MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New SW905 Reverberation Synth-Werk
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author New SW905 Reverberation Synth-Werk
ualslosar
Gerhard just announced that he's added an SW905 reverberation unit to his offerings in MU.

It's offered with selectable (at the back) "regular" mode & an "Emerson" mode which changes the operating characteristics (a neat mod).

I'm going add one of these to my system, for sure.

Regards
Larry
EPTC
Nice!

So it's a spring! https://modularsynthesis.com/moog/905/905.htm

A lot of the Moog reissues refer to specific historic sound qualities, does the 905 add any color to the tone before reverberating? Wonder how this compares to the Dotcom Q115. https://synthesizers.com/q115.html

(My personal favorite spring reverb is the Metasonix R56, especially with a dual tank, but I love a bunch of them)
robotmakers
I thought I'd seen the instructions for performing the mod to get the "Emerson mode" somewhere on Muff's, but I can't find it. The standard 905 does a sort of cross-fade as you turn the knob, starting at full dry, moving to a mix of dry and wet signal, and finally to full wet with the knob fully clockwise. One of the issues with this is that the wet signal is a bit quieter than the dry, and so the whole signal level goes down as you turn the knob. The "Emerson mode" simply keeps the full dry signal in the output all the time and just adds the wet as you turn the knob clockwise. At full clockwise, it's the full dry signal plus the full wet signal.

Would love to modify one of my 905's to do this. Does the edit (in green in the attached schematic) do the trick? The schematic is from the modularsynthesis website in the previous post.

Thanks,
Roger
JohnLRice
robotmakers wrote:
I thought I'd seen the instructions for performing the mod to get the "Emerson mode" somewhere on Muff's, but I can't find it. The standard 905 does a sort of cross-fade as you turn the knob, starting at full dry, moving to a mix of dry and wet signal, and finally to full wet with the knob fully clockwise. One of the issues with this is that the wet signal is a bit quieter than the dry, and so the whole signal level goes down as you turn the knob. The "Emerson mode" simply keeps the full dry signal in the output all the time and just adds the wet as you turn the knob clockwise. At full clockwise, it's the full dry signal plus the full wet signal.

Would love to modify one of my 905's to do this. Does the edit (in green in the attached schematic) do the trick? The schematic is from the modularsynthesis website in the previous post.

Thanks,
Roger
Looks reasonable to me but I'm no expert in circuit design. My only concern would be that the final output circuit might distort with 100% dry and 100% wet at the same time? hmmm..... Might sound good if it does distort though! hihi

Since I'm prone to drilling holes in panels to add switches, even if it degrades the look or devalues the module (hides) oops I would add a center off SPDT switch to the panel so I could select "normal/original" operation, 100% dry all the time, or 0% dry all the time. You could temporarily wire all of this behind the panel to see if it works and if you like it enough to commit to a front panel switch, or I suppose you could permanently mount the switch (or a PCB with jumpers etc) behind the panel to occasional change the functionality? Should be easy enough to just detach the pot's wiper wire and then attach a new wire to the wiper lug and another new wire to the signal side lug and connect all three to the switch?

robotmakers
JohnLRice wrote:
Looks reasonable to me but I'm no expert in circuit design. My only concern would be that the final output circuit might distort with 100% dry and 100% wet at the same time? hmmm..... Might sound good if it does distort though! hihi

Thanks - this all makes sense. Will report back when procrastination is defeated.

Cheers,
Roger
Dr Gris
I don't like push-pull pots but that's maybe an option to drilling a hole for a dedicated switch? Personally I prefer dedicated switches.

//M
Esample9
Gaggle of German Goodness

Bought the reverb along with 901s and Mixer. Gerhard is the man.

JohnLRice
Esample9 wrote:

w00t
Mark11Audio
ualslosar wrote:
Gerhard just announced that he's added an SW905 reverberation unit to his offerings in MU.

It's offered with selectable (at the back) "regular" mode & an "Emerson" mode which changes the operating characteristics (a neat mod).

I'm going add one of these to my system, for sure.

Regards
Larry

Not sure if you guys remember, but I did a quick "improptu" interview with Gerhard at Superbooth 2018 last year, and he did a semi quick demo of the SW905 Reverb unit, not much, but he had the prototype there... it sounded so much better in person of course... it starts around 5:03 in the video.

Cheers, Mark
ualslosar
A few details of the jumper connector on the SW 905 with instructions. The jumper isn't pictured...just the connector

Even tho the attached instructions are provided, I still can't figure out which jumper setting is Emerson. Is it L or R in the picture below, please?

Thanks
Larry
synthetic
Looks like your photo is upside down from the instructions. Original mode is 1, skip, 2, 3 and Emerson mode is 1, 2, 3, skip. So it appears to me that you are in Emerson mode. Noodley solo expected soon.

At least that's how it looks to me from here.
Dave Peck
Judging from the photos shown in your post, there are really no 'jumpers'. It is telling you to move the two wire harnesses from the 'first and second' three-pin connectors to the 'second and third' three pin connectors. Check the photos. The wire harnesses are connected to different PCB connectors.
josaka
Esample9 wrote:

7 B's with one A..? im using 4 and thats heavy !
got 5 921 with one A as well.. smile

yep.. gerhard is great to deal with.
Esample9
The pic may be a little deceiving. It’s two banks of ABBB
josaka
yes yes.. I see it now.. smile thumbs up

Esample9
Clap Nice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1