MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSL Six. New small format mixing desk
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author SSL Six. New small format mixing desk
Acquadar
Small, analogue, SSL new desk.
Ideal for eurorack/acoustic mix setup?

https://solidstatelogic.com/studio/SiX
BugBrand
Damn nice!
bobbcorr
I didn't see a price ...?
bwhittington
bobbcorr wrote:
I didn't see a price ...?

$1499
reodjectz
Move to general gear please.
arcanius
i would prefer if ssl went in the direction of something in between the x-desk and the xl-desk... i mean this is still nice but missing a lot of stuff...
Guinness ftw!
j259
Kinda cool.

2 band eq, not exactly SSL E or G obviously.

Bus compressor doesn't have variable attack. On gbus 10 or 30ms attack can make a big difference depending on material. Presumably release is equivalent to auto. For drum bus often 100 or 300ms is better, so with modular this would still probably work better as a master bus.

My guess is those preamps sound fine but don't really compete with portable Sound Devices let alone other higher end rack solutions, like Forssell or John Hardy.
cackland
Not worth the price tag imo. Understand it’s SSL, but come on... two channels?

Having worked on a variety of ssl consoles, understand their usual price tag is high and is warranted by the general amount of features they provide, but this was an opportunity to bring to market a product that would allow people to get theirs hands on a Ferrari of mixing consoles, but feel the price isn’t warranted here. Why bother?
flipper16
I personally would like to see an SSL version of the Mackie 1604 VLZ4 but with the ability to pick your own 500 series modules as on the xl-desk.
Acquadar
Modular + acoustic + Six

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvb9gWvS3wA&time_continue=170
Futuresound
cackland wrote:

Having worked on a variety of ssl consoles, understand their usual price tag is high and is warranted by the general amount of features they provide, but this was an opportunity to bring to market a product that would allow people to get theirs hands on a Ferrari of mixing consoles, but feel the price isn’t warranted here. Why bother?

Well no, it's six channels, twelve at mixdown.
TRUE DEEP
Good price point, i'm sure they will sell a lot of these.
cackland
Futuresound wrote:
cackland wrote:

Two mono channels, with a standard set of features. In the general sense of a ‘channel’
Futuresound
cackland wrote:
Futuresound wrote:
cackland wrote:

Two mono channels, with a standard set of features. In the general sense of a ‘channel’

2 mono channels and 2 stereo channels. 6 channels.

It's even in the name smile
taylor12k
cackland wrote:

and far from a "standard" set of features on a compact mixer in this price range.... channel compressors, buss compressor, inserts, fairly robust monitoring section, talkback mic/compressor, switchable EQ curves.. quite complex routing options....
thevegasnerve
I record everything live (typically 2-4 tracks), so this is really close to what I have been hoping to find, although 8 channels would make it a little more set it and forget, but it may be more interesting tool than my Mackie as far as its potential to add something useful to the live recordings.
Jalopy
reodjectz wrote:
Move to general gear please.
Dogma
I wish it was a Neve but man this is a killer piece and I’m super tempted.....

12 Chanel summer! Yeah the comp is simple and so is the eq but 1500 with motorised faders and all that I/o - killer

This seems to be aimed at our crowd
base615
Potentially worth the price of admission just for the buss compressor (granted a cut down version but I never change the settings on the mix buss)
calaveras
arcanius wrote:
i would prefer if ssl went in the direction of something in between the x-desk and the xl-desk... i mean this is still nice but missing a lot of stuff...
Guinness ftw!

My thoughts exactly.
I love the concept of the X Desk. But it's not enough inputs for me. They discontinued the X-Panda, so I'd have to pick up two X-Desks?
Wish they made a 16 channel version, which of course wouldn't be rackable.
The XL desk is great, wish I could afford it, but honestly, doubt it would fit my Brooklyn bedroom.

The six at least has me hoping this may be the start of a series of mixers. Maybe there will be a "Twelve" and a "24"?
Jason Brock
Dogma wrote:
12 Chanel summer!

In practice I'd say it's less than that (8 or 9?) because the extra inputs are stereo without pan control. So even if you feed it a mono track from your DAW you would have to go stereo in and use your DAW's pan settings.

Still, it seems like a great product and it's cool that SSL is entering this market and pricepoint.
Red Electric Rainbow
Behringer clone coming soon.
BenA718
Dogma wrote:
I wish it was a Neve but man this is a killer piece and I’m super tempted.....

12 Chanel summer! Yeah the comp is simple and so is the eq but 1500 with motorised faders and all that I/o - killer

This seems to be aimed at our crowd

For an analog ‘press’ to run your DAW’s output through it might be quite cool. Vintage King’s overview video sounds fantastic. It does have precious few channels and looks like it’s aimed at the record-one-track-at-a-time musician. Two Alpha Channels with an outboard two channel compressor may arguably provide better fidelity but will at least double the price, only have one aux, and no faders. (This is what I am using) However you can rack mount the whole thing into 3-4U, which is not possible here.
calaveras
Curious if the Listen Mic Compressor can be patched across inputs or the stereo buss. From what I understand, it's the secret ingredient for the 80's drum sound. The other ingredients being a great sounding drum set in a perfect room with a drummer with actual timing.
anselmi
Dogma wrote:
with motorised faders

eek!

motorized faders? hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2