MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New SSL VCO ???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author New SSL VCO ???
dslocum
Guys,

"IF" I were to do an updated 1 MU VCO, it would be based on the CEM3340. I like the existing feature set on the 1200, so I'm inclined to stick to it unless there are other suggestions.

Do you think a rotary octave range switch or continuous coarse pot would be preferred. The range switch would add to the price.

Another thought would be a coarse pot but add a center-off toggle switch for +/- 1 octave.

Another concern is the hard sync. It would be different sounding from a saw core. Would that bother anyone?

- So here we go. I can't wait for the comments!
JohnLRice
How about having the range control be radically different? I present you the SSL 1124 BinRan VCO with Binary Range control. eek! cool The three switches add 1, 2, or 4 octaves so available ranges are:
64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, and all switches on/up is the "Wide or Coarse" range where the Fine tune pot becomes a Coarse tune pot. The jacks accept gate inputs so range can be controlled by sequencers or LFOs etc. If a switch is already 'on' a gate could either do nothing OR it could remove that increment, maybe make that behavior jumper selectable, Normal - only turn on, Inverse - set range opposite of switch position?

I think it would be fun, usuful and stand out in the VCO crowd. spinning nodnod

Dave Peck
You could do that octave switching with just two toggle switches instead of three. The first switch adds or subtracts one octave. The second switch adds or subtracts two octaves. So you get -3, -2,-1, 'off', +1, +2, +3. The '-3' and '+3' are achieved by setting both switches up or both switches down.
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
You could do that octave switching with just two toggle switches instead of three. The first switch adds or subtracts one octave. The second switch adds or subtracts two octaves. So you get -3, -2,-1, 'off', +1, +2, +3. The '-3' and '+3' are achieved by setting both switches up or both switches down.
Good idea! thumbs up Although . . . hmmm..... . . . I suppose the wide/coarse position would be both switches center off but the gate control wouldn't be as easy to patch because you'd need some sort of bi-polar gate source . . .cool when using LFOs but not easy when using gates from sequencers.
Dave Peck
Also, have you considered changing the pulse width control from a three position toggle to a variable pot? (it would have a small knob). I really like the sound of a pulse wave that is juuuust slightly away from a 50% square wave - sounds massive! Likewise a pulse with a similar setting and just a small amount of PWM so it goes from maybe 49% to maybe 40%, staying pretty 'wide' while never becoming a 50% square wave.

But on the current design, you would have to connect some kind of small DC offset source to the PWM input to get the first effect, and you would need a DC-coupled mixer module to combine a DC offset and an LFO to get the second effect. Having a variable PW knob would make it simpler to get these kinds of effects.
ericD13
JohnLRice wrote:
How about having the range control be radically different? I present you the SSL 1124 BinRan VCO with Binary Range control. eek! cool The three switches add 1, 2, or 4 octaves so available ranges are:
64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, and all switches on/up is the "Wide or Coarse" range where the Fine tune pot becomes a Coarse tune pot.

You're missing 128 = 2^(1+2+4)
JohnLRice
ericD13 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, and all switches on/up is the "Wide or Coarse" range where the Fine tune pot becomes a Coarse tune pot.

You're missing 128 = 2^(1+2+4)
hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it
hsosdrum
Although I'd prefer a multiple octave switch in place of the coarse tuning control, adding a +/– one octave switch to the existing coarse pot would be a good compromise for those who also want to be able to manually sweep the oscillator from D.C. to light.

Providing it sounded as sweet as the 1200 (especially the square wave), such a device would sorely tempt me to replace my 6 remaining Q106As.
kindredlost
I’d prefer a toggle switch over a rotary as well. The rotary switches on my older Q106’s are all scratchy by now (10 years old). I have to “work “ them a bit for them to settle down. A toggle is a more stable solution as long as I can read the octave position easily.
josaka
A kobol sounding osc with a 921B feature set would be the ultimate for me.. smile
wsy
Keep the coarse "DC to Daylight" pot. It's darn handy.

Makes it easy to explore going from a slow LFO to near ultrasonic.

Much creative potential.

Octave switches can be handy (+-1, +-2, +-4) but please keep the knob!

- Bill
MindMachine
^ That deal right there.
BudgetInfinity
Is anyone else making single wide VCO's in 5U MU?

I've been looking around and can't find any. SSL sold out of their 1U VCO, and I see the 2U double VCO from Moon is sold out too.

I guess there's always eurorack... seriously, i just don't get it
Dave Peck
BudgetInfinity wrote:
Is anyone else making single wide VCO's in 5U MU?

I've been looking around and can't find any.

:

A few, like Krisp1/Oakley. But not many out there other than these two.
JohnLRice
Suit And Tie Guy!

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio offers a 1U version of the Music From Outer Space Voltage Controlled Oscillator

Sorry for the hijack Doug
pj_composer
Curetronic VCO Light: http://curetronic.com/product/vco-light-v2/
MindMachine
JohnLRice wrote:
Suit And Tie Guy!

Very interesting. That answers a question I was just asking myself minutes ago as I sat in front of my MU. I have 'X' empty spaces and this may just buy me another iota of 'X'.
dslocum
Good suggestions all!

I'm working on a design that addresses just about EVERYONE here. If it works, you can call me :

hihi screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!

(If it doesn't work, you'll never know! He he hyper )
Xero
ooh tempting.

I already have one ssl vco, maybe I need another????? I need more cabinet space lmfao
Rex Coil 7
Xero wrote:
ooh tempting ... I need more cabinet space lmfao
Yea, ain't that a bitch! There is so much great 5U stuff I'd like to add to my current 5U stuff. MOAR 5IVE YOO STUFFS!!!!

Redneck

applause w00t
dslocum
OK, here's the idea. Bop! (hides)

josaka
looks good.. dont get the sine output though.. its the wave that gets used the least in my studio.. as an lfo occasionally.. sure there are other more interesting options.. saw? put the sine in with the selectable others ?
square and saw outs are most used here..
hsosdrum
Looks great, Doug! Love the addition of the PWM control and the Octave/Vernier options for the Coarse control. (My secret identity as a technical writer forces me to point out that the illustration omits the "n" from "Vernier".)

Would it go slow enough for LFO duties?
dslocum
hsosdrum wrote:
Looks great, Doug! Love the addition of the PWM control and the Octave/Vernier options for the Coarse control. (My secret identity as a technical writer forces me to point out that the illustration omits the "n" from "Vernier".)

Would it go slow enough for LFO duties?

Doh! Fixed on my master. Thanks for catching that.

Yes, slow enough for Government work (slow vibratos, swells, etc.), but maybe not as much as a serious "dedicated" LFO which can go into the minutes or hours! :-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1