MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noise Engineering 2019 Modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Noise Engineering 2019 Modules
cg_funk
Wow this CIP sounds sooo cool! I can't wait to try it out in person.

Thanks for explaining how the internal envelopes are working over a wider range than the external ones.

So, I tried patching up a similar "master blaster" to my BIA, and it used basically ALL of the attenuvertors and half of the VCAs on my rack. For inputs to the BIA I had to offset and rescale my envelopes using 2 more VCAs (basically like how you were saying about that ducking CV). Wow is that a fun patch! Everything gets modulated all the time this way, it's awesome. I want a giant BIA module that has all that built in now.

In this configuration the "master" knob indeed does a lot sonically.
Also, getting a CIP would free up again all my attenuvertors and VCAs... ha ha.
Hovercraft
The next distortion module appears--Kith Ruina. Combination overdrive and three band EQ--functions are normalled, but can also be used separately. Less aggressive sounding than Terci, as per poorness--my spy @ synthplex.

NoLegs
Yeah, I saw another module on Instagram - Vox Digitalis. Some sort of sequencer or maybe quantizer?
versipellis
I just noticed that the CIP ditches the pot from the CI for an encoder like on the Manis. That's probably why the octave switch was dropped.

To me, this makes it suboptimal as a melody/bass module for live performance and is one of the big reasons I sold my Manis - bumping the tuning knob leads to enough hand-induced drift that I can't afford a tuner module to retune live, especially with how big the CIP already is compared to the CI (if you don't expect to use every single modulation option). It really does seem like this was designed for atonal type sounds like percussion and.. Well.. Noise :p
Sync
mdoudoroff wrote:
I’m a little sad to see the Variatic Erumption discontinued. It would benefit from a redesign—no need for its own clock, and both sides should be separately clockable—but otherwise what it does it does very well, and I’m not aware of anything else out there that really does what it does. I use mine frequently.

Just saw this-- I would agree it could use a redesign. I was a bit disappointed in it, primarily due to the canned burst sequences it uses. I also have the Befaco Burst and it's speed-up/slow-down burst abilities I find far more interesting-- and in fact, it was that module that inspired me to get the Variatic-- as I was recognizing the value of burst streams and was looking for more options.

Not that the Variatic is useless, I use it and am keeping it for now at least, but yeah, I wish it was a little more flexible, or maybe just easier to use the features it does have.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is the best way to trigger a burst in the context of a larger sequence, like when using a burst to be a fill that occurs on certain points in a sequence-- a smarter burst generator able to accept a sequencer clock and merge it with the burst, and also provide some way to select which incoming clock events should trigger the burst. Sure, I could use a separate trigger track to fire it, but such tracks can be in short supply and even in that case the desire to merge the trigger stream and burst into one still exists and would be nice if it didn't need additional external functions to accomplish.

An example of this sort of thing can be seen with the Knit Rider trigger sequencer. It'll do a 64 length sequence but it's divided in to 16 where each of the 16 has 4 sub-sequences. I've found the ability to treat these sub sequences as mini-bursts for flams, fills or other accents is really great. It's actually just the interface of the main vs sub-sequence triggers that does this, otherwise it's just a 64 step sequencer-- but the UI made it interesting and easy to insert extra triggers here and there between the primary notes.

So using the Knit Rider got me thinking about ways to use a burst generator as that between-primary-steps sequencing, but that could also provide some ability to CV the sub sequence independent of the primary sequence and other manipulations. And it can all be done, but it's not as convenient as it could be-- the ability to merge the burst pattern with a trigger sequence can be handled with an external mixer or logic or by just patching outputs together (something I don't really like to do), but having that ability built into a burst generator along with the ability to identify a subset of primary triggers that will fire a burst would be awesome.

The Befaco Burst can sort of do this with it's ability to randomize whether a burst fires when triggered or not-- adding some variation in when the trigger occurs and how often, albeit randomly. And that's interesting but better control where I could say, only fire the burst on every 8th trigger for example (with a built in clock divider), or even more powerful-- to be able to somehow specify that the burst should fire on the 1st, 5th and 12th trigger out of 16 or something like that. I'm not sure what the UI should be for that, but I think it could be worth thinking about. Essentially, thinking of a burst generator as a sequencer-enhancer or something that can take a simple fixed clock and make a more sophisticated trigger sequencer out of it by inserting bursts at key points.

So certainly the Variatic could use some more thought to make it easier to use-- maybe others have recognized that too and NE is working on something?
base615
I am absolutely loving Sinc Bucina. Feeding it both pings and gates is my new favourite thing in modular. Best 4HP I've used in a while.
radin
The tuning knob on the CIP is set to fine. For course adjustment you need to push the knob in and turn so a bump to the tuning knob will not knock it out of tune.

versipellis wrote:
I just noticed that the CIP ditches the pot from the CI for an encoder like on the Manis. That's probably why the octave switch was dropped.

To me, this makes it suboptimal as a melody/bass module for live performance and is one of the big reasons I sold my Manis - bumping the tuning knob leads to enough hand-induced drift that I can't afford a tuner module to retune live, especially with how big the CIP already is compared to the CI (if you don't expect to use every single modulation option). It really does seem like this was designed for atonal type sounds like percussion and.. Well.. Noise :p
lordymosh
Does anyone know where I can get a Terci Ruina in Europe? I checked the sites on the modular grid page but its not in any of them.
NoLegs
Quick patch with the Sinc Bucina. Running an Erica Synths Fusion VCO2 into it.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2