MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How Many $.£.€ have you chucked into your dark hearted ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author How Many $.£.€ have you chucked into your dark hearted ?
josaka
How Many $.£.€ do you think you have have you chucked into(invested smile ) your dark hearted monster.. (modular!) over the years ..??

Dead Banana ambulance Never maintain cash savings again Band

probably something most here dont really want to think about ... smile
JohnLRice
WAY more then I should have and WAY less then I want to.
Eric the Red
I’m still putting the final shopping list together... but by the time I make my final parts purchase my 157u / 300hp eurocase, I’ll be about 10k deep into my DIY project.

On the Dotcom side, not nearly as much, 2xbox 11’s with only about 15 spaces filled up with mostly used modules.
Flareless
Just enough to consider it a good start but not nearly enough to think the job is done Mr. Green
TRUE DEEP
Spent about 3.200 euros. Only have two 22-space portable cabinets.
josaka
my first buy was a £2600 .com system..
its mostly not in my sytem now..
which means it has been replaced buy other things !
+ 5 other shelves !!!!
eeek.
Esample9
“My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my synthesizer for what I told her it cost.”

From Synthesizers.com website
sduck
all of it
Ockeghem
More than a Moog System 15
Less than a Moog System 55
(in $,
not number of modules)
smile cool
Huba-Swift
I'd say about 5-6k USD. I've managed to make that money fill about 80MU of spaces thanks to buying used and DIY.
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
How Many $.£.€ do you think you have have you chucked into(invested smile ) your dark hearted monster.. (modular!) over the years ..??

josaka
Huba-Swift wrote:
I'd say about 5-6k USD. I've managed to make that money fill about 80MU of spaces thanks to buying used and DIY.

for you... its.. #howmanyhoursdaysweeksmonths.. ??
Flareless
josaka wrote:
Huba-Swift wrote:

Excellent point! There's a dollar value associated with time and that's often incalculable.
Huba-Swift
josaka wrote:
Huba-Swift wrote:

It's all free time that I wouldn't have been doing anything in anyways, so it doesn't count razz

That being said, the amount of time I spend putting stuff together has gotten a bit insane, especially over the past month I haven't bee able to get my mind off building synthesizers. I'd say I've spent around 400-500 solid hours on building MU related DIY modules for my 5U since I started. Recently I've been spending around 30-35 hrs a week building. That's on top of full-time university courses as well as part-time work. I hate having nothing to do as I get bored extremely easily, so it's important I'm always doing something. If anyone wants me to build them a module, let me know! at this point, I'm building things I don't need just because it's so much fun. hihi
cycad73
Somewhere in the five figures, but it took many years. In the last five years I've sold more than I've bought.
kindredlost
I've spent more $ than a sane person should but less than some, which is a pitiful way of excusing myself for the excessive hobby.

I do actually try to make music with it and share some of it with others on the internet. Does that count as a way to soothe my conscience?
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
I've spent more $ than a sane person should but less than some, which is a pitiful way of excusing myself for the excessive hobby.

I do actually try to make music with it and share some of it with others on the internet. Does that count as a way to soothe my conscience?
yes, especially since your output is of exceptional quality! nanners Hug
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:
WAY more then I should have and WAY less then I want to.

What he said ^^^^^^^^

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! applause
josaka
mark.. you must be way up there..you have bought at least 3 or 4 major systems ...that I have seen smile smile smile
Mark11Audio
josaka wrote:
mark.. you must be way up there..you have bought at least 3 or 4 major systems ...that I have seen smile smile smile

yeah, I'm actually afraid to add up my past 30 years... cry waah waah waah waah waah seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
Stereotactixxx
38MU + a few euro modules + a Cirklon and peripherals to control them + wood + power + cables.

Getting closer to $10k than you’d think.
arthurdent
I just got started a little over 2 years ago, I now have about $11K invested in eurorack. I started with a Mother-32, and built a 3U x 84HP skiff out of cardboard for some "extra" modules; I now have two M-32's, a 0-Coast, and a Pittsburgh Modular EP-420 case that's full. I have 2 modules that I don't do much with (BBD's), may get rid of them, but there is about another $2-3K of stuff that I "think I need to round out my system".

But I'm still thinking that I'd like to switch over to 5U...
mutierend
Probably about $8k or $9k. Way, way less than what I've put into Buchla. Dead Banana
josaka
arthurdent wrote:
I just got started a little over 2 years ago, I now have about $11K invested in eurorack. I started with a Mother-32, and built a 3U x 84HP skiff out of cardboard for some "extra" modules; I now have two M-32's, a 0-Coast, and a Pittsburgh Modular EP-420 case that's full. I have 2 modules that I don't do much with (BBD's), may get rid of them, but there is about another $2-3K of stuff that I "think I need to round out my system".

lawd. if you are counting non modular.. forget it..nice house prices.. easy.
arthurdent
josaka wrote:
arthurdent wrote:

lawd. if you are counting non modular.. forget it..nice house prices.. easy.

