MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tyme Sefari 2 alternatives?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Tyme Sefari 2 alternatives?
kineticturtle
I'm very seriously considering the Tyme Sefari Mk 2 and I'm trying to do my due diligence in researching alternatives.

I'm less interested in granular synthesis and more interested in an audio buffer with a wide range of possibilities of complex control over how the buffer is navigated, mostly for "performance", meaning both live performance and performing layers in recording.

I've used my Count to 5 pedal (which I love) for similar effects but I'd like a version that can be controlled by an envelope follower, for example.

I've eliminated Phonogene from the lineup (too short an audio buffer)
I've also eliminated Clouds (I have it and it's wonderful but it takes up too much psychological real estate in my tiny system)
I haven't fully researched the Mungo g0 (which seems kindof obtuse?) and I know that Nebulae is much more focused on granular synthesis. Thoughts?

ALSO - for anyone who has a TSmkII, do we have confirmation/denial that the original SoT expansion (the 3u one) works with the MkII? I don't have room for an 8u expansion in my tiny rack but I'd like to have the switchable pitch control.
xthrasherx
I don’t have one, so I can’t a lot of these questions, but I’d suggest you also post in the Harvestman sub forum. You may get a faster response on the SOT expansion question.
hemeroscopium
cocoquantus from ciat
sb
Don’t write off the g0....it’s really not that hard. Coupled with something like a C3 knob recorder to record navigation of the buffer it’s pretty powerful.
arfo
I don't think SoT mk1 will work with TS mk2. At least that's what I vaguely remember from when the mk2 was introduced.

Also you might want to have a look at the Reflex Liveloop. It seems to be capable of all kinds of stuff.
Jumbuktu
kineticturtle wrote:

I've eliminated Phonogene from the lineup (too short an audio buffer)

You didn't mention the Morphagene. Very long buffer times, can save (and load) multiple buffers, stereo, lots of extra features and capable of insane variations.

FWIW, I had a TS mark 2 (briefly) and it didn't gel with me. YMMV.
kineticturtle
erenod wrote:
cocoquantus from ciat

1. Yeah, I wish!
2. I definitely want to keep this within Eurorack.
Great suggestion though, those things are pretty wonderful.
kineticturtle
sb wrote:
Don’t write off the g0....it’s really not that hard. Coupled with something like a C3 knob recorder to record navigation of the buffer it’s pretty powerful.

I definitely haven't written it off - I'm just having trouble finding good info and examples of how it really works... I guess I just need to watch MORE YOUTUBE VIDEOS
kineticturtle
arfo wrote:
Also you might want to have a look at the Reflex Liveloop. It seems to be capable of all kinds of stuff.

I have to admit I've been avoiding this one because it just... looks really ugly. I admit it seems like it could do what I want and much more, so I'll spend some time on it, thank you!
kineticturtle
Jumbuktu wrote:
You didn't mention the Morphagene. Very long buffer times, can save (and load) multiple buffers, stereo, lots of extra features and capable of insane variations.

That's true, partly I think because all the demos - I swear all the demos - are focused on how to get granular synthesis out of it. Maybe I'm just finding the wrong demos?
mritenburg
The Tyme Sefari II is cool if you want a lo-fI, low Rez, glitchy sampler. I have one and won't sell it, but it is severely limited next to some of the newer options that have adjustable sample rates so you can do lo-fi, low Rez stuff when you want, but also allow for pristine sample playback. Also, the Tyme Sefari can only store one sample in its memory versus, say the BitBox that can read large SD memory cards full of samples.
xthrasherx
mritenburg wrote:
The Tyme Sefari II is cool if you want a lo-fI, low Rez, glitchy sampler. I have one and won't sell it, but it is severely limited next to some of the newer options that have adjustable sample rates so you can do lo-fi, low Rez stuff when you want, but also allow for pristine sample playback. Also, the Tyme Sefari can only store one sample in its memory versus, say the BitBox that can read large SD memory cards full of samples.

Obviously can’t speak for the OP, but that’s precisely the appeal of the Tyme Sefari (mkI or mkII) for me... and also the reason I have held off on obtaining one to date hihi

I use my Gotharman LD2 to cover that ground and more, plus with the anaX expansion, it plays really nicely with Eurorack. Still, the simplicity of the TS is really, really tempting (in terms of what it does, no comment on interface).
Jumbuktu
kineticturtle wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:

That's true, partly I think because all the demos - I swear all the demos - are focused on how to get granular synthesis out of it. Maybe I'm just finding the wrong demos?

