MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mos-Lab vs. Other (VCAs, Envelopes and Mixers)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Mos-Lab vs. Other (VCAs, Envelopes and Mixers)
intuitionnyc
Hey all,

I have some Mos-Lab gear (set of 921s, 901s and Kobol Oscillators). I was wondering if there was a big difference between Seb's mixers (C3PO), VCAs and Envelope Generators in comparison to say Dot Com, Moon Modular, etc.

Thanks.

Matt B
josaka
cp3 have overdrive past 6 o clock..its what they are famous for.
(I would say the Synth-werk cp3 is slightly nicer..negligible.. )
all the others are pretty straight forward mixers..

Oakley have a reversable 'multi mix' which has a different type of overdrive as does the newish .com Q114.. (but I find Q114 almost unsusable as 'overdrive') its a very flexible and good mixer..as is the less flexible oakley 4 mix..
Synthbuilder
josaka wrote:
Oakley have a reversable 'multi mix' which has a different type of overdrive as does the newish .com Q114.. (but I find Q114 almost unsusable as 'overdrive') its a very flexible and good mixer..as is the less flexible oakley 4 mix..

The Oakley Multimix is a clean mixer and should not add any overdrive until the output clips at +/-13V or so. The Fourmix, however, does have a soft clipping function from it's second output which starts to engage above +/-5V when the green LED comes on. This can be deliberately made to be asymmetrical by using the fourth or third channel pots if nothing is connected to those inputs.

Probably should have some samples of the Fourmix in action... Dead Banana

Tony
kindredlost
I don’t own any Synthwerk modules so I can’t speak to their sound but the Mos Lab C3P0 that I have (and may be an older incarnation) is matched well with the levels of the 901’s and 904 filter. It’s clipping characteristic is similar to the Manhattan Analog CP3 mixer (which is no longer available). The STG Soundlabs mixer has a good overdrive clipping sound as is popularly celebrated here.

I think it is important to consider the signal levels you are working with and the Mos Lab mixer is good to use.

Another mixer which I keep putting off for no good reason is the Krisp1 MU-984 four channel mixer. It is really nice from what I’ve heard of sample tracks.
RussiaZero23
The Manhattan Analog CP3 mixer was replaced with the DTM mixer. It is the Same thing, so still available.

STG sound labs mixer seems to be very good CP3 type mixer but I have no clue how close it gets to an actual CP3 or the Mos-lab/Synthwerk clones.
trentpmcd
I've just started working with Mos-Lab with a bank of 901s and a C3PO - I agree with joska about using the Mos-Labs C3PO over the STG (which I love) because of the levels of the Mos-Lab audio out.

Getting back to the other part of the OP's question, anyone have experience with the VCAs or Envelopes? I have read that VCAs are part of "that Moog sound". Yes? No? And I know envelopes on my 70s keyboard synths feel totally different than my dotcom and Moon envelopes. Do the Mos-Labs have that same feel?
Synthoholic
intuitionnyc wrote:
Hey all,

I have some Mos-Lab gear (set of 921s, 901s and Kobol Oscillators). I was wondering if there was a big difference between Seb's mixers (C3PO), VCAs and Envelope Generators in comparison to say Dot Com, Moon Modular, etc.

Thanks.

Matt B

Mos-lab envelopes are ADRS whereas dotcom is ADSR. This can mess you up a bit if you aren't thinking.

Also, the Linear/Exponential switch on the dotcom VCA didn't do anything that I noticed except it made me have to crank up the gain to get the exact same effect. On the Mos-lab the switch would allow for a super snappy response. All the dotcom stuff was far more noisier than the Moslab too so I purged my system of dotcom voice modules with the intent of replacing them with other manufacturers and I don't miss them at all.

The Moon dual envelope generator is pretty cool but I think mine has a bug that is a little musical. I think it retriggers at a certain stage that allows me to approximate a ratcheting effect. I got it because I confused the retrig for looping but I'm not really disappointed. I just wasn't all that thrilled with Moon in my experience. They really shine if you just have to have a boatload of CV ins (which is always good).

The STG mixer is good but I found it to be a little noisy when you turn the pots but nothing that would have prevented me from buying a second one, only I wanted the CP format.
intuitionnyc
Thank you all for the great replies. I appreciate your insight.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1