MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet EG1 - Cool Trix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Blacet EG1 - Cool Trix
Muff Wiggler
Some neat things (beyond all the blatently obvious) you can do with the awesome Blacet EG1 -

1 - Use it as a slew processor/limiter - Here's how you do it:

- Use ADSR mode.

- Patch the voltage that you want to be slewed into the sustain_cv input.

- Hold the gate input high. After the initial Attack phase, the ouput slews to the Sustain level at a rate determined by the Decay pot/CV.

- If you change the sustain setting (the input in this case) the output will slew to it, up or down. The Sustain pot will add an offest to this voltage. Also, you can adjust the shape of this slew curve, by adjusting the RT1 trimpot on the PCB.

- If you are slewling kayboard voltage, make sure that you set the Sustain and Output both at their max,

Also realize that by feeding the Decay a voltage, you have 'voltage controlled' slew! So you can do things like have more slew on higher notes, or have an LFO or another EG changing the slew amount....

2 - Use it as a fixed voltage generator - Similar to the biased output on the Mixer/Pro or the Bananalogue 3P, you can simply dial in a fixed voltage - really handy for selecting different octaves out of a Blacet VCO for example! Simply set the module on AD mode, and then use the Sustain knob to set the level of output voltage! simple

3 - Exponential ADSR Phases - Just patch the inv_out jack into the cv_in for any of the A,D,S or R phases, and this will give the effect of an exponential response for that phase.

I usually patch the inv_out jack back into the decay_cv_in jack, this gives an exponential response to the decay phase. the decay phase is the one phase in the ADSR cycle that the ear responds most strongly to, so this causes the entire envelope to 'feel' more exponential and 'snappy'. The decay knob setting itself gives you a lot of control over how much of this effect is balanced with a natural decay. Anyway I like it enough that I wired the inv-out jack directly to the decay-cv-in jack, through a panel mounted switch to turn it on and off. now I can use this without wasting a cable, and i can still use the inv out jack for something else.
consumed
muff, thank you! i am looking for information just like this.
Muff Wiggler
no problem, i figured it would be useful

also there's a bunch of really cool mods for the EG1, check the Blacet mods thread 8)
zerosum
This thread rocks too!!! grin
Muff Wiggler
i didn't mention this one, as it's labelled right on the panel, but then it occured to me that maybe i should mention it anyway

you can use it as an LFO with the switch in the 'AD' position and the sustain knob all the way down to zero (where the 'LFO' label is)
Muff Wiggler
it'll also work as a kind of gate/trigger delay if you perform the EOC-Pulse mod
J.w.M.
Excellent. My kit's in the mail, so I'm really (and I do mean really) looking forward to trying some of these tricks out once I build it. Thanks for the info...
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Some neat things (beyond all the blatently obvious) you can do with the awesome Blacet EG1 -

1 - Use it as a slew processor/limiter - Here's how you do it:

- Use ADSR mode.

- Patch the voltage that you want to be slewed into the sustain_cv input.

- Hold the gate input high. After the initial Attack phase, the ouput slews to the Sustain level at a rate determined by the Decay pot/CV.

- If you change the sustain setting (the input in this case) the output will slew to it, up or down. The Sustain pot will add an offest to this voltage. Also, you can adjust the shape of this slew curve, by adjusting the RT1 trimpot on the PCB.

- If you are slewling kayboard voltage, make sure that you set the Sustain and Output both at their max,

Also realize that by feeding the Decay a voltage, you have 'voltage controlled' slew! So you can do things like have more slew on higher notes, or have an LFO or another EG changing the slew amount....

can you make a quick patch diagram of this? i can't really understand it.

for instance, for keyboard pitch voltage, are you patching the EG into the cv of the VCO at some point? confused. hmmm.....
Muff Wiggler
i'll try to cook up a graphic for you today

but, yeah - if you want to slew keyboard voltage, the keyboard's pitch CV (probably out of your midi-cv converter) goes to the EG1's Sustain CV in

Take the output of the EG1, and then send it to the v/Oct input of your VCO

follow the other instructions.. and you should be goin'
Kwote
cool. i won't be playing the keys much longer as i'm selling my MCV4 but i'm gonna mess with that tonight.

now that i'm gonna be leaning more heavily on sequencing i'll be interested in trying this patch in a sequence application.

thanks Muff!
Liquidcolor
Multing the gate outputs of an analog sequencer to the decay input gives per step portamento akin to the TB-303.

Just added this tip to the Blacet Wiki:

http://wikihost.org/wikis/blacet/wiki/start

Looks like there's some cobwebs there.
Muff Wiggler
heh the Blacet wiki, wow! eek! That thing has been dormant for 2 years. No-one seemed interested at ALL, so I pretty much threw in the towel on that and ended up putting up a lot of the same content up here at the forum, where it's seemed to generate quite a lot more interest....

that's a freakin' AWESOME tip about putting the sequencer gate outs into the EG1 to slew them... I probably would have never ever thought of that one, shit. thanks!
Muff Wiggler
Hey Kwote, did you get the EG1 slew patch up and running or do you still want me to make some kind of diagram?

cheers
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Hey Kwote, did you get the EG1 slew patch up and running or do you still want me to make some kind of diagram?

cheers

i actually tried it already and didn't realize it. just a language barrier. when i read input the voltage you want to slew into the sustain, i kept thinking i'd have to find a way to mult out the pitch cv to the sustain and the VCO, which of course didn't work.

i did some other weird things too and somewhere in all of that i did do the patch. i just didn't stick with it long enough to believe it was happening. haha.

but yeah i just figured whatever comes out of the EG is irrelevant to what goes in as far as pitch was concerned so total confusement abounded.

