MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tuners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Tuners
Blckstage
In order to tune my VCO I want to invest in a decent tuner.

After some research I narrowed down to 2 options. The First one is one
mentioned a lot in various forums: the turbo tuner from Sonic Research.

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/

The second one is the Boss pedal chromatic tuner.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/tu-3/

I choose for this one because I already own a lot of Boss pedals and this would be a nice addition to my pedal
collection. But this one is stated as "chromatic tuner" Are all tuners chromatic? Or can all tunes be used to tune
your instrument/system. I also would like to use the tuner to tune my other stand alone (semi/modular) synths.

Are both of these good choices? Which one is the most useful or should I pick none of both?

Thanks in Advance for your help!

Jazzy
ggillon
I wouldn't get a guitar stompbox tuner for your VCOs. You want your tuner to be portable and lightweight. That turbo tuner looks unbearably bright too and the mini version isn't battery powered.

I got this one and it works fine with modular levels and waveforms

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-OT120-OT-120-Orchestral-Tuner/dp/B000GFCYP S

It has also a sound and sound back options which are nice for quick tuning by ear
SmartBits
I just use my old iPhone 4S with IK Multimedia iRig connector and the UltraTuner app:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/ultratuner/

Can tune chromatically or in studio mode for specific frequency. Can handle modular levels.
BenA718
If you have a Disting it has both a tuner and reference pitch.
Most handheld digital recorders have a tuner; I use the one in my DR-1 which is connected to the 2-track output of my mixer.
Flareless
If you're into some simple DIY you can easily hack a Snark tuner

jorg
I just use a common Seiko ST-909 (no longer in production apparently). Just about any tuner will do, as long as you watch the signal level. Chromatic is handy because you can use any note as your reference, but even guitar-style (EADG) would probably suffice.
abelovesfun
IMHO Mordax Data is the best tuner in the world for modular.
Pelsea
I use a Korg TM 50 (TM 60 is the current model)

thumbs up Has mic and patchcord inputs
thumbs up Displays pitch in cents
thumbs up Backlit display
thumbs up LEDs show flat or sharp
thumbs up Plays tuning pitch through speaker or headphones
thumbs up Sound back plays correct pitch nearest input
thumbs up Adjustable tuning reference
thumbs up Metronome with tap tempo
thumbs up fits in a shirt pocket
thumbs up $24

Much nicer than a Stroboconn.

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-TM60BK-Tuner-Metronome-Black/dp/B078C5HCVP  /ref=dp_ob_title_ce
sduck
There are a lot of viable tuner options available. I've got a bunch of them. For the modular, I use a korg OT-12 for the 5U, because it has a 1/4" jack, and for the euro I use either the O'tool or the mordax data. I also have one of those snarky tuners, modded as per the thread above (which currently needs a new battery).

As far as the choices you're considering, I don't really like either of them, although the turbo tuner has also been recommended to me many times. I just haven't found a reason to pay the $$ for one yet, as I already have a few too many. Don't even ask about my quest to find a working korg AT-120 (perhaps the coolest tuner design ever).
Keltie
+1 on Mordax. Might be overkill for ops needs, but if you don’t have a scope either, it becomes a bit of a no brainer if you have the space and budget.

The clocks and osc modes are very useable, so although it’s not cheap, it becomes a good deal as a multi function device imo.
JohnLRice
I like the Peterson strobe tuners the best. I have an older hardware StroboSoft one but the app on my iPhone has more features and is more accurate.
https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/
electricanada
Blckstage wrote:
In order to tune my VCO I want to invest in a decent tuner.

After some research I narrowed down to 2 options. The First one is one
mentioned a lot in various forums: the turbo tuner from Sonic Research.

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/

The second one is the Boss pedal chromatic tuner.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/tu-3/

I choose for this one because I already own a lot of Boss pedals and this would be a nice addition to my pedal
collection. But this one is stated as "chromatic tuner" Are all tuners chromatic? Or can all tunes be used to tune
your instrument/system. I also would like to use the tuner to tune my other stand alone (semi/modular) synths.

Are both of these good choices? Which one is the most useful or should I pick none of both?

Thanks in Advance for your help!

