MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What to do??? Sell 5U for Moog Voyager???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What to do??? Sell 5U for Moog Voyager???
intuitionnyc
Ugh.....I'm having one of those moments. I'm thinking of selling off my Mos-Lab 5U to fund a Moog Voyager Rackmount. Am I crazy???
hamildad
the Sine waves are always cleaner on the other side...

sad banana
Synthoholic
For a Voyager it might not be worth it. A Model D would be more tempting because of the similarities in tone to his 921bs. Or the Buchla easel.

It looks like a Voyager buyer's market right now.

What about the Voyager specifically? (You'd need the 351-2 perhaps also if you still had other outboard cv gear.)
Synthbuilder
I had a Voyager. It was an original Big Briar keyboard and it didn't take me long to realise there were several things about it I didn't like. So I modded mine and passed that information onto Moog. I think some of things I suggested may have made it into later versions.

But I still sold it after a couple of years. I just preferred the sound of my 5U and having more than two modulation busses.

Tony
thevegasnerve
well you aren't crazy for thinking about doing that. But if you love the Mos-lab system you have, then it would be crazy to sell it as re-creating could be tougher than finding a Voyager... What instruments we end up connecting with is personal and based on many factors.. I love my Eventide Pitchfactor and Moog Murf and Clusterflux to bits.. I love my Grendel Drone too.. No piece of modular can replace what they mean to me. I cant sing or play guitar with any degree of expression, so these instruments (and pedals are instruments) are my voices..
ranix
sounds crazy to me
intuitionnyc
The main reasons for me contemplating this:

1) I purchased a bunch of modules from Mos-Lab and also purchased a Dot Com 44 space cabinet. Due to my lack of research, the Mos-Lab modules don’t fit in the bottom row of the case. So I am now selling my case. In order to re-use the Mos-Lab modules, I will need to get a new case.

2) The case I would need to house the modules would be big. A big case would likely take up room and thus the case would not be in front of me when I work. I like having things in arm’s length when I work. I COULD put the case on an angled stand to have right next to me though.

3) MIDI to CV. I am using a Dot Com MIDI to CV module and the response time is not great for me. There are some hiccups here and there (a note doesnt register or a gate gets stuck. I’m a bit anal when it comes to MIDI control.

4) The Voyager saves presets which would be nice for me.

5) Voyager can fit in a rack next to me on my desk.

6) I don’t think I need or want THAT many mod sources.

7) I like the sound of the Voyager. However, I like the sound of the Mos-Lab better. IMO, it is a bit richer tonally.

I may get a Voyager RME and see how I like it. I can’t see prices getting too much lower unless Moog comes out with a new Voyager. If I find myself missing the MosLab sound then maybe I keep a small section of the system.
Maybe get rid of the 901 set and a few other pieces. Dunno.
levelhead3
sidecar for the mos-lab stuff sounds like a happy solution, regardless of whether you end up going for the rme.

might want to check out other midi-cv modules first too?
JohnLRice
levelhead3 wrote:
sidecar for the mos-lab stuff sounds like a happy solution, regardless of whether you end up going for the rme.
thumbs up Maybe get the Voyager rack mount and also get a DotCom or Analog Craftsman 8 MU rack mount frame (or two? hihi ) to put your most favorite Mos-Lab modules in the same rack as the Voyager? Seems like that would be a pretty versatile and beefy when you need it system? hyper
intuitionnyc
JohnLRice wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
thumbs up Maybe get the Voyager rack mount and also get a DotCom or Analog Craftsman 8 MU rack mount frame (or two? hihi ) to put your most favorite Mos-Lab modules in the same rack as the Voyager? Seems like that would be a pretty versatile and beefy when you need it system? hyper

You see.....this is why I come to you gents!!! Pure genius!!!
bwhittington
Since you like the sound of both, if value is part of the equation, I’d probably pick an RME over $1600 of Moslab, or even a basic Moslab voice, since you wouldn’t have enough options to really feel constrained by the RME’s fixed architecture.

I would take a studio 44 case of *any* modules over an RME. Many more options in that, obviously. I’d have to really want patch recall and compactness to go for the RME (which are still two good reasons to go that way).
thevegasnerve
intuitionnyc wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:

You see.....this is why I come to you gents!!! Pure genius!!!

but you have to get a Voyager with keys, its so perfect looking!! Best looking synth I never owned but wished I had.
intuitionnyc
This is essentially what I have in 5U:

921 Oscillator Set with Driver Module
901 Oscillator Set with Driver Module
Kobol Oscillator Set
904A LPF
904B HPF
904C Filter Coupler
914 Fixed Filter Bank
902 VCA x 2
911 EG x 2
995 Attenuators
924 LFO
Q122 Mini Jack Interface
Q174 MIDI Interface
Q175 MIDI Interface Aid

Was thinking of getting a custom case like below. But the case would probably cost me a bit. Also, not sure if I need 901s and 921s set. Thoughts? I'm thinking keeping all this and getting a Voyager RME is redundant in a lot of ways.

josaka
yea do it.. I will take a kobol or 2..

are they the old 2 power connector one..?
intuitionnyc
The Kobols are one thing that I will not part with. Sorry.
josaka
ha .. smile I have 4 .. I know the feeling MY ASS IS BLEEDING thumbs up
are yours the old(left2) or new (right2) ?