In that cost, I did not include the Yamaha keyboard, Moog Etherwave Plus, the computer with Ableton and several Arturia synth apps, the iPad with the synth apps, headphones, monitor speakers, and then there's the stuff I bought to do DIY modules - soldering station, Oscilloscope, Fluke meter. OH YEAH, it can add up...
hsosdrum
Flareless wrote:
josaka wrote:
Huba-Swift wrote:

Excellent point! There's a dollar value associated with time and that's often incalculable.

Time is THE most valuable commodity human beings ever possess because it's the only one that can never be recovered once it's spent or lost. Use it wisely.
johny_gtr
I only count price difference between bought and sold (especially in a rush) AND price discount for old digital modellers and pedals. It's about 2-3 grand.
josaka
its probably quite interesting for noobs this thread..
the scale seems to be.. 3 > 15k
I think the average is 7>10k
.. so over time thats maybe what you are looking at..
but.. oh..the fun.. smile
nanners The Chewbacca Defense ambulance Never maintain cash savings again MiniMoog
zeta
C’mon $£€$*%<{| wtf! Isn’t it all’bout fun! I mean ...more’s less, minimum4maximum. Have a well suited system here as well aaand it’s growin’ buut, aehh €$£¥*#~\ that thread seems useless, totaly USELESS to me. Well, sorry .. i mean as for what?
Hsosdrum’s comment best of 2019.❤️
ranix
I lost track but I think it's around 30k

basically an entire wall of synthesizers and controllers and vintage computers and monitors and scopes and probes and cables for the price of a Moog System 35
Rex Coil 7
$3k on the Super Mini Modular "Main Cabinet"
$3k on the Super Mini Modular "Utility Cabinet" and Super Controller Kybd.
$5k on the Super Mini Modular "Euro Modulation Cabinet".
$2.5k on the "Modular Computer".
$1.5K on the ROMpler rack.
$1.5k on the Hammond and Dual Leslie Emulator rig.
$1k on desk mixers and monitor speakers.
$2.5k on various FX.

$11k on just the modular synth project (first three line items in the list).
$20k on the whole pile in the list above.

Which does not include any of my Bass Guitar or Guitar stuff.

So maybe $25k+ all said and done.

Never maintain cash savings again
lisa
I’ve spent about $10 000 but if I only look at the stuff that I have sold I’m in the black by $2-300. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Esample9 wrote:
“My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my synthesizer for what I told her it cost.”

Some guys seem to have such lovely relationstips based on lies. wink
Rex Coil 7
lisa wrote:
I’ve spent about $10 000 but if I only look at the stuff that I have sold I’m in the black by $2-300. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Esample9 wrote:

Good thing some women don't do that. wink

I reckon it's more of a human thing rather than anything gender driven.

nodnod
Rex Coil 7
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... So maybe $25k+ all said and done.
It's worth mentioning that figure was based on monetary value of my current system and not representative of sheer cash outlay. What I mean is that when I first "stuck the needle in my arm" (so to speak) and started accumulating modules and pieces to make my synth, some of the money for it came from selling off gear I had procured previously. Like many (most?) of us, I began buying/selling/trading gear and equipment decades prior to seeing my first modern synth module and staring at the computer screen wide-eyed in disbelief that Moog-like modules were being produced by Synthesizers.Com around 2008.

The addiction began in 1977 after I saw my very first "rock concert" (ELP) at 17 years of age. I was so taken by that experience I sold my most precious belonging to buy my first synth and my first Hammond. Since then, it's been a slow march forward.

I'd imagine my story is very similar to most other folk's within this and other subforums.

w00t
lisa
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I reckon it's more of a human thing rather than anything gender driven.

Yeah, humans are the worst. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
hamildad
I looked at how much my ideal system would cost new, then I went about trying to acquire second hand modules, things people were willing to sell, I did the wiring myself and splurged on a lovely case from Lamond Designs.

Everything from buying bulk 60m of cable and Switchcraft jacks to getting colleagues to bring stuff back sent to our US office. I'd say my ducking and dealing saved me about £2.5K compared to buying all new.

All in I have an incredible synth for £6K. and 50% of that was funded by selling my Eurorack, which I had been building up for 6 years, so it didn't seem like too big a spend.

