MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

No more guitar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author No more guitar
cptnal
Had a bit of an epiphany...

It's always been on the cards to incorporate guitar into my modular setup since I started nearly two years ago. Being as it were between cases at the moment, I thought I'd hook it up and have a play before the new setup gets properly embedded. And as I sat there strumming away it dawned on me - I don't want to do this. My go-to instrument for thirty years just doesn't interest me any more. Feels strange that something so important for so long now feels like a plank of wood.

Is this a common thing among wigglers? Any similar once-you-go-modular stories...?
Wartimetapestry
I have the same feelings about my guitar. Occasionally I'll hear someone else make good use of the instrument and it will inspire me. Then I'll try it myself and it's just not there. Most guitar music seems to bore me nowadays as well, despite it being a large part of my younger days.

I guess that's just personal growth?
ObsoleteModular
I'm more fascinated by guitar than I've ever been. Are you still studying it/investing time in it? Like modular you get out what you put in. It's priorities/interests too. If you're focused purely on sound design I guess a guitar is arguably limited.I will forever be in love with harmony and melody, the grammar and syntax of music, a guitar is great for that.

A guitar will grow with you if you take it along. I've been exploring it as a percussive/kinetic instrument recently. The infinite variation in sound and timbre depending on how I handle it, how I move and position my hands, whether I'm gentle or aggressive, how near or far I am form my amplifier, and so on.

Guitar is subtle and difficult compared to the musical Lego of a modular rig but it's an extension, a prosthetic, a physicality in symbiosis with your body, it's balance and it's movement. It breathes, moves beneath you, extends invitation after invitation, if you listen.

Or, if that's what you see, then sure, it's just a plank of wood.
boxxgrooved
cptnal wrote:

Feels strange that something so important for so long now feels like a plank of wood.

Is this a common thing among wigglers? Any similar once-you-go-modular stories...?

I am no guitar player but I am always slightly envious of people who can grab a guitar and henceforth pour out nice scales and chord progressions.

Musically speaking the modular cannot easily do what a decent guitar player can do simply by strumming a few strings, have you ever thought about combining guitar with the modular? Of course there is a whole world of experimentation with guitar pedals alone, but I think having fx under cv control would be more interesting in a modular environment.
ObsoleteModular
It's musical interests too.

I love specifically jazz and blues guitar. For which a modular isn't the best tool! I'd love to hear it tried though smile
DeanG
I play "jazz" and blues guitar, compose and improvise, often in an avant garde context. After over 50 years of playing and exploring the guitar there is still just as much ahead to discover and learn. I also use midi guitar on occassion to mimic other instruments.

I used a synth in the 80's for multitrack compositions (a Pro-One) but ultimately decided I could do everything I needed to do with my guitar and it wasn't until about 5 or 6 years ago I realized I would like a synth again, and down the rabbit hole I went. But I keep my synth music separate from my guitar music now, I don't combine much. For me it is a different medium, like sculpture vs painting. You can do both. And I do use my synth as a second instrument for free improvisation solo or with band, ala Sun Ra, and it is getting most of my attention these days.
zeit
Guitar was my first instrument but I haven't played it in years (know most scales and their modes)...but could see how someone could stop using after using synths, many more timbres w/ synths..

But, I would pick it back up in a second if I could use it as a MIDI controller to enter synth notes in my DAW, but unfortunately haven't found anything that works properly. It would be a powerful MIDI controller for me, I would ditch the keyboard forever. hihi
SingIt
I went away from guitar for years. My strat just collected dust. But I cleaned it up and have been using it on my music again. I guess it makes sense since I compose modern funk. A nice syncopated guitar rhythm really adds something to this type of music.
hw408
Some of my weirder riffs on synth started out as guitar patterns.
If i sit at the modular and mess with a riff on a one octave keyboard I dont usually think of going up to octaves of intervals for a single note, things that are easy on guitar.

On the flipside, I dont play guitar thinking about synth riffs at all, but sometimes they cross over if I take the time to program something.

Guitar does sit on the sidelines most of the time though, these days.
soundinett
I use guitars carefully in my electronic music. It´s a rare colour nowadays which can set you apart.
This little EP is featuring a baritone guitar.

http://soundcloud.com/soundinett/sets/a-little-life-sonic-excerpts
keninverse
I'm more a guitar player than a pianist so it was easy to bring guitars into the equation once I started using a fishman. It really opens up another dimension but I actively have to force myself to stop the guitar riffing.
Jason Brock
I moved away from guitar a while ago, and recently I'm back into it. I now view it like synths, because both instruments can sound cliche unless you work at it to find something fresh and unique.
powertran
Maybe listen to Senki Dala by venetian snares and think again!
commodorejohn
This is funny to read because I've finally started sorta-kinda actually learning to play guitar recently and I realized the other day that I've hardly touched my synths in weeks. In my experience, interests come and go in phases.
powertran
For all you guitar players, despite our synth habits, you owe it to yourself to record 10 songs of acoustic playing and singing for postertity., before you peg out. So your people can remember you. Not just the synth noise, though that's important too. IMHO.
Just me
I can't play either well, so I use them both equally poorly.
GuyaGuy
I use guitars.
And I use synths.
Mostly for different things.
That is all.
kineticturtle
I play a lot of things okay, guitar is one of them.

