MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Old sampler love...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Old sampler love...
3hands
Both my Ensoniq Mirage and Akai S612 are currently not working. One is a problem with the power rails, and the other (the mirage) is just being an Ensoniq. I would like to live vicariously through other people’s love of old 8 and 12 bit samplers!!

I also have an S700 which can sample down to 1.2 kHz which is simply obscene.

So let’s have at it then!
Kazremark
The only old school sampler I have right now is the Dynacord Add-One. It is totally awesome though, so not complaining. I almost bought an Emulator III rack about ten years ago before prices went nuts, and regret not doing it.
anselmi
I was close to buy some old samplers in the past years and resist the temptation because the storage, user interface and lack of support

some months ago I got a Korg Microsampler and can´t be more happy with it...it´s 16 bits, but you can perform SRR and even monitor it at the inputs which is great...sure it doesn´t have all the functions of an E-Mu or Akai sampler but has so many good stuff (like the resampling, fx, fast operation, flashram) that compensate for the lack of them
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
Not sure if it can be considered old compared to other ones, but my Boss Sp-202s were the most fun I ever had with sampling. I had two. Immediate, grimy, inspiring, and stupid simple to use. You could really mangle samples with it, and then record them to another pad or into your daw. Fucking loved them.

Someone stole them almost ten years ago. Assholes.
CF3
EMU Emax SE (rack) + EMUSER (USB to RS422) + SMAX/WaveMax software = Totally amazing.

I can load in wav files and map samples easily. Save and load Banks to the computer easily. Name Programs. Choose the sample rate (10kHz zombie ) from WaveMax. Edit samples and LOOP POINTS in an actual audio editor (DSP Quattro) on my mac then export into the Emax. Best of all worlds. we're not worthy
Super crunchy-punchy 12bit drums, drones, pads, synths, thru analog filters.love

Big props to Wolfram for developing the SMAX and WaveMax software. Really brings the Emax (and EII, EIII) into the 21st century.

Now I need a second Emax rack hihi
thispoison
I tend to keep things forever, so still have an EII, an Emax and a Prophet 2000 which are great.

They take up a lot of room though....
beatcleaver
Dug out my old K2000 a few months ago. Haven't used it in earnest in probably 15 years, hadn't even turned it on in years. It booted up, worked fine first try. Battery is dead of course but otherwise fine, even the 200Mb hard drive.

They're dirt cheap now, you can find a K2000 for €100-200. Probably better to go for a K2500 or K2600, you can find the racks and keyboard versions quite easily in many places. More popular in the US than other places I'd guess.

They're great in that you can send the samples through the complete synth engine. 32 (?) different algorithms, many modulation possibilities...and three layers to each voice if I remember. Think the drum voice can have more layers (10?). The K2500/K2600 are beefier I believe.

You can mix lfos and envelopes together in different ways, run the results through different mathematical functions before applying them to the destination.

The small display is surprisingly useable, and the navigation and OS in general is well thought out.

Now I'm gassing for a K2600r writing this out d'oh!
chachi
i have an emax too, gotta check out that SMAX...
CF3
chachi wrote:
i have an emax too, gotta check out that SMAX...

nanners

Edit: The most crucial part is the EMUSER

http://emxp.net/EMuSer.htm
Hi5
Been wanting an Emax or an EPS for a while now. Need that dirt
snercle
If I had studio space I would definitely have kept:

Sequential prophet 2000 (slow to program but best recording sound ever)
EMU SP-12 Turbo (great but the buttons clunked too loudly!)
Yamaha VSS-30 (its a toy for pros)
3hands
I’m very interested in everyone’s take on the Prophet 2000!

It’s a sampler I’ve yet to own, and would love to get my hands on one!!
jam457
3hands wrote:

They sound amazing! I had the rack for a little bit sounded so good! Beware though the loading times are insane.....even with a usb emulator it takes forever....
thetwlo
CF3 wrote:

Really? Why? can't you do the same via midi? I know it(RS-422) was faster back then but still only twice as fast as midi, and only worked with Passport's Alchemy and early versions of Sound Designer.
Just not clear why that's so important, would love to use my Emax II again, just been lazy. They are they best samplers IMHO.

... oh yeah, DSP-Quattro! had switched to Wave Editor, and that's dead now. So just upgraded to v5 of DSP-Q thanks !!! forgot about that option.
SmartBits
3hands wrote:

It's the only vintage sampler that I have. One of the pro's on the 2000 and 2002 is that there is an excellent (and free) editor for Windows. Much easier to set everything up, although the matrix on the unit itself isn't too bad.

