule. :waah: I haven't had a day off in years. :deadbanana:

User avatar
synthetic
TASCAM Hero!
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
Contact:

Re: Any 5U showing at NAMM 2019?

Post by synthetic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Hey NAMM 2020 is coming but it looks like even less 5U this year. Moog doesn't even have a booth. Anyone showing anything? Or are Synthplex, Knobcon, and Superbooth the only places to hear this stuff anymore?

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1860
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Re: Any 5U showing at NAMM 2019?

Post by dslocum » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:12 pm

synthetic wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:45 pm
Hey NAMM 2020 is coming but it looks like even less 5U this year. Moog doesn't even have a booth. Anyone showing anything? Or are Synthplex, Knobcon, and Superbooth the only places to hear this stuff anymore?
The way I'm seeing this right now is:

Don't get me wrong - NAMM is very cool, but I don't think it is/was the best venue for the modular market - at least the 5U market. Synthplex, Knobcon, and Superbooth are catering to the modular market, and I hope and trust that that momentum will continue to flourish.

I'd be interested in peoples opinions about this. And how might this be different in Euro-land?
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

User avatar
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Posts: 4396
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Re: Any 5U showing at NAMM 2019?

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:30 pm

dslocum wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:12 pm
synthetic wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:45 pm
Hey NAMM 2020 is coming but it looks like even less 5U this year. Moog doesn't even have a booth. Anyone showing anything? Or are Synthplex, Knobcon, and Superbooth the only places to hear this stuff anymore?
The way I'm seeing this right now is:

Don't get me wrong - NAMM is very cool, but I don't think it is/was the best venue for the modular market - at least the 5U market. Synthplex, Knobcon, and Superbooth are catering to the modular market, and I hope and trust that that momentum will continue to flourish.

I'd be interested in peoples opinions about this. And how might this be different in Euro-land?
I've never been to NAMM in any shape or form, but I've watched enough coverage over the years to question why anyone other than the Japanese Big Three (and maybe Sequential and Moog) would bother when it comes to synths. Competing for space and volume against Gibson, Zildjian, Fender, or DW sounds like hell on Earth.

Superbooth is loud, but it's not obnoxiously so. Four fifths of the exhibitors are offering modular gear (and the remainder are displaying equipment that plays well with it).

Post Reply

Return to “5U Format Modules”