MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OG MOTM DIY 15 years later
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author OG MOTM DIY 15 years later
maxl0rd
We're frozen over this long weekend in New England, so I am going through and fixing a bunch of stuff that I have put off.

I built a big MOTM system about 15 years ago during the first wave. A friend of mine who was hip to building synths told me to plan for the future and buy lots of spares and put a kit away for when it starts aging and needs repairs and all the parts are EOL. I took her advice and stuffed a box with jacks and pots and spares and whatnot. I just pulled this box out of storage and went through it. It's full of switchcraft jacks, spectrol pots, extra knobs, EXTRA MODULES and whatnot. There is even a fully assembled spare 300 oscillator in case one of the other 4 died!

However in the past fifteen years: No pots failed. No jacks failed. No oscillators died. There isn't even an LED out.

My only complaint is that the transformer in one of the Power One modules has developed a buzz that is loud enough to be annoying so I'm going to replace it with a new one.

Not bad.

I'm not sure Paul gets proper credit for the quality and attention to detail that went into the original MOTM designs.

Stay warm.
JohnLRice
thumbs up
sduck
All my MOTM stuff from that era is also still working flawlessly. Great designs!
unrecordings
Same here.

I even remember a time maybe about 10 years ago when due to work, the poor thing didn't even get switched on for nearly a year. The four VCOs were still in tune when I finally came back to it

That was why I paid the premium for MOTM

(edited 25th Jan for typo)
cornutt
I've got about 20 MOTM modules, most of them assembled by me. The only repair I've ever had to make was replacing a pot that became scratchy. That was an infant-mortality years ago, and I don't recall now which module it was.
kindredlost
You could use the MOTM panels as bowling lane pin gates and there wouldn't be a dent. Sturdy stuff.
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
You could use the MOTM panels as bowling lane pin gates and there wouldn't be a dent. Sturdy stuff.
thumbs up In the event of a fire fight, get behind the MOTM modular because those thin MU panels wouldn't even stop a 22 caliber slug. Mr. Green
hsosdrum
JohnLRice wrote:
In the event of a fire fight, get behind the MOTM modular because those thin MU panels wouldn't even stop a 22 caliber slug. Mr. Green

In the event of a fire fight I'm getting behind Rex Coil 7! I have a hunch he's corralled some serious ordnance over there in Arizona. Sniper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1