Might put mine up for sale in the near future though, as I'm thinking about downsizing... help
3hands
Hmm so I need one!!

Smartbits, if you decide to unload it PM me please!!

Thanks tons!!
Flareless
I was given an old EMU ESI-2000 several years ago. It's gone through a couple of upgrades. I don't use it too often but when I do I really love the results.

Upgrade 1 - The Floppy
Upgrade 2 - The Hard Drive
Sir Ruff
3hands wrote:
Both my Ensoniq Mirage and Akai S612 are currently not working. One is a problem with the power rails, and the other (the mirage) is just being an Ensoniq. I would like to live vicariously through other people’s love of old 8 and 12 bit samplers!!

I also have an S700 which can sample down to 1.2 kHz which is simply obscene.

So let’s have at it then!

I actually have the same three (plus a few others)--actually have an S-700 and an X-7000 + that backup memory card. Frustratingly, neither of them work. The 700 doesn't sample and the 7000 adds some clock noise to the sample audio.

I would at least get the 612 up and running on your end though--I use that WAY more than all my other ones combined. Endless fun.
gringostar
They'll have to pry my A5000 out of my cold dead hands. The effects are amazing and unique, the pitch algorithm is easily my favorite out of every hardware sampler I've played with, and with the expansion board it can drop down to a 4 kHz sample rate which gets super crunchy while (thanks to the conversion algorithm) still maintains clarity of the sample.
CF3
thetwlo wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Really? Why? can't you do the same via midi? I know it(RS-422) was faster back then but still only twice as fast as midi, and only worked with Passport's Alchemy and early versions of Sound Designer.
Just not clear why that's so important, would love to use my Emax II again, just been lazy. They are they best samplers IMHO.

... oh yeah, DSP-Quattro! had switched to Wave Editor, and that's dead now. So just upgraded to v5 of DSP-Q thanks !!! forgot about that option.

The SMAX software (smax, wavemax and emu database) was written specifically for the RS422 protocol I believe, which is the reason the EMUSER is so important. MIDI sample dump would not be a realistic way of doing it IMO. Painfully slow compared to RS422. The software specially searches for a "serial port" connection (which the EMUSER facilitates thru USB). There's no MIDI Dump option available. With the EMUSER (via USB to RS422) transferring samples and banks back and forth is relatively quick (granted, we're talking about 512k here hihi ).

I also have an old Apple Wallstreet laptop running Passport Alchemy so I can connect it via the built in serial RS422 port if need be. Works really well actually. But having the speed and convenience of a modern computer connected to the Emax is way better. I've literally created 100's of Banks in no time. The fact it can recognize "loop points" I set up in my audio editor is a godsend. Perfect sustained loops are a snap. And mapping out large drum banks is super easy.

So yes, the EMUSER dongle is the hardest part of this whole scheme. Not so much setting it up, but actually attaining one. Super easy to build if you're into DIY. I lucked out and got a pre-built one

The EMXP software that it was originally built for is super cool also.

http://users.skynet.be/emxp/index.htm
desdinova
I still use my K2661 every week but, honestly, mostly VAST not user keymaps these days.
Just picked up an EPS16 because I love the EPS sound, I think they really knocked it out of the park with that platform. UI is still amazing today, great playing board.
Neo
Still have my Greengate DS3 from 1984 and the Apple ][e that it runs on. Haven't fired it up for a while though. Raucous un-filtered 8 bit aliasy goodness. Even have a 40 second memory card expansion.
Shrigg
CF3 wrote:

Big props to Wolfram for developing the SMAX and WaveMax software. Really brings the Emax (and EII, EIII) into the 21st century.

Now I need a second Emax rack hihi

I'm very interested... Can you post a link for the SMAX software? Thanks!
PhineasFreak
yamaha su10 anyone?

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/su10.php

i know its literally load sample, play it back and pretty much nothing more, small capacity and not particularly fancy in any way, but

it just works - and has midi.

combined with a 303 or a 90s groovebox synth and a drum machine its pure win.
slumberjack
PhineasFreak wrote:
yamaha su10 anyone?

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/su10.php

i know its literally load sample, play it back and pretty much nothing more, small capacity and not particularly fancy in any way, but

it just works - and has midi.

combined with a 303 or a 90s groovebox synth and a drum machine its pure win.

i'm a heavy su200 and su700 user. almost in every track. often both.
so i guess a su10 would be a nice companion too! also for the road together with a midi sequencer. i like to take the su200 with me as my drummachine triggered with monomachine's 6 midi tracks. would be nice to record stereo samples with the lower stuff on one side and the hats, claps and snare on the other for a better treatment in the mixer and the fx chain.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3