MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Starting with 200e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Starting with 200e
fredguy
Long time Bugbrand user looking to put together a Skylab or maybe a 15u (12u+3u for 223e) 200e system. My goal is a small performance oriented system and I'm intrigued by the Multi-Dimensional Kinesthetic Input controller and see the benefits of the 200e's patch storage.

I've read through all the Buchla starter threads and while I see the benefits of a bigger case I find the Skylab and possibly adding a row or two of Bugbrand appealing.

I've come up with the following as must have modules:

206e - preset manager as I don't need onboard midi
223e
251e
259e
261e
281e
292e

My first thoughts on the remaining three modules were the 257e, 267e and 285e although I'm not totally sold on the 285e as while I use the Bugbrand modulator and frequency shifter they don't figure prominently in my patches. Any thoughts on what the 285e adds to the system would be appreciated.

As I thought about it I came up with a second group of 3 modules 256e, 266e, and the 291e. I like the CV mixing of the 256e and see the advantages of the 266e over the 267e.

Any thoughts on these options or other combinations ie 256e, 267e, 285e is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
mutierend
The 256e is a powerful addition to the 223e and 251e, and it's the only 200e module I know of that has a VCA for CV. It's a must-have module, imho. (I don't have a 257e, nor have I used one.)

The 291e is great. I have one in my 18U. Whether to get one would come down to how much you would use the 291e's special features, like sequencing the filter stages and so on. There's nothing else like it in other formats, that I know of. The 291e is one of those modules that sounds good out of the box, but to make it really do what's special requires some deeper exploration. Well, I guess that's true of all of Buchla, actually.

The 285e is essential in my setup, but if you have that covered with Bugbrand, you can probably skip it. What I like about the 285e is the depth that that the frequency shifter brings to my patches. I do a lot of lower-frequency sounds with lots of FM (I make dark ambient music), and the 285e is a sort of shortcut to a lot of the timbres and movement I'm going for. I also use the ring modulator a lot.

One module I'd suggest taking a look at is the Keen 282e. It's a CV generator that would go a long way in a small system. It has become the heart of my 200e instrument.

If you go to the 12U, you could add another oscillator, like the Studio H DPO (aka 258e) to give you more timbres and CV flexibility. The downside of the 12U compared to the Skylab is that you can't fold the 12U while patched. The Skylab has that flexibility.

What kind of music do you like to make? That can help narrow down suggestions.
mathomas
I have a Skylab + LEM3 setup. I got the LEM3 because I knew I’d expand outside the Skylab case (truth be told, I had extra modules before I even had the Skylab).

Here is my original lineup:

261e
259e
267e
281e
292e
206e
251e
256e
210e
223e

Additional modules I have: 250e, 258e (Studio H), 2OC.

If you’re into patch storage as a performance feature, maybe consider a 210e (either Buchla, or save a space for Studio H’s). It adds a whole other level of soft-patchability. The Buchla version gives useful, but limited, attenuation, mixing, etc. I also use it for very simple effects send routing. Studio H’s version will be even better — I’m in line for it.

I went for the 256e as well. I sometimes find myself wondering about the 257e, due to missing slew limiters and I might like the extra pulse sources. Trade-offs. The breakpoint-based attenuversion is super-useful to tune responsiveness of the 223e touch surface.

I went for the 267e, and am very glad I did for my small setup. The two filters are very useful. If I had a 291e, I’d almost certainly go for the 266e instead, similar to your thoughts.

I sometimes wish I had the 285, but can’t see trading anything else away to get it. Maybe to swap in and out for certain patches.

I need a bigger case, honestly, but I do love the portability of the Skylab.
fredguy
Thanks for the replies.

As to the music I make it varies. I often use the modular for evening meditation. Sometimes its beat oriented, sometimes drones. I often leave the same basic patch in for week(s) recording occasionally and the 200e would let me save some of the ideas for future investigation. I don't have a problem with a "small" setup with modules that get swapped in as needed. It forces me to look at things in new ways. I had a large euro system before I got into Bugbrand and it felt like I was always chasing new modules. Selling it off was somewhat of a relief.


I also play bass/ guitar/ lap steel in a band with a core group thats been together since the mid 90s. Bringing in a skylab into that setting will open up some interesting possibilities.
mathomas
I should add that in my current setup I moved the 250e into the main Skylab case, and that booted out the 256e and 251e (into the LEM3). I’m living without those modules in the main case OK (not even patched, at the moment), but I am using the 2OC from the LEM3 for quantization and other things. I need an 11-space case ;-)

I’ll just add that the 251e is powerful, but no fun. The 250e is tons of fun, and performable, in a relative sense.
mutierend
mathomas wrote:

I’ll just add that the 251e is powerful, but no fun. The 250e is tons of fun, and performable, in a relative sense.


I think the 251e is very fun, and I sold my 250e because I never used it. That's one of the awesome things about Buchla. Don's designs meet different needs, and each module does its own thing, even when the "outcome" overlaps.

The 251e has a UI that is, shall we say, unique. Perhaps even obtuse. I am a very visual person and I respond very well to representation of precision. The 251e is king of that. I also like the challenge of thinking in order of things instead of relying on the visual to define the sequence.

If there were a Buchla sequencer with sliders, I'd be in heaven. My Koma Komplex satisfies that need for now. smile
gigasturtz
mutierend wrote:
If there were a Buchla sequencer with sliders, I'd be in heaven.


Have you met my friend MArF?
mathomas
mutierend wrote:
mathomas wrote:

I’ll just add that the 251e is powerful, but no fun. The 250e is tons of fun, and performable, in a relative sense.


I think the 251e is very fun, and I sold my 250e because I never used it. That's one of the awesome things about Buchla. Don's designs meet different needs, and each module does its own thing, even when the "outcome" overlaps.

