MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

General Info - LOGAN SOLOMAN - ENIGMA and DAVID
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author General Info - LOGAN SOLOMAN - ENIGMA and DAVID
LED-man
[img][/img]Here is the official info about ENIGMA, please see read the attached file.

Background:

Jim Soloman and Jammie Logan developed the DAVID project (2600 Modular inspired Synth), ENIGMA is the smaller version - available very soon in DIY and later as factory build version (by Polyfusion).

We try to share the most information in the Introducing Enigma.pdf file.

Status March 2019
We got the potted Modules from the PCB and start very soon the assembly and share more infos here.

Feel free to start with us the alpha build phase !
There are few ALPHA BUILDER Slots available.

Facebook group from LOGAN-SOLOMAN:
FB LOGAN SOLOMAN

FB ENIGMA ALPHA -GROUP

Link to my project site (under construction):
DSL-man ENIGMA project link

I´m under a NDA (non-disclosure-agreement) with the company LOGAN-SOLOMAN since 2017, so i can not share informations which affect the TTSH v4 development.
I´m not hired or paid by Logan-Soloman and still give TTSH Support because SDIY is part of my life.
BugBrand
As someone who has heard a few little mentions of Jammie Logan works coming, and who does not do facebook, I would say that Enigma seems an apt title! I can just about infer what is coming, but there's a general lack of clarity within this intro doc. (eg. No mention of David until it/he is dropped in the PSU section).
Just a little honest feedback! No personal balls in the game.
hox3d
Didn't you have your own take on the 2600 as well?
What about that project?
aquatarkus
Hi Everyone -

I will dip my toe back in the Muff waters here on behalf of Logan Soloman and explain what we have to offer. Just to be upfront - if the snide comments come - either about Jammie or past projects, I will gracefully and respectfully bow out.

We have a great group of people that are very happy with what we are doing in our Alpha group so far and I will be happy to get any references for anyone who is interested in our projects.

Unfortunately, I've had to set some people straight before they bought into the David Alpha group because some bad actors were telling them lies about us and our projects. It is what it is, life goes on.

As Patrick said - we don't pay him, nor does he have any skin in the game. (But full disclosure he may be a retailer in Europe for the DIY kits once they go full retail.) We do have an NDA with him, so he understands how our circuits are different and to let him know about future projects. In fact his 5U filter is basically our design. Jammie helped a TON with that filter - which is why we know that our 4012 already works.

Patrick did prod us to do a similar size replacement for the TTSH, especially after he and Steve built our oscillators. He nudged us to come back here as well. He's right, it's only fair that we give everyone a crack at this, and I know not everyone uses Facebook...so here goes:

We have TWO DIY projects going on right now. One is called David, and one is called Enigma.

****The Alpha groups are limited on both projects. We are about half full on both****

Once Alpha is full that is it we are not taking any more people. We have about 2 more DIY projects up our sleeve left that will be available to everyone - We will offer our DIY projects indefinitely. But no more new ones after Enigma and those last two, only factory build for us.

So for our 2500, etc. - only Alpha people will be able to build it. Alpha folks get a crack at most of our synths EXCEPT Polyfusion. Ron Folkman won't allow that after everything that has happened.

Here are clips of the oscillators that will be used in both Enigma and David:

Square:

Saw:

That oscillator was by Steve Sommers and it uses our 4027-2 sub module. We have played these videos for artists who have put their stamp of approval on them as far as them being dead on for the character of the original synth.

Patrick has heard our filter and can attest that nothing else sounds like it. So from a sound standpoint we've reached our goals, which is very rewarding.

We do have physical PCBs in hand. I will be shipping Enigma Alpha Phase I starting next week after the Swage pins get here and David Phase II shipping will be in a couple weeks as there was a delay at the PCB fab.

David -

David is a modular version of the famous semi-modular synth. We took each component that makes up the synth and broke them out into modules. Once thing we did, was keep the circuitry to allow you to normal each module so you don't have to use patch cords to use the synth. We left all of the boxes blank on the panels so you can normal the synth how you want. Jammie always disliked how they had one saw and one sine wave going into the Ring Mod. So for Jammie, he will normal 2 sine waves into the Ring Mod.

David uses every sub module of the original machine. In fact, our sub modules are being sold separately and can be used as direct replacements in the vintage synths for repair.

Current lineup of David modules is:
Ring Mod/Pre Amp
VCO1, VCO2, VCO3
4012 Filter
Envelope
VCA
8 Channel Mixer (For 8 voices)
Dual S&H
Dual Noise
Dual Voltage Processors
Dual Reverb Tanks (For true stereo reverb)

Once people have a working synth in Alpha we will slow down and do about 1 module a month and these will round out the "basic" system:

4023 Filter
4034 Filter
4035 Filter
4072 Filter
Power Module
MIDI
Phaser
Chorus
Dual Cross Ping Pong Delay

After the core synth is done here is what we have in the hopper:

20 Band Vocoder based on 2600 sub modules and circuits (4019, Envelope follower, etc.)
Complex Waveshaper
Dual Joystick Controller (think analog Prophet VS)
1047 filter
and so much more.