Funch
Keep in mind that the Voyager has modulation capabilities beyond just the 2 mod buses if you don't mind a little menu diving.

Also helps to have a midi controller with assignable midi control change numbers.

For example I use a boss RC 300 Looper pedal that can have up to three expression pedals or a combination of pedals and switches with multiple assignable midi CC numbers that can access just about every knob function to modulate at will.

Also you can do stuff like send sustain CC# from an assignable switch.

That Midi stream is then merged with the midi note on/off , pitch, velocity, excetera and into my Voyager RME.

Voyager is a very goid synth, but it would be a tough choice though to give up your modular system for one.
kindredlost
Let me be the first to get banned...

I recently bought a Behringer D (the Boog) and it made me sick with mixed feelings. I wanted to laugh at the size of it but the sound created a flashback for me to the 70's when I played a Model D. It truly does have the sound along with the bonus of patch points and a limited modulation matrix. Pretty hard to pass up for the money and rack mountable. You could always flip it if it doesn't suit you and find out if a "Moog in the rack" is right for you before parting out the Mos Lab (which I could never do).

OK, t3h 8@nz3r@t3d
boothnavy
kindredlost wrote:

OK, t3h 8@nz3r@t3d

not this shit again you kids get off my lawn hihi
intuitionnyc
josaka wrote:
ha .. smile I have 4 .. I know the feeling MY ASS IS BLEEDING thumbs up
are yours the old(left2) or new (right2) ?

It's a good question. I will check tonight about which ones I have.

I think the answer right now for me is to sell my cabinet and store the Mos-Lab stuff. Then, get a Voyager RME. If I find myself missing the Mos-Lab stuff, I can look into getting a cabinet made (or sidecar rack). If I am not missing the Mos-Lab, I can always sell it.

I've just had seller's remorse on a lot of gear that I've sold. It is not stuff that I am devastated about selling, but I wish I wasn't so hasty in my decisions. I think this will be a good way to see if I would really miss my Mos-Lab without risk.

Now, just gotta find the funds for an RME. hihi d'oh!

I can't thank everyone enough for helping me out here. There were some great suggestions that helped me come to this decision. Thank you!

kindredlost wrote:
Let me be the first to get banned...

He's a witch! BURN HIM!!!! Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana

Just kidding. In all seriousness, the Boog does sound very good. I think it is about 90-95% there in comparison to a Model D. However, IMO, I always thought the 5U modular stuff always sounded a lot bigger to me.
josaka
the boog thing.. from what I have seen.. not one person has talked about the harmonics and tone.. boog sounds good.. yep and for the money.. great..
but its like why people want old desks ..and valves in particular there are warmer harmonics..
the number of side by side demos of boog vs moog plus many other old synths where a guy is standing there going..'they sound identical' .. I just shake my head.. seriously, i just don't get it
intuitionnyc
I don't disagree regarding the Boog.
You can put a Model D and Boog on an oscilloscope and show me the waves are the same. You can play some stuff side-by-side and show me how similar they sound. To me though, it comes down to two things:

1) There is that extra bit of difference. That 10% of harmonics and tone between the two. I'm not usually one to make that big of a stink over 10%, but in this case, it means a lot to me.

2) The whole feel and layout of an instrument. A Mos-Lab system or Voyager is a nice machine to sit behind. There is a craftsmanship there that is lovely in comparison to the Boog.

It just depends on how much of a premium that you want to pay for those two things. Me, personally, I don't want to pay the crazy premiums you see a Model 15 reissue for. I do think the Model D reissue price and Voyager secondhand prices are reasonable though.

Just my opinion.
josaka
those differences are the difference between say why one tube is cheap and one expensive the same reason people pay loads for a 'nice' desk or bit of outboard.. no one even mentions it re old vs new synths..
RussiaZero23
I have the Moog Minimoog Reissue, a Vintage Minimoog D and The Boog. I would say its closer then the 10% if you spend the time to really dial it in.

More like missing the last 5% and you can not dial it via Knob position it has to be by ear. Some patches can be replicated with the Boog and match the other 2 Mini's and some others It just can not get there, just falls short.

I would say its like having a Minimoog D that can only do Certain patches just like a Mini, and for the other patches that it falls short I use the real deal.

But the price says its a no brainier. Ergonomics sucks compared to 5U or The real Mini but this is about sound. 5% loss and missing some patches for that price seems good to me.

Voyager RME is something different. If you need patchs then that's the best option for a Moog synth (not a Model D with patches) with recall.
josaka
of the new moogs.. (havent touched a grandmother) the sub 37 is easily my favourite.. never liked the voyager.. and its waay expensive.. havent even considered buying any new moogs though.. have my Synthwerk banks for that..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2