MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

back to 5U purity!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author back to 5U purity!
holstermedia
as eurorack slowly turns into a giant expensive computer I'm thinking about selling up and expanding my 5U.

I've got plenty of standards from synth.com and Oakley from a while back - what's the news in 5U land from the last few years?

COTK still around?
any new brands to look out for?
any good convertor kits for the classic eurorack modules that I'll miss?
MindMachine
Synthesizers dotcom has a lot of complex and smaller modules now.

There is a ton of discussion regarding what you are asking about here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24
hamildad
Quote:
as eurorack slowly turns into a giant expensive computer I'm thinking about selling up and expanding my 5U.

A giant expensive computer with a tiny screen!

FWIW, this was the tipping point for me, I might try to put all my thoughts in order and but the race to cram the most functionality behind the tiniest of displays just turned me off.

Nested menus and tiny screens are good for setting up,hitting play and standing back.

you kids get off my lawn
josaka
Synth-werk
SSL
Corsynth
Krisp1
FreestateFX
Mos-lab
Suit and Tie Guy
Frequency Central
Soundtronics.co.uk
Lower west side studios
Happy Nerding
Noise Engineering
Analogue Craftsman
.com
Dove audio
Moon
Grove Audio

to name a few active 5u companies..
holstermedia
wow a whole list to research! wasn't expecting that...
5U was always sluggish compared to eurorack - and the fact that synth.com now has multil use 'complex' modules is a shock!

Roger was never into that...good to see

I miss having to use my brain with the limited 5U modules - it's just a hobby for me so the journey there is more important than the result.

atm if I need a snare I just patch in a snare module. no fun!

I'll be selling 40+ eurorack modules in the forum soon
josaka
yep.. 5u .. is slowly kicking and screaming its way into the modern era..
but in 5u you still need to use your brain/skills to create the more weird and wonderful.. smile
MrNezumi
I won't try to convince you to keep any Eurorack, but I will say that I don't fully understand the pursuit of "purity", especially for modules you will miss in Euro. My Modest Modular™ has both 5u and Euro in it and I am quite pleased with it. I too dislike the "expensive computer" modules in Euroland so I don't buy them.

Recently I bought a Basimilus Iteratas Magnus in 5u. It was on sale for the same price as the Euro version and I much prefer its layout. Then I bought a small handful of Euro modules (clock divider, trigger seq, attenuators) to support it. It made sense to go Euro for that due to size and cost.

Just because Euro has whizbang hi-tech computermatic modules doesn't mean you need to buy them. It has plenty of basic stuff to offer at a reasonable price and a smaller footprint.
Esample9
Synth-Werk is currently at the top of my list. But the people at Synthesizers.com are amazing at customer service.
josaka
Esample9 wrote:
Synth-Werk is currently at the top of my list. But the people at Synthesizers.com are amazing at customer service.

have to say.. gerhard has been very good as well.. not as instant.. but just as prompt.. if not moreso.

love my Synth-Werk..
JohnLRice
holstermedia, are you familiar with ModularGrid? It's an easy way to see a majority of what's available and a fun way to virtually design and rearrange a system. Check it out! thumbs up
https://www.modulargrid.net/d/modules/home
holstermedia
it's far to hard too resist! those single use modules (esp drums and fx) are too tempting...

my plan is:

- Mac for most logic, triggers, dividers, digital drums etc
- 5U for most sounds
- Perc Pro for real drums/percussion
- ES-8 to bring it together

I'd really miss Pamela, maths and erbeverb

MrNezumi wrote:
I won't try to convince you to keep any Eurorack, but I will say that I don't fully understand the pursuit of "purity", especially for modules you will miss in Euro. My Modest Modular™ has both 5u and Euro in it and I am quite pleased with it. I too dislike the "expensive computer" modules in Euroland so I don't buy them.

Just because Euro has whizbang hi-tech computermatic modules doesn't mean you need to buy them. It has plenty of basic stuff to offer at a reasonable price and a smaller footprint.
Rex Coil 7
There is a lot more ~room~ to work with in the 5U format as well.

