MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

bandcamp question on physical sales
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author bandcamp question on physical sales
slumberjack
sorry i don't know in which subforum to put this question.

i developing an physical only label at the moment and wondering about if it's possible on bandcamp to sell the physical product without downloads available to everbody. it seems that it's no possible on my artist account.

if not so, any suggestions for other plattforms?
ignatius
slumberjack wrote:

i developing an physical only label at the moment and wondering about if it's possible on bandcamp to sell the physical product without downloads available to everbody. it seems that it's no possible on my artist account.

you just upload clips of the tracks. then when someone buys the record they get the record and can download the clips but it doesn't matter because who is going to listen to a bunch of 30 second clips.

it's how i sell my sample library there (because they enabled zip files for my account).

if you email them and tell them what you want to do they are usually pretty helpful and nice.

but the easiest way is to just make all the tracks 30 second (whatever length you choose) preview clips of your release.. and then you can make the price of digital release $100 or something and make a note in the 'about' section of the release. the physical release is listed first i think.

i'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to do a physical only release and i'm sure they're good reasons just be prepared for endless emailas and questions about "why no digital version" and stuff like that. also keep in mind that at least one person will record the release into their computer and share the files. it's inevitable.

a lot of people have success doing a preroder for the physical reelase and not making the digital version available until the physical ships.

good luck w/all of though! and don't be shy about emailing bandcamp. i've had very helpful support from them.
slumberjack
ignatius wrote:
slumberjack wrote:

you just upload clips of the tracks. then when someone buys the record they get the record and can download the clips but it doesn't matter because who is going to listen to a bunch of 30 second clips.

it's how i sell my sample library there (because they enabled zip files for my account).

if you email them and tell them what you want to do they are usually pretty helpful and nice.

but the easiest way is to just make all the tracks 30 second (whatever length you choose) preview clips of your release.. and then you can make the price of digital release $100 or something and make a note in the 'about' section of the release. the physical release is listed first i think.

i'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to do a physical only release and i'm sure they're good reasons just be prepared for endless emailas and questions about "why no digital version" and stuff like that. also keep in mind that at least one person will record the release into their computer and share the files. it's inevitable.

a lot of people have success doing a preroder for the physical reelase and not making the digital version available until the physical ships.

good luck w/all of though! and don't be shy about emailing bandcamp. i've had very helpful support from them.

guess with a label account it's possible for endless free downloads, so you can put the snippets up no hassle. an other option would be to upload premasters only and so on. deleting the release after it's sold out etc. i've gone trough these options in my head already but nontheless thanks for your response.
slumberjack
or let me ask in an other way: what are the benefits of running a label account on bandcamp?
odonamon
I had good luck with https://www.kunaki.com with running a small amount of physical discs. If you get a barcode from like barcodemani.com you can batch and sell through Amazon and market with a Facebook ad.

Just an option.

Wishing you massive success!
vrfats
I'm pretty sure you can just list the CD / Vinyl / Cassette for sale as a "Merch" item and not make an album page for it or make an album page and not upload any songs then have the merch item show up on the album page etc.

I know when you do a preorder / prerelease you can make 1 or 2 songs streamable even though they are all uploaded and downloadable but I'm pretty sure you need to buy a bc pro service to make it so a few songs are streamable and the rest buyable when the album has been released.
shabbyroad
Add the vinyl as a merch item. That’s what I’ve done bandcamp.circuit3.com

Take a look also at how Medically Records handles their catalog on bandcamp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1