The 251e has a UI that is, shall we say, unique. Perhaps even obtuse. I am a very visual person and I respond very well to representation of precision. The 251e is king of that. I also like the challenge of thinking in order of things instead of relying on the visual to define the sequence.

If there were a Buchla sequencer with sliders, I'd be in heaven. My Koma Komplex satisfies that need for now. smile


Can't argue with that. I should have added "in my opinion" to the end of my "no fun" comment. Whatever turns your crank is a personal preference thing, for sure! I guess we're kind of opposites. I will keep the 251e of course, because it is very powerful in just 1U. I just never look much forward to working with it ... personally ;-)
mutierend
gigasturtz wrote:
mutierend wrote:
If there were a Buchla sequencer with sliders, I'd be in heaven.


Have you met my friend MArF?


I have one being built. I should have said "Buchla 200e sequencer with sliders". smile I'm looking forward to my MARF, for sure.
mutierend
mathomas wrote:

Can't argue with that. I should have added "in my opinion" to the end of my "no fun" comment. Whatever turns your crank is a personal preference thing, for sure! I guess we're kind of opposites. I will keep the 251e of course, because it is very powerful in just 1U. I just never look much forward to working with it ... personally ;-)


FWIW I don't think you're wrong. The 251e is pretty legendary for its somewhat difficult 1960s mission control console design. The 250e and 251e do different things, so if you have both, you can do a lot of great things. I liked sending the 251e CV outs to the CV ins on the 250e, for example.
gigasturtz
mutierend wrote:
I have one being built. I should have said "Buchla 200e sequencer with sliders". smile I'm looking forward to my MARF, for sure.


i figured, felt like giving you the business anyways grin you're going to love it! it's my favorite sequencer right now. when you get it and settle into it try making 3 or 4 smaller sequences over the 16 steps then using an external voltage (i've been using the stored voltage from my easel) to change which of the sub-sequences is playing.
anomie
fredguy wrote:
My first thoughts on the remaining three modules were the 257e, 267e and 285e although I'm not totally sold on the 285e as while I use the Bugbrand modulator and frequency shifter they don't figure prominently in my patches. Any thoughts on what the 285e adds to the system would be appreciated.

As I thought about it I came up with a second group of 3 modules 256e, 266e, and the 291e. I like the CV mixing of the 256e and see the advantages of the 266e over the 267e.

Any thoughts on these options or other combinations ie 256e, 267e, 285e is appreciated


I inherited a 285 in a small system I picked up second hand, and though it's an interesting module, I lean on the 291 much more for sculpting timbre. I also think the extra craziness of the 266 beats the more limited options on the 267.

I'd also consider other VCOs. Though it may verge on heresy to say this, I don't like the 259 that much, but am really excited by the Studio H 258 that's on its way!
fredguy
Thanks for the discussion.

I'm leaning 257e, 266e and 291e to round out the case.

Definitely looking at some of the Keen modules for future purchases.

Dave
mutierend
fredguy wrote:
Thanks for the discussion.

I'm leaning 257e, 266e and 291e to round out the case.

Definitely looking at some of the Keen modules for future purchases.

Dave


Great options. I haven't used the 257e but I know people love it.

Most importantly, enjoy it all!
Streakin
If your going with a smaller system like a skylab I would go with a 267e instead of a 266e and 291e. In a small system the 267e has both worlds of random voltages plus dual filters. That will leave you room for a 285e and 256e or 257e. 257e fits perfect in there. You have dual voltage processors plus Slews voltages. You will be very happy with your step up and its versatility of it.
makrel
I also started with a 206e, thinking that I would not need midi. However, I sold it to get a 225e. Enabling 200e preset change with a midi program change command from anywhere is a killer feature of the 225e
mutierend
Streakin wrote:
If your going with a smaller system like a skylab I would go with a 267e instead of a 266e and 291e. In a small system the 267e has both worlds of random voltages plus dual filters. That will leave you room for a 285e and 256e or 257e. 257e fits perfect in there. You have dual voltage processors plus Slews voltages. You will be very happy with your step up and its versatility of it.


He is getting the 257e and he doesn't want the 285e. That's all discussed in the thread. It's peanut butter jelly time!
fredguy
After much reading and debating I decided on:

206e
223e
251e
256e
259e
261e
266e
281e
291e
292e

Turns out to be the same modules used in the Todd Barton Skylab tutorial.
musicaespressiva
good choice!
fredguy
Skylab landed.


mutierend
Excellent choice for your first 200e! Here's a patching tip to try out:

261e (audio) -> mixer (I have a 210e but an external mixer will work. Use 3.5mm cables)
259e (audio, in twisted mode) -> mixer
Mixer -> 291e (input A)
261e (audio) -> 291e (input B)
259e (audio) -> 291e (input C)
291e (A) -> 292e (A)
291e (B) -> 292e (B)
291e (C) -> 292e (C)

Modulate the 291e and the velocity inputs on the 292e with CV from your 223e and 256e. Send pulses from the 223e to the 281e. Makes for some really fascinating and rich timbres.

Have fun!
mathomas
fredguy wrote:
Skylab landed.


Congrats!! Rockin' Banana!
slam
Goodness what a beautiful system.

Have fun!
gruvsyco
Congratulations! w00t
vgermuse
Have a blast! A cousin to mine that I used in these videos


Intro to Buchla 200e
fredguy
Slowly exploring, so many sounds. Decided to hit record on this patch. 259e, 266e, 281e and 292e through the 206e. A little space reverb.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/so-much-for-my-wallet[/s]
mathomas
fredguy wrote:
Slowly exploring, so many sounds. Decided to hit record on this patch. 259e, 266e, 281e and 292e through the 206e. A little space reverb.


It's peanut butter jelly time! Cool!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group