MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need just (1) DOTCOM to MOTM converter cable.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Need just (1) DOTCOM to MOTM converter cable.
Synth Con Meo
Ok, I've looked through most the Dotcom to xxx threads/stickies so I can see it's fairly easy to make a Dotcom to MOTM converter but I only need (1) of them. I bought the MOOGAH SEM VCF kit from Synthcube which is my first 5U kit. I've put together quite a few Eurorack kits but thought I would start building some 5U kits.

I didn't realize it at the time when I got it that it is setup for either a Eurorack power connection or a MOTM connection. Which it has the 4 Pin .156 friction connector that I can just solder on. So I need to convert (1) of my Dotcom leads to a MOTM connection. The kit did actually have a 6 pin .100 Friction DOTCOM type connector but as stated the PCB isn't setup to accept it with the right leads going to the right traces. So one option is to solder 4 leads to the holes on the PCB and then solder those to the respective pins on that 6 pin connector but that seems a little janky.

Since I don't have the little tools to do the wire connection thingies on the connectors and don't have any connectors and I only need (1). I was wondering if anyone who has made them has an extra one I could buy or could have one made up?

Like the ones the JLR has put together would be perfect. I just find it a little hard to justify $60 for the (2) tools just to make the one. If I end up down the road needing to do more then I would go ahead and invest in the tools and getting a bunch of connectors.

Anyway, so if anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
levelhead3
Sounds like this won't actually help, but if you can find a MOTM connector I've got a bunch of single-ended dotcom leads that you're welcome to.

If nothing else it could save you from having to cannibalize one of your own dotcom leads.

I'm in Olympia but have Portland friends who will be passing by on their way back from Seattle tomorrow, so we could probably figure out a relatively hassle free way to get them to you. If you wanted 'em.
JohnLRice
You can actually just solder wires into MTA connectors if you are careful. Here's a picture of a super neat job Dave Brown did:

Actually Dave is in Portland I believe and is a super skilled tech and nice guy! thumbs up If you don't want to make something yourself I'm sure he could help or look at the middle of this page on his site for some ideas:
https://modularsynthesis.com/modules/tips/tips.htm

I was going to say "sure I'll make one for you" but then thinking about all of the commitments and promises I'm currently behind on, it seemed way to irresponsible! (hides) While I have a lot of cool ideas for modules, everyone should thank their lucky starts I've never attempted trying to be a manufacturer! eek! hihi oops
levelhead3
JohnLRice wrote:
While I have a lot of cool ideas for modules, everyone should thank their lucky starts I've never attempted trying to be a manufacturer! eek! hihi oops

Never say never. smile
davebr
Email me. I'll make you one. Email is on my home page.

Dave
JohnLRice
levelhead3 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
While I have a lot of cool ideas for modules, everyone should thank their lucky starts I've never attempted trying to be a manufacturer! eek! hihi oops

Never say never. smile
This is fun! If I can figure out how to extend my life another 200 years I bet I could accomplish a lot . . . or . . . I might procrastinate for 150 of those years because . . . there would be no rush? hmmm..... Dead Banana meh zombie oops
m0n0mania
You can always make your own MTA tool out of a cheap screwdriver using a Dremel
Synth Con Meo
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I just sent an email to Dave too so I should be good to go. Since I don't have all the appropriate connectors to make one up right now I didn't exactly know how the tool(s) helped out. So using an old screwdriver to make a tool is pretty smart.

Again if I start needing more I'll invest in picking up some connectors and build my own tools. I should just go ahead and order some connectors anyway just in case.

Thank you levelhead3 for the offer. Kind of like you did say though I would still be needing a MOTM connector.

Thanks again.
bwhittington
If you need a single MTA-156 connector, I could send you one. When I've been in your boat, I've just pulled a MTA-100 connector off the Dotcom harness and replaced it with MTA-156. The wire gauges are different, but I've never had an issue. You could probably fold the thinner wires over again to tighten it up if it bothered you. Pretty easy fix. So is having someone else make what you want, I suppose, which seems to be in progress. Just thought I'd mention an alternative.
davebr
davebr wrote:
Dave

Done
Synth Con Meo
davebr wrote:
davebr wrote:
Dave

Done

Yeah Dave is hooking me up (no pun intended). Thank you bwhittington for the offer. This is such a simple thing I actually felt a little embarrassed even asking about getting one made up. I just don't have a lot of components and such stored up yet. So even if I am missing some stupid resistor that was missing out of a kit I have to contact the seller and have them send one to me.

Thanks all
levelhead3
Good deal! And if you (or anyone else) needs some single ended leads in the future, I'm happy to provide gratis.

LED-man
I made this adapter pcbs for my customers and my own usage.
This are available on diysynth.de

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1