A couple things about our modules:

All oscillators have Rolling Sync. (Patrick has heard it and can explain what the sound is). Basically you can sync any wave from any oscillator to any other waveform in any other oscillator.

Filters -
We've added CV control for resonance.
3 extra CV input/sliders
Overdrive

Envelope -
Added new ranges for new envelope responses .5X, 1X, 10X and 100X
4 added outputs - inverted and normal
2 VC velocity sliders

VCA
Added Soft Sat Clip and Bass Boost sliders that feed into an Overdrive that is controlled with its own slider. VCA can operate originally or with these added features
Additional outputs added - inverted and normal
Added inverted and non inverted inputs
Added extra linear and expo control inputs

S&H
Uses 2 4015-2 sub modules

Noise
Uses 2 4022 sub modules

VP
CV control and 2 sets of active mults

PSU - we have our own PSU PCB and David has an IEC connector and works in any country

Additional notes:
The dual noise has CV crossfade and CV level controls. A gate booster has been designed from scratch so David will work with MIDI Keyboards using 2 notes or the 3620. Two Reverb tanks. David is named for David and Goliath, not David Friend. Yes, there will be a Goliath in a couple of years.

We are estimating that you can build David for between 3K and 3500. Retail will be much more than that.

Once Alpha is closed/full - David will NOT be DIY ever again. PCB colors will change so people will know the difference between factory built and Alpha. Polyfusion (Same company that is re-issuing the Series 2000 modular) will be manufacturing for us.

Enigma -

Enigma is Daivd's little brother. It uses ALL of David's sub modules (4012-2,4014-2,4015-2,4019-2,4020-2,4018 waveshaper,4027-2,4072, 4-1, etc. etc.) And it is made up of 5 mother boards: Board 1-RM/Pre Amp, Board 2 - Oscillators, Board 3 - Filter, Board 4 - Envelope, VCA, Mixer, Board 5 - Voltage processor, noise, etc.) This uses NONE of the TTSH circuits, it is completely different.

It is not complex to build. Everything is in sub modules and Mother boards just like the original. Very easy. Take your time and you will nail it first try.

Enigma is in the form factor that you know. We have designed a case that was inspired from the original Blue systems. Enigma Alpha comes with PCBs, Case, Panel. Additionally we are offering Reverb tanks, Speakers, and Rare parts - Alpha guys just have to buy their resistors, caps, Trannies that are available at mouser, and op amps.

We've already listened to people that have joined Enigma Alpha. We had a request for and upside down case and LED functionality. SO - we flipped the case and you can now get Enigma in an upside down format where The voltage processor and speakers are on top and all of the modules are on the bottom. You can now have ANY color LED placed ANYWHERE in the synth. No more hacking.

We have dual footprints on most of the boards. We recommend you use the LM101AH metal cans - but if you want to use cheaper 301s - by all means - go ahead.

Oscillators - All of Enigma Oscillators use 4027-2 Sub Modules AND 4018 waveshapers (Board 2-1 on the schematics). All oscillators have rolling sync like David. So basically you get Three VCO 2s.

Filters -
Enigma has 2 filters. 4012 & 4072. They are BOTH on board 3. You can use them both without switching out sub modules. There is a switch like the Karp Oddy where you can switch between filters. Also - at the recommendation of David Morely we added a High Pass filter in series with the low pass filter so you can get that nice roland-ish sound. There is a switch to bypass it so you don't have to use it. When you want to engage it, just throw the switch.

Envelopes -
We added the same gate booster that David has - so works with duophonic keyboards. We have added ranges - .5X, 1X, 10X. There was not enough room for 100x

Enigma has Dual Reverb tanks for stereo reverb

Enigma has similar power supply as David. Works in any country and has IEC cord.

Sub Module tester PCB is in the works for people that like to build for others.

The extra cutouts you see in the back of the case are upgrades from standard units.

One is for MIDI. One is for Sowter transformer / XLR outs.

Enigma will have 5U expansion modules. It will get versions of David modules like the vocoder, and other modules with less functionality of David to keep them separated a bit.

PCBs for Alpha Enigma are $710. Case is (we think) $400. We have Speakers, Rare parts, and reverb tanks for Sale. We used a specific speaker that is 32Ω.

So if you made it this far...Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions I will do my best to answer. Panel Color is not final yet - it will not, can not be Grey and White/Black with Orange boxes white lettering.