While sometimes I sit down with gear and just make songs, sounds, whatever - mostly the needs of the music come first; I use whatever helps the piece shine, whatever communicates the message.

Sometimes that's guitar, sometimes that's synth, sometimes that's guitar through synth, sometimes that's harpsichord with a guitar pickup near the strings run through a synth. Who knows.
cptnal
Gosh, what a lot of replies. Guinness ftw!

First of all, I don't see this as a problem. It's more of a personal milestone in realizing how I prefer to make music. The guitar's done its job, I can say thanks and put it away now.

What I prefer to do these days is to set systems and processes in motion, listen to the results, tweak it, guide it... That kind of interaction with an instrument is more pleasing to me now that the way you approach a guitar, or any other "traditional" instrument for that matter. In fact, when I started with modular I made a decision to have no keyboard, so I guess subconsciously the seeds were already sown.

I don't think the guitar's gone forever though. Forever's a long time...
deltaphoenix
I am in the interests/artist tools come and go in phases. Some phases last longer than others.

After years of playing in original bands, doing a couple of shows a month, I was done with that after my last band. Part of the "doneness" was that the band was with friends, we had recorded some great music and were prepared for festival gigs AND the breakup was a little messy.

It was freeing to not have to coordinate and work around other people's schedules. I ended up selling a ton of really bass gear and getting a much simpler set-up so I could go all in with electronic music instead of dabbling.

Over time, I have put back together a pretty nice bass rig, have a bass>midi controller (Peavey CyberBass). I also jam occasionally with some synth buddies and am looking at doing a project or two.

I do clearly remember when I realized I hadn't picked up my bass for more than 5 minutes in a year. Today, I have walked bass back into my life some. I am more interested/passionate about electronic music but there is definitely room for some bass in my life and my music.
gruebleengourd
Plug your guitar into your modular. It's good stuff.
rjungemann
I'm a pianist mostly but I hear folks make ambient with a guitar and it really inspires me. When someone makes a synth-like sound with guitar, I find that more interesting than using a synth for a similar effect. The guitar has the advantage in that you'll never play the same note with the exact same emphasis, vibrato, etc., so there's a built in random or organic aspect to it that I like.

All that said, I've found it difficult to integrate guitar into a modular context. I find the pedal landscape is so vast that there will almost always be a combo of pedals that will get the effect you want, and pedals are cheaper than modules. And of course in-the-box there's so many great tools for processing guitar.

I'm a pretty bad guitarist but I know some box chords and things. I can do ambient but for any "real" guitar playing I record the line as a synth part and go back and practice it on guitar til I can nail it.
motorhead412
Been playing guitar for 18 years and I still consider it my main instrument. Granted, I've only been wiggling for a year or so.

Sure, the electric guitar has been around for a long time now but, it's such a versatile sound generation tool with near-infinite modulation possibilities especially with extended techniques in mind (e.g., de-tuning, pitch bending, natural harmonics, pick tapping/scraping). But then again, I'm one of those dopes who's into poop that most would consider "non-musical."

Side note: It irritates me when other people's first question is: so, you run your guitar through the modular, right? And, i wanna be like: it's its own instrument, buddy! It's so much more than the world's most expensive (and impractical) effects pedal.
mome rath
cptnal wrote:

It's always been on the cards to incorporate guitar into my modular setup since I started nearly two years ago. Being as it were between cases at the moment, I thought I'd hook it up and have a play before the new setup gets properly embedded. And as I sat there strumming away it dawned on me - I don't want to do this. My go-to instrument for thirty years just doesn't interest me any more. Feels strange that something so important for so long now feels like a plank of wood.

I'm going back to guitar a lot more, lately, and completely losing interest in modular oops
Funch
cptnal wrote:

"Frequency modulation synthesis is a form of sound synthesis where the frequency of a waveform, called the carrier, is changed by modulating its frequency with a modulator. The frequency of an oscillator is altered "in accordance with the amplitude of a modulating signal." Wikipedia"

Maybe take a fresh at the guitar as a component of a modular system.

Think of the guitar as a freq modular. A sonicsmith converter+ or Squaver P1 maker a great guitar interface to modular.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3