long reply short, no graphic necessary. thanks man.
Kwote
okay. label me tarded. i tried again before i kiss the MCV4 goodbye. it slews but then it ain't sounding all that musical cuz the eg is throwin the pitch so high from where it starts.

guess it's time to plug in the VCS. heh.
Kwote
Kwote wrote:
okay. label me tarded. i tried again before i kiss the MCV4 goodbye. it slews but then it ain't sounding all that musical cuz the eg is throwin the pitch so high from where it starts.

guess it's time to plug in the VCS. heh.

the VCS rules for slew. of course it should!!

but anyways, i gave the EG1 patch one last shot. but i did things a little different. pitch into decay cv. EG in AD mode. sustain FCCW. Decay about 8 o'clock. nice slew!

alright nuff of this very frustrating breathing deep. thinkin happy thoughts.
Muff Wiggler
Sweet! Glad you got it sorted - sorry I haven't got back to this thread - been tied up in Fresno this week - damn its hot here :(

Got some time to post now on account of being a total idiot. Its 5am and I've been at the airport for the last 45mins - somehow my alarm went off 3 hours too early, and on autopilot I got dressed and went to the airport. Got my boarding pass, looked at the time to figure out how long 'till boarding and it just didn't compute. My brain shut down for a minute before realizing what I had done. Goddamn I'm an idiot. I should be asleep right now and REALLY could use that sleep.

The sad thing is that this is not the first time I have done this. The fact that my hotel wake-up call didn't come should have clued me in. Nope.

Damn I am stupid sometimes.
consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:
The sad thing is that this is not the first time I have done this. The fact that my hotel wake-up call didn't come should have clued me in. Nope.

well, sometimes you just cant trust the wake-up call. what if they forget? lol
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Sweet! Glad you got it sorted - sorry I haven't got back to this thread - been tied up in Fresno this week - damn its hot here :(

Got some time to post now on account of being a total idiot. Its 5am and I've been at the airport for the last 45mins - somehow my alarm went off 3 hours too early, and on autopilot I got dressed and went to the airport. Got my boarding pass, looked at the time to figure out how long 'till boarding and it just didn't compute. My brain shut down for a minute before realizing what I had done. Goddamn I'm an idiot. I should be asleep right now and REALLY could use that sleep.

Damn I am stupid sometimes.

i was just wondering about your Fresno trip. how'd it go? did you make it to Carl's Jr. or Winchell's donuts? last time i was there they were overloaded with em.
Muff Wiggler
Fresno was good - long long trip (man it's way shorter for me to go to the UK) and tiring but good.

I didn't get anywhere at all except for my hotel and the Pelco campus. Oh yeah, I saw the airport as well 8)

Slowly making my way home now. Sitting in Denver's airport killing time 'till my next connection.
Muff Wiggler
consumed wrote:
well, sometimes you just cant trust the wake-up call. what if they forget? lol

that's just it - you CANNOT count on the wakeup call, very often they just don't come. I use the hotel's clock radio AND my Blackberry as backup alarms.

I must have messed up the clock radio somehow, because that's what woke me up at 4:20 instead of 6:20. On the way out of the hotel, I actually considered letting the front desk know that I didn't receive my wakeup call, but I was so zombied-out and sleepy I couldn't be bothered. If I had I would have gotten the clue-in and could have gone back to bed!

The worst for all that stuff was when I was in India. The hotels there do not have clockradios, AND while they will accept your request for a wake-up call, they won't actually deliver it. I was in three seperate, high-class hotels in Mumbai and Bangalore, and it was the same deal in all of them - no clock, no wakeup call. Had to rely on my blackberry.

It was also really tough to get replacement toilet paper there. Your room comes with the smallest possible roll, about good for one dump (and that's assuming you haven't gotten bowel sickness from the food - in which case there's not enough toilet paper in the WORLD for you). When you ask for more, they get totally confused. The best I could get was a small pack of kleenex lol

You do figure out pretty fast why all the toilets there include a small plastic bucket and a wall mounted tap. If you don't follow, I'll drop a hint and say that it's related to the fact that they don't normally shake hands lol

I loved it over there though, and can't wait to go back.
Kwote
lol. so basically they wipe their ass with their own hand. no paper required. hihi hihi hihi

how economical.
Cat-A-Tonic
Do they have soap? How about driers?

In Japan most of the public toilets (even in nice high-class looking buildings) don't have soap or a drier/towels!!! confused
Some do, but it is the luck of the draw.
Alot of people just carry little handkerchiefs to whipe their hands, and a few years ago I was told that it was popular to carry a packet of little paper-like sheets that turned into soap when you got them wet.

If this were an attempt at ecology it might be admirable, but they have disposable chopsticks everywhere that call into question their sincerity.
Roycie Roller
Just dragging up this old thread in case anyone's interested- I'm also repeating a post i made in D/A A/D's thread here for EG1 user's who didn't read it.
One way to get audio out of the EG1 without any inputs is by patching a cable from the INV OUTPUT jack into the GATE input. You will then hear audio at the OUTPUT jack. Adjust A, D, S & R & Time Base pots for different speeds and shapes.
ndkent
Related to it's slew limiter use, if a sustain input CV is amped up to an acceptable modular level I'd think you are getting something closer to an envelope follower.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a "proper" slew limiter work bipolar?

To lazy to check it out but I wouldn't think a negative voltage input into the sustain input would make the the output sustain stage go below 0v (not counting the +/- output level adjustment set to negative). I'd think it just offsets the sustain knob's value until it's at the 0v minimum.

Conversely this behavior should give you a "proper" envelope follower done as described.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3