We kept the CORE sound of the instrument and took the controls and circuits forward. Design is pretty much final at this point, unless a recommendation/request won't delay us any longer.

Enigma will be fully manufactured at Polyfusion and we will make it available in DIY as well (probably different color PCBs). We are thinking full kits at this point. Both will be available through our E commerce store we won't be going through other retailers ATM.

Thanks PM if interested.

Jim
aquatarkus
Apparently I don't know how to embed YouTube videos hmmm.....

Copy and paste into your browser to see those. Sorry!
aquatarkus
Also - we have people like Steve Sommers and Patrick building for other people in Alpha - so that can secure your spot as well.
Reality Checkpoint
aquatarkus wrote:

Square:

Saw:

thumbs up
aquatarkus
Reality Checkpoint
It's peanut butter jelly time! we're not worthy
lasesentaysiete
Thanks for the information!

aquatarkus wrote:

So for our 2500, etc. - only Alpha people will be able to build it.

Sorry, but I am confused about which (if any) project is the 2500. Is it Enigma or David? Or another not named, yet?
aquatarkus
lasesentaysiete

After David and Enigma are done, Next year we have a 1:1 2500 replica coming out. We have re-engineered the cherry switches and everything. Someone sent us their extra cherry matrix to tear apart and we reversed it and made it better - no cross talk. Once David and Enigma are off the ground and Running - we will let Alpha folks build our 2500 replica and then go retail with it.

Besides Polyfusion, we hooked up with another famous designer that you all know and love. Before we release that synth, Alpha folks will get the opportunity to DIY build that synth as well.

Just need a small group of dedicated enthusiasts to help with ideas etc. Like in the case of Enigma when some Alpha folks had some great ideas and we implemented them to make the LED situation better.

So Alpha is our way of building a small community.
lasesentaysiete
aquatarkus

Excellent! thanks for clarifying.
sduck
aquatarkus wrote:
Apparently I don't know how to embed YouTube videos hmmm.....

Fixed it. It's weird. You need to delete the s from the https: at the front of the link.

Thanks for all the info! And happy to be in the enigma alpha!
diophantine
aquatarkus wrote:
... we will let Alpha folks build our 2500 replica and then go retail with it.

Will the "retail" 2500 be DIY or finished modules or both?
aquatarkus
diophantine

The Retail model of the 2500 will be Finished only. Not DIY.

As I said we have two projects after Enigma that will be DIY. Enigma and those two projects will always be available DIY and available to everyone. After that, Jammie and I are getting into fully manufactured only.

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression about our Alpha groups. They're not an exclusive club to gloat and look down at others (Haha you're not in Alpha). No. Our theory behind the limited Alpha group is to get about 75/80 sets of eyes on our stuff before it goes into production. We thought it would be cool to reward people for that help. So, for example, David guys are getting a production synth at roughly half the cost by doing it DIY, and no one else will be able to get that. Plus they will have the synth well before anyone else while we ramp up for production. We have a sound design guy in the David Alpha group - he works with the big film studios. He'll have access to David before any other studio...it's pretty neat. And even though it's "Alpha" we are delivering quality products for people in this stage. So it's a synth that they can be proud of.

It really does help to get others' eyes and suggestions to make the synth better as we've seen in Enigma Alpha and David Alpha. That is our whole motivation for the limited group. Better synths in the end for the retail market and in Enigma's case it will be a better DIY synth for everyone that wants it. I don't think we ever would have thought about an inverted case that you can stack on top of the regular case. I don't think we would've gone the lengths that we did to help one Enigma member with his LED request...we just weren't thinking about it that way.

So now ALL DIYers benefit in the end since they won't have to hack their PCBs to have alternating LED colors, or matching colors in different areas of the synth where the synth is normalled.

We felt that if the group got too big, then you have buckshot coming at you in the way of ideas and we'll just never be able to make the perfect synth for anyone. With a limited group with people who are invested, suggestions become easier to manage and seem to be more thoughtful.
aquatarkus
sduck

Thanks for fixing! w00t

This is what my life looks like this week after I get back from visiting EMEAPP this weekend! Will be shipping your modules to you soon...

Dead Banana
tobb
aquatarkus wrote:

The Retail model of the 2500 will be Finished only. Not DIY.

As I said we have two projects after Enigma that will be DIY. Enigma and those two projects will always be available DIY and available to everyone. After that, Jammie and I are getting into fully manufactured only.

So if i understand well, to be able to built a 2500 in kit form we are forced to buy the David and Enigma kits to be able to join the Alpha group?
guitarfool
aquatarkus wrote:
Hi Everyone -

****The Alpha groups are limited on both projects. We are about half full on both****

Once Alpha is full that is it we are not taking any more people. We have about 2 more DIY projects up our sleeve left that will be available to everyone - We will offer our DIY projects indefinitely. But no more new ones after Enigma and those last two, only factory build for us.