If you are half-assed good with your hands and tools, there's a company called "Front Panel Express" that uses a proprietary front panel designing program (a free download) called .. of all things .. "Front Panel Designer". You can design your own module control panels and inside of a work week they land on your front door.

So what I mean by "more room to work with in 5U" combined with the Front Panel Express comment is that it's quite easy to take the guts out of (let's say) a Synthesizers.Com module and mount them in the panel(s) you designed and had made by Front Panel Express to fabricate modules of your own design. By using Synthesizers.Com modules' insides you can get away with making modules of your own design with very little (if any) soldering.

You can also do the same thing with various 5U "kit" circuit board offered by the likes of Oakely in England. Buy the bare circuit board(s), solder the little parts on them, then use them in your own panels that you had Front Panel Express make for you.

Being 5U, it's not complex surgery since there is more mechanical space to work with .. since this format conforms with more spacious control spreads (knobs/switches/jacks are farther apart).

This is two VCOs, two VCO waveform mixers, two VCO "aids", and a number of additional functions added ... eight 5U spaces condensed down to six. All Synthesizers.Com modules in a Front Panel Express control panel.

I just adore 5U.

But I've also got a contingent of Euro as my modulators. All of my Env Gens, LFOs, and so on are all Euro (to include four MATHS, sixteen VCAs, two Dual ADSRs, and some other necessary trinkets). All of the audio signal path modules are 5U (VCOs, VCFs, Mixers, Output VCAs). Not one single "programmable" module among the pile ... the only digital processors are in the MIDI-to-CV converter ... which is a Kenton Pro 2000 MkII.

It can be done!

And also .... WELCOME HOME!!!

I'll now relinquish the talking feather to those with more important things to say.

thumbs up
hamildad
holstermedia wrote:

I'd really miss Pamela, maths and erbeverb

My Kingdom for Pamela’s workout in 5U. I bought the Q170 for its midi clock to analogue clock options but dang I miss my PW when I left Eurorack.

and i’m talking about the old LED version not the new fangled many options but a tiny screen version.
Noiseconformist
There are also occasional projects either rebuilding or converting 3U modules to 5U.
This makes sense since there are sound synthesis methods which simply
can't be achieved with pure analogue technology.
FWIW I too prefer to stay analogue.
That said any synthesis algorithm involving sound storage can't be easily done in the analogue realm.
m.
Brendanleespengler
I’ve got both an MU and a Euro system that’s mostly Verbos. I’m so glad I didn’t sell off my MU system as I was expanding my Euro (and modular video, ha!) systems. I use the MU and Euro synths for completely different applications. But, the MU is easier to expand on a budget, generally. Especially, if you’re buying from dotcom!
Noiseconformist
Brendanleespengler wrote:

I use the MU and Euro synths for completely different applications.

got curious, could you elaborate, PLS?
Brendanleespengler
Well, my Eurorack stuff is mostly made up of a complete Verbos system, which (simply put) is inspired by Don Buchla’s designs and the ‘West Coast’ philosophy of synthesis. Wavefolding, low pass gates, unconventional tactile controllers, etc. I also have some Make Noise, Intellijel, 4ms and other companies’ modules mixed in. Very generally, it can produce sounds akin to Morton Subtonik, Suzanne Ciani or whatnot. I do use a Verbos Touchplate Keyboard with it. But it is not a synth controlled with a keyboard, for all practical purposes. I use sequencers, random voltage generators, LFOs and enevelope followers to create most of my music with my Euro system.
My MU system is composed of mostly synthesizers.com stuff. Roger Arrick (and his wife) have been producing and selling (again, generally) affordable Moog-inspired or ‘East Coast’ modules for quite awhile. I have some STG stuff (a fantastic EMS Synthi filter, etc) mixed in. But, I control it with a keyboard controller and mostly use it for melodic leads and bass. Although, I should stress an MU system can be extremely versatile and there are West Coast-style modules, low pass gates et al, available. FSFX makes MU versions of some Eurorack modules, too. I’ve seen an MU Buchla Source of Uncertainty, Make Noise Echophon and Mutable Instrument modules, of course.
Even with crossover capabilities, the difference between the two is so vast that they never become redundant. You could assemble a Eurorack system that models a Moog-style modular synth very easily (and cheaply) with Doepfer modules and countless different recreations of Moog ladder filters, VCOs and mixers. And you could do the opposite with an MU system, although I think the variety of choices are a bit less in the smaller MU community.
Didn’t plan on going on like that. Actually, you probably know most of this stuff, ha!
EPTC
You can run Pam off of a small Doepfer minicase and still have 80mA for another one or two modules. No reason to throw the (clocking) baby out with the (over computed) bath water.