Try these:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/jumbuktu/airwaves[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/jumbuktu/were-the-young-generation[/s]

Not saying they are particularly good, but they show something more in the line of (a) staright sample playback and slicing and (b) messing with time and sample rate.
kineticturtle
Wow thanks everybody for all the suggestions, info, and input! It's a lot of information to process which means...

SPREADSHEET TIME w00t
here's my attempt to gather everything in one place

now thanks to y'all I'm leaning towards the g0 or the Reflex LiveLoop
They're both ugly as sin, but the g0 has a greyscale panel that's good looking and much clearer about what everything does. But WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE? I can't quite figure it out.

The liveloop just.... does everything! The organization of the panel is just bizarre though - that's the tradeoff I guess for fitting so much in a relatively small space!
kineticturtle
And I should say, the thing that started to draw me to the g0 is the same thing that originally drew me to the Tyme Sefari, that it feels more modular in spirit, it's just a straightforward buffer, and it expects you to provide whatever other functionality you want on your own - even more so with th eg- than with the TSII

It's a lot to think about. The Reflex is more a "complete looper" but it's still very patchable. That's definitely where I'm leaning right now.
natureclubcassettes
keep in mind that for the g0 you will also want a zoom control and probably a storage strip, which are not produced any more. that's gonna make an already expensive module a little bit more expensive.

that reflex module is definitely ugly as sin. surprised that no one mentioned the sampleslicer, i feel there is a lot of overlap there.

otherwise, do you think that these additional modules are going to scratch the itch you initially had for a TSMKII/SoT? I've always thought these would be a really fun and immediate processing combo. none of the other modules mentioned really feel that way...
peripatitis
Mungo has some very nice sounding modules but the interface is very badly designed. It will probably wear you down in the end, as it has most of us smile
Btw the knobs can save their state through the midi bus without the need for the storage strip and this seems to be the way forward with mungo modules since the new versions follow the same approach.
The s0 is also an alternative to the g0 .
fwheel
kineticturtle wrote:
erenod wrote:
cocoquantus from ciat

1. Yeah, I wish!
2. I definitely want to keep this within Eurorack.
Great suggestion though, those things are pretty wonderful.

I actually sold my TS once, then regretted and bought it back soon and used it actively for a few years.

I would never have dropped it out of my system, but once I purchased the Coco I quite quickly sold the Tyme and haven't looked back since. Cocoquantus is SlayerBadger! and in addition to the looping side I also use it as a end of the chain compressor – it beautifully crunches my disparate eurorack signals together.
starthief
I love the way Tyme Sefari mk2 is designed, in terms of usage. It's simple and just has the one buffer, which is a benefit. It can chameleon between looper, delay, sampler etc. on the fly via patching. But it's stuck with a low sample rate. Sometimes that's fantastic, with or without a filter after it. Sometimes you just want to keep things clean, though.

Other possibilities:

W/: this is what I had first. It struck me as very much set in its tape loop paradigm, but complicated by the cue system. I also felt the relative lack of CV inputs and controls worked against how I wanted to use it. But it sounds gorgeous.

4ms DLD: it seems excellent but isn't quite up to the TS where it comes to flexibility. I probably could have been happy with it, though.

Morphagene: it honestly just doesn't appeal to me; the paradigm isn't how I wanted to work.

Reflex LiveLoop: it's very busy-looking, hard to understand at a glance... harder to understand after reading over the website. A lot of the terminology is non-standard and it's got lots of different modes (some of them hidden). It beats the TS for sound quality and features but I wasn't sure I really wanted to use it.

ER-301: this is where I wound up. Kind of the extreme answer, but then it also is serving me for granular, utilities, additive synthesis, FM synthesis, wavefolding, distortion, mixing/VCA/etc. and whatever else I want to throw at it. It's obviously not as simple as Tyme Sefari, but the interface is very well designed and once I got up to speed I've never had to refer to documentation or tutorials for normal use (though I've hit the forums to try to grasp some of the more obscure units).
jwm
also, if you can find one (i feel like i've seen one or two for sale lately), look into modcan cv record. in the TSmk2 zone in terms of sound quality, but it just...works better, imo, though it lacks the full on cv control options of the TS. but 2 channels (and cv recording obvs) with quite capable buffer sizes in 10 hp is pretty rad. not pristine by any means, but capable nonetheless.

something else to consider here is there is a firmware revision for the TSmk2 in the works...and who know when that will actually happen, but i get the feeling like its going to iron out a lot of the kinks from the current one...but may also change the flavor (for better or worse, we'll see)

the 4ms DLD is by far the cleanest, most intuitive looper module i've used to date.
Gyroscope
Qu-Bit announced the Prism a couple of months ago. I think this could be of interest to you OP.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1