So for our 2500, etc. - only Alpha people will be able to build it.

Jim

Not trying to be snide, but from this I cannot tell if the 2500 will be available DIY or not, and if so, if you have to join the Alpha group and build an Enigma and/or David before you can get the 2500 (or anything else). Or is there a separate Alpha group for the 2500 and Goliath? Or is the 2500 one of the 2 projects that will be available to everyone?

I like what you're doing with the David - going for a reasonable size! I am not satisfied with my TTSH - with its tiny slide switches especially.
sanders
That oscillator sounds amazing.

Does one have to buy every kit to be an Alpha dog (read: not snide)?

what is the minimum requirement of members?
aquatarkus
Sorry for the delayed response, just getting back from visiting EMEAPP in Philly. Holy smokes if you get the chance to go there - DO IT!! They have everything there - it's a complete synthgasm. Just WOW!!

tobb
No one is forcing anyone to do anything. We have about half the spots in each filled up and no one has be forced to join. It's just a perk we are throwing out there for people that have supported us in our early stages as a HUGE thank you to them.

guitarfool
Thanks for your question. No, the 25xx (or whatever it will be called) will be a fully manufactured synth only.

We have two more DIY projects after Enigma that will be available to EVERYONE. After that all of our synths will be manufactured only...just following our dreams of being a bona fide synth manufacturer.

Let me sum up Alpha again - as a thank you for believing in Logan Soloman in this early stage of either Enigma or David we are creating a group of Alpha users that has some perks. Just imagine if you could have built a Moog One, a Sequential Prophet 6, Oberheim OB-XA, Minimoog (or in our case a Logan Soloman XXXX) before everyone else had one. Everyone wins here. We get a number of people using the synth and giving us feedback before it goes into production. In return people can build high-quality, cool synths at discounted prices and will have a unique/special version of our manufactured synths.

We just want to try a fresh new idea when it comes to manufacturing synths. Can you dig that? Building this Alpha group with Enigma and David saves us the headache of getting new people every time we develop a new manufactured synth. Having a core group of enthusiastic builders who really love and want our synths is our goal.

I'm sure not every single person will build every synth we make. But with a nice sized group we will always have a good number of people using our new synths and giving feedback before we go into full production.

Enigma uses the same 45mm sliders (I can hear you saying BOOOOOOO).

David uses 60mm sliders for finer control.

sanders

Thank you for the compliment, we worked really hard on trying to get the sound correct in those oscillators.

Nope - Once in Alpha you don't have to build every single synth we produce. That's why we want a large enough sample size of fans of our synths. We figure there will be people that won't build every single synth as fast as we can pump them out. But if half do, or 3/4 do then we have a nice base of vested folks to receive feedback. (Again, as an example: In Enigma someone had a great suggestion about the LED circuits and flipping the case upside down - we listened and implemented both) It's great feedback (along with artist feedback)

We're hoping that people will build at least 1 synth a year in Alpha. If they stop building we can have a chat to see if they want to be in Alpha anymore. That seems fair to me.

How many times in life/business will you please EVERY person?? It's not a perfect idea, but it's just our idea - we thought it was interesting, unique, and fun. I'm sure there's a fair number of people who think it's stupid. Fortunately, we have a good number of people that have already supported us early and are really excited about the opportunity.

We are just trying to think outside the box regarding our pipeline of planned synths outside the realm of DIY.
tobb
aquatarkus wrote:

tobb
No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

We get a number of people using the synth and giving us feedback before it goes into production. In return people can build high-quality, cool synths at discounted prices and will have a unique/special version of our manufactured synths.

Ok, So can i join the Alpha group to be able to secure a position on the list just to get the 2500 kit?
Virusinstaller
The PDF is a good read, makes this pretty exciting build. Really looking forward to when this comes out and hearing some demos. The improvements sound swish!
aquatarkus
Virusinstaller

Thank You!
ishi
tobb wrote:

Ok, So can i join the Alpha group to be able to secure a position on the list just to get the 2500 kit?

If I understand it correctly:

"No, the 25xx (or whatever it will be called) will be a fully manufactured synth only."
ishi
Sorry, too fast myself. The document clearly states:

"One of the major projects we are doing next year is the big brother, the 25xx. That will be a retail synth only. But for those that built Enigma Alpha or David Alpha – they will have the opportunity to build it DIY which will be a massive cost saver. That’s only about 80 people."
tobb
I got a message in PM from aquatarcus stating the next things:

To join the Alpha group, you need to buy either the DIY Enigma or DIY David.

You can't be an Alpha Builder just for the 2500,it does not work like that. You can't just get a spot to build the 2500. There are too many other folks who have joined and paid for Alpha or David.

So you indeed are forced to buy Enigma or David to be able to buy the 2500 Diy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3