Keep a few euro modules with something like this:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/minicase/
josaka
you can get a tiptop for around £100 second hand it does a whole row (19")

http://tiptopaudio.com/happyendingkit/
Dob
josaka wrote:
Synth-werk
SSL
Corsynth
Krisp1
FreestateFX
Mos-lab
Suit and Tie Guy
Frequency Central
Soundtronics.co.uk
Lower west side studios
Happy Nerding
Noise Engineering
Analogue Craftsman
.com
Dove audio
Moon
Grove Audio

Don't forget Rob Hordijk
josaka
Dob wrote:
josaka wrote:
Synth-werk
SSL
Corsynth
Krisp1
FreestateFX
Mos-lab
Suit and Tie Guy
Frequency Central
Soundtronics.co.uk
Lower west side studios
Happy Nerding
Noise Engineering
Analogue Craftsman
.com
Dove audio
Moon
Grove Audio

Don't forget Rob Hordijk

bit of an oversight.. seeing as I have 3 hordijk oscillators... smile

the reason I may have left him off is the minimum buy requirement and the ever increasing wait times..
coyoteous
Here's an updated list of 5U I made sometime back:

Analog Craftsman
Analog Metropolis
Barton
Club of the Knobs
Corsynth
Curetronics
Cyndustries
Dove Audio
Encore Electronics
Endangered Audio
Free State FX
Frequency Central
Grove Audio
GRP
Happy Nerding
Hordijk
Klangfeld
Krisp1
Low-Gain
Lower West Side Studio
Macbeth
Marienberg
MFOS
Megaohm
Modcan
Moog
Moon
Mos-Lab
MOTM
Noise Engineering
Oakley Sound
Re:synthesis
Sputnik/RomanF
STG Soundlabs
Stroh/J3RK
Synthcube*
Synthesizers.com
Synthetic Sound Labs
Synthtech
Synth-Werk
Tellun
Trouby
Yusynth
Zerosum Inertia

*various brands/ports
Dob
josaka wrote:

bit of an oversight.. seeing as I have 3 hordijk oscillators... smile

the reason I may have left him off is the minimum buy requirement and the ever increasing wait times..

Yes. But that is compensated by the quality, sound and genius wink
Dob
coyoteous wrote:
Here's an updated list of 5U I made sometime back

Wow! Brilliant!
Should this become a sticky?
I see some new names, at least for me smile
coyoteous
Dob wrote:
coyoteous wrote:
Here's an updated list of 5U I made sometime back

Wow! Brilliant!
Should this become a sticky?
I see some new names, at least for me smile

Thanks... but in reality, there's probably not that much more than has already been discussed.

Sorry if anyone ends up on a wild goose chase to find nothing or exotic, obsolete, etc. modules.

I have two of the MOTM-format Analog Metropolis modules from Synthcube (ARP and Emu filters)... so AM is redundant to the asterisk note as 5U are not direct products (kind of a step or so away from one-off to small-run DIY ports).

It's also not exhaustive: I have both of the late Larry Hendry's Synth Systems "level shifters" and forgot to add that to the list... so, really just a list of stuff that had/has a brand name, but not 100%.

Probably doesn't deserve a sticky of its own... most of it is in the DIY ("soldering iron thing"?) one as "ready made," if I recall.

Modular Grid likely has all that and more between MOTM and MU.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1