MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDI problems - early BEMI Easel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author MIDI problems - early BEMI Easel
bcomnes
Lately my Easel is decided to have a problem with MIDI.

I send it a signal from a MIDI Sequencer and it plays fine for a brief while and then just stops. It's a different duration every time but never more than a minute or two, sometimes only 10-15 seconds.

seriously, i just don't get it very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating Dead Banana

If I recycle the Easel on/off it comes back just fine only to fail again in a few minutes.

I've tried everything, checked the cables and the MIDI port, tried different note lengths, assured the arpeggiator was off, tried different EG times and nothing seems to help.

Anybody else have this problem or have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
lumin
For me, midi input locks up if I send it midi clock & note info at the same time. You can only send one or the other unfortunately. This issue has been mentioned on the board a few times.
bcomnes
Thanks for that , I turned off "sync" in Ableton which sends clock and it seems to be doing fine now.. applause

Some day we might get a midi update
Liddlepud
I have a BEMI easel from the fist batch and I called into KMR to speak about updating the midi. Apparently they've changed the midi/keyboard PCB and the newer Easels have a port to update the firmware. The originals don't have the port so you're stuck with what you have unless you want to pay for a new PCB.
lumin
I think someone on here updated an older keyboard with an atmel debugger and adding a resistor. The instructions have been posted in the past.
lumin
bcomnes wrote:
Thanks for that , I turned off "sync" in Ableton which sends clock and it seems to be doing fine now.. applause

Some day we might get a midi update

Glad that helped!
bcomnes
My early Easel was firmware upgraded one time because I live very close to BEMIs Grants Pass OR former location. That factory installed upgrade allowed me to fine tune the pressure voltage range.

And yes there is no firmware port, but I was wondering if one of the Iprogram card ports might provide a path for that? Of course that assumes there might ever be a firmware upgrade to the Easel and/or the Iprogram card. hmmm.....
Streakin
@bcomnes is your 218 v1 or v2? if its v2 PM me and I get it updated for you.
bcomnes
Well I am totally clueless as to what the 218 differences are or how you can tell which 218 version is which , mine just says Touch Activated Source Model 218,

The unit is a very early one, it was brought to NAMM 2014 and released to Noisebug in Janury 2014, they got three and I was lucky to get one.

It is BEMI factory issue and not a clone

When I received it, it could not do the pressure voltage adjustment, and since I lived near the BEMI factory, it was dropped off and I got it back with that firmware upgrade completed. (one of the benefits of being a neighbor of Todd Barton)

What upgrade/function are you offering to do? and how?

BTW, by simply turning off the MIDI clock send my MIDI issue went away as far as I can tell.

Thanks for chipping in
Streakin
@bcomnes just unscrew the 218 from the case and look at the PCB on the backside it will say 218e ver1 or ver2.
ArguZ
The card doubler comes with a firmware update port.
Would that work on the older model ?
Drillionaire
ArguZ wrote:
The card doubler comes with a firmware update port.
Would that work on the older model ?

It depends. If the 218 is old enough not to have a code loader, then no. The 218 will ignore any firmware card.

If it's new enough to have a code loader but rev1 hardware, then you're going to end up with a 218 that will only let you play each key once per power cycle (it will be trying to sustain everything indefinitely because it is missing the required pull up resistor for the sustain to work correctly).

Also worth mentioning, to boot a 218 into its code loader, turn all 6 knobs fully clockwise. If the keyboard is unresponsive when powered up in this state, it's got a code loader. If it functions as it would when powered up with the knobs in any other position, no code loader.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1