Totally Worth it....
josaka
not sure that money people made by selling stuff should be somehow deducted..?? smile ...its still money you spent !!
add it all back on..!
sbuge
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... Like many (most?) of us, I began buying/selling/trading gear and equipment decades prior to seeing my first modern synth module and staring at the computer screen wide-eyed in disbelief that Moog-like modules were being produced by Synthesizers.Com around 2008.

It was exactly like this also in my case. I do not (want/care to) know the precise amount but when I started buying stuff (11 years ago) I had just graduated from university and I went to work. And from that day on I have always saved >200€ from my monthly salary to my "synth"account (and I have always spend every penny). So 11*(>200)*12 > 26400€ ... ... so ... &well ... who cares ... ... I am living my dreams ...

When I was teenager (in the end of 90s) my greatest dream was to play live gigs with big modular synth ...

and since 2008 it has been possible ... screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
--> ---> My modular memories part 1342
josaka
sbuge wrote:

... I am living my dreams ...

When I was teenager (in the end of 90s) my greatest dream was to play live gigs with big modular synth ...

and since 2008 it has been possible ... screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
--> ---> My modular memories part 1342

yep smile
hsosdrum
Altogether I think I have around $12,000 in my synthesizer and another $12,000 in my current drumset. But you can't put a price on happiness, and having beautiful, high-quality, great-sounding musical instruments at my fingertips makes me very happy!

Since I got my first one way back in 1966 it's hard for me to figure out exactly how much I had put into my previous 4 drumsets, but it's gotta be around $20,000 total. I used drumset #2 as the "tools of my trade" when I earned a living playing drums between 1971 and 1977, so I'm actually in the financial plus column for my first two drumsets.
Faustgeist
Oh man, I've been trying to avoid this math. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Modgrid says my 5u at MSRP is about $10k. But I have bought plenty at -15% used prices. . but been a sucker for a few expensive rarities. My best spent money is with DIY makers and the great small producers in this format.

Same $ amount in eurocrack.

Ungh, I dont want to add the case & pwr costs...

Pedals, rack effects, monitors, mixer and all the other stuff... 'prolly no more than $3k

sad banana
Mirolab
True nerd that I am, I just updated my excel spreadsheet list of modules. In nearly 3 years, I've filled 62 of my 64 spaces, at a cost of about $11,000. That's an average cost of $177 per MU space.
Module Brands: 31=Synth.com 7=STG 5=Moon 4=FSFX 2=SSL 1=Corsynth 1=HappyNerding

My initial seed purchase was a used Porta-22 off of Ebay for $1500. Everything else after that was purchased new.
I built my own 4x16 space cabinet, so the rack is NOT accounted for in my $11k cost.
stevebryson
Let's see... when I was seriously building, a little over $1000 per month for OH MY GOD!!! Don't tell my wife!
coyoteous
Anything under X is not worth the effort to add up... anything over, you just shouldn't!

The real question is: what's your X?

Seriously though, mine is mostly in smaller subsystems and sub-subsystems: two Moon P-Cabs, two Moon rack chassis (RP and original two-row "R?") with the latter making "wing cabs" for the P-Cabs... anyway, that's one example of a subsystem (yeah, there's more... a lot!).

I've got a pretty good idea about the cost of each "case," and have to do totals for tax and insurance purposes if they make me... but, I mostly try to stay in a constant state of denial.

Plus, it's a lot more fun to think about what you saved on a deal than what it cost... also, looking at cost over time is a better reality metric for me.

How can you put a price on so much fun/obsession?
josaka
Quote:

By adding it up.. ?
hihi hihi hihi
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
Quote:

By adding it up.. ?
hihi hihi hihi
DAMMIT MAN!! Why did you have to go and pop my "means of escape" bubble by getting all real and shit?

Damn you and your clear view of reality! Damn you I say!!!

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
coyoteous
josaka wrote:
Quote:

By adding it up.. ?
hihi hihi hihi

lol... what Rex said, you... you... bubble-burster, you!

[insert additional outlandish rationalizations here]
Esample9
lisa wrote:

Esample9 wrote:

You did realize that was a joke, right?
lauprellim
...356hp is not that much compared to the violins & violas...
Rex Coil 7
lauprellim wrote:
...356hp is not that much compared to the violins & violas...
... or a 9 foot Bosendorfer 8 Octave (97 key) Imperial at $200k. ($25k for their least costly upright).
josaka
maybe we need a little perspective here.. modulars are fun and all.. compared to forking out for a pro level studio.. a mere homeopathic level ripple in the sea..
smile
each 'module' here is at least £2k on average..

coyoteous
Yeah, modulars are probably not the the best "earner" investment... heh.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 3