MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY dotcom "flying bus-board"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author DIY dotcom "flying bus-board"
HowDoIKnow
Hi

I have successfully used these fellows:

3-647000-6

to make extensions to dotcom power cables to reach far flung modules in my system (so as not to have to cut the socket off the cable and join more wire).
I have enough power in my source for a few more modules, but have run out of cables/sockets on the power harness. Is there any reason not to use a 3-647000-6 as the start of a "flying bus-board" a la FUUUCCKKKK!!!, with a few of these:

3-640621-6

pass-through versions of the dotcom-power socket? (The pictures for the TE catalogue does not show them very well, but I believe they were used by JLR in the (sticky) thread on power cable format converters above.)

Thanks

hdik
JohnLRice
One of my favorite subjects! hihi

While you "could" make a flying bus this way, I think there are better ways to do it. One problem is that using a flying bus with all female connectors is cumbersome to connect to modules, especially if each module's power headers aren't at the same height and all orientated vertically etc. Plus there are power concerns running several to many modules all off of a single 24 AWG wire but I wont attempt to go into that and will leave it to people more qualified! hihi

What you might consider doing if you really want to try making a flying buss is to make it with all male in-line connectors and then use short to medium long power cables with a female connector on each end. I'm pretty sure that MTA-100 male in-line connectors with pass-through don't exist, but you "could" use the closed end ones and modify them into pass through connectors by snipping open the closed area as needed. While this can work it's not recommended since the snipped open side wont have the little barbs that help hold the wire in place. There ARE MTA-156 male in-line connectors with pass-through though and you could use those and make MTA-156 to MTA-100 power cables to use with it. The 6 pin ones are very hard to find, I think this is one but nobody seems to stock them:
https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-3-644814-6.html#pdp-docs-features
but if you don't need a +5v rail you could go with 4 pin ones which are stocked:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connecto rs/3-641524-4/A113540-ND/1861943

All that said, have you considered just adding a little distro board like the ones Analog Craftsman sells? cool
http://analogcraftsman.com/?product=acbus#tab-description
HowDoIKnow
Thanks John - I knew I could rely on you! SlayerBadger!

I did consider a distro board, but the P&P to Brexit-land is a bit steep and I already have plenty of the 3-647000-6's left, and lots of wire. As you have not written my idea off totally I will probably make up 4 extension cables with a pass-through in each of them, making several short 'flying bus-boards" with plenty of slack!

Cheers

hdik
Eric the Red
HDIK,

You can always get the Oakley distro board: http://www.oakleysound.com/dizzy-mu.htm
JohnLRice
HowDoIKnow wrote:
Thanks John - I knew I could rely on you! SlayerBadger!

I did consider a distro board, but the P&P to Brexit-land is a bit steep and I already have plenty of the 3-647000-6's left, and lots of wire. As you have not written my idea off totally I will probably make up 4 extension cables with a pass-through in each of them, making several short 'flying bus-boards" with plenty of slack!
thumbs up thumbs up You could make a couple flying bus extension cables like you are thinking of with a male in-line header and a few pass-through female connectors and then instead of plugging the flying bus directy into modules you could make little single extension cables to connect the modules to the flying bus, sort of like this only longer with the correct connectors:
HowDoIKnow
Eric the Red wrote:
HDIK,

You can always get the Oakley distro board: http://www.oakleysound.com/dizzy-mu.htm

Hmmm, that was a solution I did consider early on but discounted it for some reason - I think I was fixated on the "flying bus-board" option. I'll query Tony on the Oakley sub-forum.

Thanks Eric,

hdik
HowDoIKnow
I ended up getting a second-hand harness and Q103 from a fellow wiggler.

What intrigued me was when I looked in more detail into Rogers method of power distribution - basically wiring 20/40 strands together under a 'wire nut'. This seems to be a very large number of wires per nut, as most of the electrical DIY sites say no more than 6 is each nut! However, Roger must know what he is doing....

As I am planning another cabinet extension I might use a combination of Rogers harness and remove some cables and use Tony's Dizzy power distribution board.

hdik
JohnLRice
HowDoIKnow wrote:
What intrigued me was when I looked in more detail into Rogers method of power distribution - basically wiring 20/40 strands together under a 'wire nut'. This seems to be a very large number of wires per nut, as most of the electrical DIY sites say no more than 6 is each nut! However, Roger must know what he is doing....
I think the wire nut mainly acts as an insulator, and also adds a little strength, since the wire are all soldered together . . .at least in the one I took apart once.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1