Jazzy


If you have an ipad or iphone, then TE Tuner cannot be topped. It's better than most inexpensive boxes and far cheaper to buy.
soup
I use a korg ca-2 ... super cheap, 1/4" jack, runs on batteries. Much better than a phone app for my needs.
davebr
I went the opposite route. I let my ears do the tuning. I built a custom final mixer and added spring reverb and an A-440 reference. That way I can always get to my A-440 and tune to zero beats.
DJB-002 Mixer/Spring Reverb/A-440 Standard

Since then I came up with a better A440 reference design.

Dave
sduck
electricanada wrote:

If you have an ipad or iphone, then TE Tuner cannot be topped. It's better than most inexpensive boxes and far cheaper to buy.


What is this TE Tuner? I can't find it on the apple store. I found something that looks like it might be it, but once it's on my phone it's called CTunerFree and is basically pretty crappy. I have iStroboSoft and Cleartune installed, which are both excellent tuners, but am always interested in something new (if it's good).
JohnLRice
sduck wrote:
electricanada wrote:

If you have an ipad or iphone, then TE Tuner cannot be topped. It's better than most inexpensive boxes and far cheaper to buy.


What is this TE Tuner? I can't find it on the apple store. I found something that looks like it might be it, but once it's on my phone it's called CTunerFree and is basically pretty crappy. I have iStroboSoft and Cleartune installed, which are both excellent tuners, but am always interested in something new (if it's good).
hmmm..... First page of hits for a Google search on "TE Tuner" are all links for TonalEnergy Tuner and Metronome. hihi

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tonalenergy-tuner-metronome/id49771636 2?mt=8

https://tonalenergy.com/
Blairio
If you need to tune your modules so that they are in tune with other musical instruments, I guess all you need is a reliable 440hz (concert A) source as a reference. Quite a few modules offer this - for instance the Liivatera Noise module has a 440hz sinewave output.

Otherwise there are a host of shareware / freeware programs for macs & pc's. My current favourite for my mac is the Bubblematic Bubble Tuner, by Geoff Cooke.

Finally, if you have any multiprocessor fx (stomp box or rack), then many of them have a tuner built in. I recently picked up the splendid wee Zoom MS70CDR multi fx. Apart from very good reverbs, delays and mod fx, it has a pretty good tuner too.
Blckstage
Thanks all for the many many options!

Since I own a disting MK4 and a Tascam DR40 which both have a tuner on board and which I did not knew I have more money to spend on modular! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Jazzy
electricanada
JohnLRice wrote:
sduck wrote:
electricanada wrote:

If you have an ipad or iphone, then TE Tuner cannot be topped. It's better than most inexpensive boxes and far cheaper to buy.


What is this TE Tuner? I can't find it on the apple store. I found something that looks like it might be it, but once it's on my phone it's called CTunerFree and is basically pretty crappy. I have iStroboSoft and Cleartune installed, which are both excellent tuners, but am always interested in something new (if it's good).
hmmm..... First page of hits for a Google search on "TE Tuner" are all links for TonalEnergy Tuner and Metronome. hihi

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tonalenergy-tuner-metronome/id49771636 2?mt=8

https://tonalenergy.com/


That’s it. It’s excellent. Even does just intonation.
electricanada
That said, I always tune my oscillators to each other by ear.
vrfats
Tuning my VCO's became a lot easier when I realized I could use the ext in on my z3000 could tune most things. I still end up having to tune modules without dedicated square waves by ear or external tuner and always end up getting kind of annoyed when tuning Rings.
nurbivore
I have a Noise Engineering Soleo Vero. The three channels w/ pass-through make it a very nice Living VCO companion.
thrace
I use a Korg CA1 tuner that I originally bought for my guitar and this works great.
Keltie
vrfats wrote:
Tuning my VCO's became a lot easier when I realized I could use the ext in on my z3000 could tune most things. I still end up having to tune modules without dedicated square waves by ear or external tuner and always end up getting kind of annoyed when tuning Rings.


Yeah, that can be a tricky one alright.

I tend to get best / fastest results in sympathetic strings mode with brightness fully off, damping more or less fully up, structure fully down and position centred.

You want to create a fundamental without too many harmonics, and this setting gets you there ( from memory)

The worst way to try to tune rings is with brightness up, IMO.

fwiw, my rings tends to tune a lil sharp anyway, but for string/ bell kinda sounds, that's actually no bad thing within reason, and I live with it OK.
pmboos
Has anyone ever used a Korg Pitchblack rackmount? I have a rack for some effects that I use and was thinking it may make a good choice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group